Waterfront District "Hyperion Wharf" Set to be added to Pleasure Island

TomHendricks

While I liked PI, I'm not really missing it. It had a "good" 20 year run, lets see how this does. Probably in another 20 or so years we or others will be having the same debate when they change it to something else.

While I went to the clubs not that often, count me in as one of those puzzled why they couldn't keep one club and maybe scale it down. Hell I was upset when they removed the recording studio, have very fond memories of singing Love Shack very poorly there.

Looking at the HW concept art, It's definitely a place I can see myself strolling through, taking in the atmosphere. Whether I spend any money there depends of course on what shops/eateries exist. I am hoping for some really unique stuff.

I am also hoping there is some "ambient" entertainment. It doesn't nessesarily have to be some massive show, just a bunch of small things that captures folks attention and makes them smile. It's the little things that count.

I can't offer any opinion on PI as I was unfortunately never able to experience it. But, being that I am not a dance club/bar type of person, the only place at PI I would have gone to would have probably been the AC, it sounds like it was a great place. I probably would have enjoyed the general outdoor ambiance of PI as well.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I've had to delete a lot of arguing here between two posters. Let's keep it on track and let people discuss this sensibly. If you want to argue with each other I'd appreciate it if you would take it to Private Messages or emails. Thanks.

trr1

does anyone know why the bus stop was put at the marketplace end and not in the middle around Planet Hollywood or T-rex so you don't have to walk so far to either end?

lazyboy97o

does anyone know why the bus stop was put at the marketplace end and not in the middle around Planet Hollywood or T-rex so you don't have to walk so far to either end?
The Pleasure Island Bus Stop is not far from there. No longer used, the West Side Bus Stop was located north of the West Side, past the expansion plots and near the massive expanse of parking.

trr1

The Pleasure Island Bus Stop is not far from there. No longer used, the West Side Bus Stop was located north of the West Side, past the expansion plots and near the massive expanse of parking.

but why not close the market place and the westside and leave the Pleasure Island bus stop open?

lazyboy97o

but why not close the market place and the westside and leave the Pleasure Island bus stop open?
People would simply hate that configuration. First, there would be the crowding at the single bus stop. Second, Americans on average will walk about 600 feet in a shopping center environment. So you would have been dropping people off at Pleasure Island, where most of them were not heading, and forcing them to walk all the way out to the Marketplace.

Does anybody know if Disney ever ran separate busses to the distinct areas of Downtown Disney? I think one way of helping to spread the crowds would be to try running busses straight from a hotel to the Marketplace and back and another from the hotel to Hyperion Wharf back to the hotel.

trr1

People would simply hate that configuration. First, there would be the crowding at the single bus stop. Second, Americans on average will walk about 600 feet in a shopping center environment. So you would have been dropping people off at Pleasure Island, where most of them were not heading, and forcing them to walk all the way out to the Marketplace.

Does anybody know if Disney ever ran separate busses to the distinct areas of Downtown Disney? I think one way of helping to spread the crowds would be to try running busses straight from a hotel to the Marketplace and back and another from the hotel to Hyperion Wharf back to the hotel.
but isnt there only one bus stop now at down town disney? which is at the end of marketplace near the rainforest cafe?

disneyrcks

Nightclubs go out of business all the time and there is little mourning. But there's reasons why so many people are upset about the closing of the Pleasure Island clubs. 1) Most were highly themed well beyond most night clubs. 2) The way management ran PI into the ground, either on purpose or because of incompetence. 3) The promises that several clubs would remain open but didn't. 4) The closure with absolutely nothing on-line to replace any of it. 5) The dog minded refusal to consider reopening AC, CW and 8TRAX even though they have nothing leased for those spaces and all of them could be configured to meet their definition of family-friendly.

That's why we're upset.

I can understand that....I guess what I am trying to say is that it is ridiculous what they did to PI but now there is something new coming in and being a person that never had a chance to experience anything PI had to offer, I am just excited to potentially have some nightlife at WDW. I don't want to change anyone's opinions on why they don't like it or why they are upset. I am just tossing my perspective (and why I am looking forward to it) into the discussion.

niteobsrvr

I am pretty sure that the Pleasure Island Bus Stop is still open, but somebody else is going to have to confirm that.

Pleasure Island's bus stop is open.

I imagine with the Hyperion Wharf District coming, there will be some reconfiguration of the parking and bus stops in that area. I forsee the closure of the Marketplace stop and the "New"?? Wharf bus stop being built or rebuilt in such a way as to accomodate much more passenger traffic.

As it is now, and in the past, the double bus stop has left oopen the opportunity for a lot of logistical nightmares for guests and drivers alike. FOr example, a full bus pulls into Marketplace stop where there are 50 people waiting. Only 10 or 15 guests exit the bus as the rest are heading to the PI stop. Only 10 to 15 can get on. The other 35 or so have to wait for the next bus 20 minutes out. At PI, the remainder of the passengers that wanted to exit there get off the bus leaving the 10 to 15 passengers from the Marketplace stop onboard. 10 people get on the bus at PI. SO now a bus capapble of holding 75 people heads off to the resort with 25 passengers while 35 are still waiting back at Marketplace. You can see why this is aggravating to everyone.

Thats one scenario. Another one is the driver coming in on the bus is scheduled to go on break. At the Marketplace, the bus fills to capacity. However, the bus still has to stop at PI so the driver swap can be made as that is where the the operations is run out of because there is no room at Marketplace. SO the only reason you ahve to wait at PI is to swap a driver. When the bus pulls in there are another 30 people waiting to board but alas they cant because the only person exiting the bus is the driver.

Things like this happen all night long at DTD and sometimes during the day when Typhoon is open.

jt04

I imagine with the Hyperion Wharf District coming, there will be some reconfiguration of the parking and bus stops in that area. I forsee the closure of the Marketplace stop and the "New"?? Wharf bus stop being built or rebuilt in such a way as to accomodate much more passenger traffic.

As it is now, and in the past, the double bus stop has left oopen the opportunity for a lot of logistical nightmares for guests and drivers alike. FOr example, a full bus pulls into Marketplace stop where there are 50 people waiting. Only 10 or 15 guests exit the bus as the rest are heading to the PI stop. Only 10 to 15 can get on. The other 35 or so have to wait for the next bus 20 minutes out. At PI, the remainder of the passengers that wanted to exit there get off the bus leaving the 10 to 15 passengers from the Marketplace stop onboard. 10 people get on the bus at PI. SO now a bus capapble of holding 75 people heads off to the resort with 25 passengers while 35 are still waiting back at Marketplace. You can see why this is aggravating to everyone.

Thats one scenario. Another one is the driver coming in on the bus is scheduled to go on break. At the Marketplace, the bus fills to capacity. However, the bus still has to stop at PI so the driver swap can be made as that is where the the operations is run out of because there is no room at Marketplace. SO the only reason you ahve to wait at PI is to swap a driver. When the bus pulls in there are another 30 people waiting to board but alas they cant because the only person exiting the bus is the driver.

Things like this happen all night long at DTD and sometimes during the day when Typhoon is open.

Situations as you describe are entirely unecessary. What we have is a failure of imagination.

I have figured out a solution to the transportation issues at WDW. It really fits the "less is more" theme of a thread in the Imagineering thread that I started. Someday I will put it in writing but it is complicated so I will create a seperate thread. Suffice to say WDW needs a bold new transportation plan. It can be accomplished and it would improve the bottom line dramatically while at the same time greatly improving the guest experience.

jrriddle

A couple of friends took the us here when we were in LA, it's called The Edison. If they use this as a template for Mannequins or any part of Hyperion Wharf then I'm all for it. This place was just amazing!
www.edisondowntown.com

lazyboy97o

That is why I asked if Disney ever tried direct service between the Downtown Disney districts. At the appropriate times, run busses straight between the hotels and a single Downtown Disney district. It would be a bit more complicated to operate, but it would utilize the biggest advantage of busses, flexibility.

Mouse Detective

That is why I asked if Disney ever tried direct service between the Downtown Disney districts. At the appropriate times, run busses straight between the hotels and a single Downtown Disney district. It would be a bit more complicated to operate, but it would utilize the biggest advantage of busses, flexibility.

This would make sense at some peak times. Most runs though can be made to both DTD stops because the buses are not usually full.

jt04

A couple of friends took the us here when we were in LA, it's called The Edison. If they use this as a template for Mannequins or any part of Hyperion Wharf then I'm all for it. This place was just amazing!
www.edisondowntown.com

Very intersting link. Yes I think this is exactly the type of thing HW is aiming for but with a twist in that it will become much more modern as the evening goes on. But I could see where early in the evening they would pipe in the same sort of music and other atmospherics.

As a sidenote, I was disappointed that the Paradiso restaurant did not have the lighting features depicted in the original renderings when the doors opened. But in the new artwork you can see something similar but improved. Obviously they entire lighting design was being reimagined and I think it should be amazing when the Wharf opens.

TP2000

www.edisondowntown.com

Ah, The Edison! That's my favorite place to have a cocktail in Los Angeles, ever. I'm so glad you had a chance to go!

The Edison is another great example of how outside companies and trendy businesses have not only risen to a Disney level of showmanship to provide goods or services, in this case a cocktail lounge. But in many cases, outside companies have far surpassed the level of showmanship and uniqueness that Disney is providing with its latest stuff to its clientele on their own property.

There's stuff like The Edison happening in big cities around the country, and then Disney is creating mid-level shopping malls that aren't cutting edge in any way and putting out fluffy press releases claiming more corporate chains in a mall is going to be "Magical!" and "World Class!" and "The stuff precious Memories are made of!". :hurl:

At some point you've just got to say the emporer has no clothes.

jrriddle

Ah, The Edison! That's my favorite place to have a cocktail in Los Angeles, ever. I'm so glad you had a chance to go!

The Edison is another great example of how outside companies and trendy businesses have not only risen to a Disney level of showmanship to provide goods or services, in this case a cocktail lounge. But in many cases, outside companies have far surpassed the level of showmanship and uniqueness that Disney is providing with its latest stuff to its clientele on their own property.

There's stuff like The Edison happening in big cities around the country, and then Disney is creating mid-level shopping malls that aren't cutting edge in any way and putting out fluffy press releases claiming more corporate chains in a mall is going to be "Magical!" and "World Class!" and "The stuff precious Memories are made of!". :hurl:

At some point you've just got to say the emporer has no clothes.

Really just a great place. I sincerely hope that the Imagineers are going to rip off the themeing & atmosphere of The Edison.
I also agree with your statement. The only place it seems that Disney is being original & experimental is on the new cruise ships. And I qualify that with the fact that on one has seen the interior of the new ships in person.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom