Waterfront District "Hyperion Wharf" Set to be added to Pleasure Island

PKD

I think it was something like Mahogany Bay. My guess is that name got nixed when Carnival built a "Mahogany Bay" in Honduras as a port for its cruise ships.

No, that is incorrect. The original name was also centered around electricity/lighting.

The Nautical theme was not their direction either

CTXRover

Very nice concept art. I hope it looks like this and it truly does look like a step in the right direction. I also really like the name. Seems classier to me, even though I enjoyed Pleasure Island back in the day.

I thought this piece of art was interesting: http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.c...wp-content/uploads/2010/11/hwd003445LARGE.jpg

From looking at the three images released, this looks to be looking down toward where Motion was at the end of strip (closer to the Marketplace side) Could that be a new theater venue on the left? I can't tell, but with the name (Buena Vist...,) and the outside architecture, I felt it could be. I always felt DTD could use a nice theater for off-broadway shows, traveling shows, etc.

I guess we'll see.

JustInTime

If you look closely at one of the concept art pictures... you should be able to pick out at least one of the "show" aspects that's currently planned.

I figured they were going to be doing some kind of a show with that set up. It looks fantastic. I am guessing it will be with the spot lights that are scattered through the area? Or the building that says "Bunea" on it? And I can't wait to see what will actually be out on the water. Judging by the modle, people are already waiting! jk :lol:

hpyhnt 1000

If you look closely at one of the concept art pictures... you should be able to pick out at least one of the "show" aspects that's currently planned.

I notice there's a firebreather and jugglers and hoops or something in the first image; are they going for a kind of modern/edgy circus sort of thing, maybe along the lines of a Cirque du Soliel acrobatic display? :shrug:

Thurp

Beautiful! I cannot wait to see the final product. It doesn't look like they are going the cheap route.

Unfortunately it doesn't give adult guests something to do at night other than shop or eat.

Edited to add: Those waterfront grassy steps are right out of Universal's CityWalk. But I love them at Universal so I don't see anything wrong with replicating a great place to hang out.

GLaDOS

Well, at least it'll look nice.

Other than that, well my mamma told me to not say anything if I don't have anything nice to say.

maroman

I like the description they're giving 'nostalgic yet modern take on an early 20th century port city and amusement pier' I like it cause it gives the area a solid theme like the parks now.

devoy1701

um.. let it be world of color :)

When I first saw the slight amphitheater look in the concept art, This is the first thing I thought.

But just like the issues with having this in Animal Kingdom, the Sassagoula River is more or less now a natural body of water that is filled with wildlife. I don't think a show on that scale is possible here unless they were to quarter off a portion of the river infront of the Wharf.

JustInTime

I notice there's a firebreather and jugglers and hoops or something in the first image; are they going for a kind of modern/edgy circus sort of thing, maybe along the lines of a Cirque du Soliel acrobatic display? :shrug:

AHHH! Great eye! I do see the fire breathers!

jmb2676

I like the look and feel of the place, I just will hold my breath to see what new restaurants/shops they will be adding. I want more specialty, no more "generic." More Raglan, less T-Rex Cafe.

Agree completely. At least Raglan has something fun going on after 10:00.

Captain Hank

I find it somewhat interesting that (as far as I can tell) the concept art shows only the area east of Paradiso 37. The third drawing appears to be approximately where Motion is now--there's a little bit of Fuego visible to the far right. I do wonder what their plans are for further up Hill Street.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
When I first saw the slight amphitheater look in the concept art, This is the first thing I thought.

But just like the issues with having this in Animal Kingdom, the Sassagoula River is more or less now a natural body of water that is filled with wildlife. I don't think a show on that scale is possible here unless they were to quarter off a portion of the river infront of the Wharf.

Right, I wouldn't get my hopes up for WOC. Some of the insiders on the other posts about PI changes had pointed out that pretty much to do a WOC transformation, you'd need to be able to drain the waterfront completly, install the entire structure, and then refill, plus as was pointed out, there is the natural wildlife/habitat to consider.

Personally, I think the main reason you'd not see WOC here is that if they were to put that sort of investment into WDW, they would put it in a park where you'd need to buy a park admission in order to see it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Personally, I think the main reason you'd not see WOC here is that if they were to put that sort of investment into WDW, they would put it in a park where you'd need to buy a park admission in order to see it.

That's exactly right. There is no way you are going to see WOC at DTD. WDW has two night shows that need attention, Fantastmic and RoE, and they are inside parks, with paying guests.

rsoxguy

I think that the concept art looks very nice. I must admit that I never stepped foot into PI (non-drinker, etc.), and so I have no real frame of reference as a source of comparison, but this looks good.

ImaYoyo

No, that is incorrect. The original name was also centered around electricity/lighting.

The Nautical theme was not their direction either
Not true. In FY 2009 the central theme was original revolving around a lighthouse. Where did you get your info???

JustInTime

That's exactly right. There is no way you are going to see WOC at DTD. WDW has two night shows that need attention, Fantastmic and RoE, and they are inside parks, with paying guests.

Agreed but a light show could be cheap and awesome. Which would make since with the "light" theme.

devoy1701

btw, wth is with the censoring on the Disney Blog site?! This is the second time my post has been removed before posting and I didn't even say anything that bashing.

My post said, "The concept art looks great, but this place has been shut down for 3 years now and with the completion of this project being about 3 years, it seems like the closure of PI was a bit premature. Had TDO had all of it's ducks in a row when the closure happened, we might be enjoying this area for WDW's 40th"

Oh yeah, I also said the Atlantic Dance Hall was terrible....(exact words)...does that warrant not posting my post? Are they really that afraid of negativity?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom