Waterfront District "Hyperion Wharf" Set to be added to Pleasure Island

Buried20KLeague

I'm glad they're finally going to actually do something with the area, but unless there REALLY is unique entertainment options, I'll be underwhelmed. I'm worried that won't be a focus... It'll be an "afterthought". And we all know what happens, long-term, to "afterthoughts" at Disney.

I don't think they need more shops and restaurants in the area... I think they need things to DO. Family oriented or not, I don't care. :shrug:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Does anyone know what Zach Devine is, as far as I can tell it's the only thing new in this. If it's a made up name as well then this is all pretty much meaningless.

THey typically use place holder names on signage to make the concept art look more realistic. I doubt that will be a final name.

An additional 1500 restaurant seats are going in here, so there will be a LOT of new stuff here.

THey typically use place holder names on signage to make the concept art look more realistic. I doubt that will be a final name.

An additional 1500 restaurant seats are going in here, so there will be a LOT of new stuff here.

Perhaps Zach Devine was the illustrator of the concept art and decided to give himself a nod? :lol:

s8film40

Yeah that's what I was thinking it could be, the Zach Devine name seems to be more prevalent than anything else, it's visible in at least 3 of the concept pieces. Perhaps it's the name of the designer.

So basically this isn't really a big announcement at all, what it actually entails is tearing down a building and replacing it with steps, redecorating an existing empty area, and adding some lights. So the question I have to wonder about is why would they move forward with these concepts if they don't already have businesses slated to fill the spots. You will generally see Malls, shopping areas, etc. be very boastful of who will be occupying their spaces as this will usually draw more businesses. The only thing I can think of is they have been trying and have been unsuccessful at getting anyone to sign on, so decided to announce the plans with the hopes that it will now seem more appealing to potential businesses, and generate some hype. If this is the case this isn't a good sign as most businesses will have to make these type of decisions very carefully, and I'm sure one of the first things they ask Disney is "Who else do you have filling these spaces?".

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yeah that's what I was thinking it could be, the Zach Devine name seems to be more prevalent than anything else, it's visible in at least 3 of the concept pieces. Perhaps it's the name of the designer.

So basically this isn't really a big announcement at all, what it actually entails is tearing down a building and replacing it with steps, redecorating an existing empty area, and adding some lights. So the question I have to wonder about is why would they move forward with these concepts if they don't already have businesses slated to fill the spots. You will generally see Malls, shopping areas, etc. be very boastful of who will be occupying their spaces as this will usually draw more businesses. The only thing I can think of is they have been trying and have been unsuccessful at getting anyone to sign on, so decided to announce the plans with the hopes that it will now seem more appealing to potential businesses, and generate some hype. If this is the case this isn't a good sign as most businesses will have to make these type of decisions very carefully, and I'm sure one of the first things they ask Disney is "Who else do you have filling these spaces?".

I would disagree and say its a massive announcement. This puts a central theme right back into the heart of DTD and gives the place a real identity. The easy way out would have been for Disney to have put a few shops and restaurants in the current empty locations and left it as that. They have gone the hard route and put a lot of time and money into creating an infrastructure that is deserving of the Disney name. With a place that looks as good as this, they wont have nay problems bringing in external businesses for the space. I also expect to see some Disney operated locations.

MarkTwain

Consider me impressed by the concept art. I was afraid Disney would just have a major mash-up of styles and facades that had nothing to do with each other, but this artwork looks like the district will actually have a somewhat cohesive sense of setting... a sort of urban waterfront, that may actually have a nice nighttime vibe, even if one that's calmer than PI's was. But as others have noted, how they choose to fill those buildings will have the biggest impact.

JustInTime

I would disagree and say its a massive announcement. This puts a central theme right back into the heart of DTD and gives the place a real identity. The easy way out would have been for Disney to have put a few shops and restaurants in the current empty locations and left it as that. They have gone the hard route and put a lot of time and money into creating an infrastructure that is deserving of the Disney name. With a place that looks as good as this, they wont have nay problems bringing in external businesses for the space. I also expect to see some Disney operated locations.

Agreed. This is pretty huge. Disney won't have an issue filling the place. They are probably already choosing which ones they want if they haven't already.

ryanduggers

To some people the glass is half full, others half empty.

My take on this is that it is much better than is what is there now. Nothing.

I only wish it wouldn't have taken three years to figure it out.

s8film40

Don't get me wrong I love the look of this and think it's a great vision for turning this area around. However I have never seen anything like this announced without a listing of the things that will occupy the spaces. It's kind of like if they announced a park and said there would be lots of great attractions in it but didn't say what they are. The businesses that occupy these spaces will be the factor that makes or breaks this. I really think if they had any businesses at all lined up they certainly would have been part of the announcement. It seems more like this might just be a desperate last ditch effort to get some to sign up. My worry would be that until someone signs on as a tenant this project may just sit on a shelf somewhere.

PKD

Not true. In FY 2009 the central theme was original revolving around a lighthouse. Where did you get your info???

a LIGHThouse does not mean a nautical theme and the component from the Lighthouse was/still is apart of the design.

When you look at the concept art they have released, you can see that their entire design is based on lighting/electricity. Many have already picked up on little components that are going to create the new waterfront.

Just some people took "lighthouse" and assumed that automatically meant nautical theme. Not to say there won't be some nautical touches, but that wasn't the case.

Sorry for being a realist but this is a MALL! When I go to the mall I go to stores (check). When I go to the mall I buy food (check). When I am at the mall there is some sort of entertainment (santa, fashion show, dj) (check). So disney has decided to make a mall. Nothing to see here people keep moving along..........:brick:

lazyboy97o

Sorry for being a realist but this is a MALL! When I go to the mall I go to stores (check). When I go to the mall I buy food (check). When I am at the mall there is some sort of entertainment (santa, fashion show, dj) (check). So disney has decided to make a mall. Nothing to see here people keep moving along..........:brick:
Well, technically it is probably closer to a "lifestyle center."

imagineer boy

Looks nice, but I can't say I'm horribly impressed with it. I'm actually more excited about the changes to the AMC theater.

But do we really need characters plastered all over the place? The Mickey face and flowers and trees are very unnecessary IMO.

JustInTime

The same counts could be said about all Disney Parks. If you don't like it, don't go...but this art is far from a mall. No sense in knocking something that you don't know anything about yet. So, feel free to move along! :lol:

ImaYoyo

a LIGHThouse does not mean a nautical theme and the component from the Lighthouse was/still is apart of the design.

When you look at the concept art they have released, you can see that their entire design is based on lighting/electricity. Many have already picked up on little components that are going to create the new waterfront.

Just some people took "lighthouse" and assumed that automatically meant nautical theme. Not to say there won't be some nautical touches, but that wasn't the case.
But the names on the sketches were "The Waterfront" and "Pacific-style wharf"...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom