Waterfront District "Hyperion Wharf" Set to be added to Pleasure Island

Lee

Adventurer
If this was indeed a smokescreen, why would they announce it over the Disney Parks Blog, a social media outlet mostly for fans? Wouldn't they publicize it more if they were trying to attract possible-tenants? I can't see how a few pieces of concept art and some vague descriptions released over a blog written for Disney park fans would attract the attention of a third party vendor, or maybe it's just me. :shrug:

The HW designs were not only posted to the Blog. (That was just Disney attempting to stir up some excitement and good will among the fanbase.)
The same art has been presented to numerous potential outside vendors and lessees over the last few months. They are in full woo mode, trying to line up occupants for it's flashy new area. As I said, we have yet to hear of any sure things. Even the Mahogany Bay concept has not been completely confirmed, though it seems quite likely.

jt04 said:
Going back to bashing the scaled down TDO seems misguided at best.
Oddly enough, I agree.
The blame for this and other debacles can be traced back to one Mr. James A. Rasulo. The "Disney Parks" movement, and current management mindset are both his responsibility (fault). You can also lump Iger in there, too, for letting Rasulo systematically destroy much of the traditional Disney philosophy.
It remains to be seen if Staggs has the smarts to change course.

Krack

The blame for this and other debacles can be traced back to one Mr. James A. Rasulo. The "Disney Parks" movement, and current management mindset are both his responsibility (fault).

The push-polling of guests also started under his watch. Polling 98 thirty year old mothers and two men whether or not they'd rather have more "shopping and dining" and calling it a representative sample. Generic merchandise, Meet & Greets (instead of actual attractions), every meal is a character meal, DDP (generic menus at all restaurants), etc ...

There's still plenty of blame to toss at TDO, though. Rasulo isn't the reason Orlando's park maintenance is atrocious, while Anaheim's is excellent. Or why WDW has seemingly very little respect for older attractions (shoehorning Stitch everywhere, wrecking the Tiki Room) and the DLR (for the most part) treats them like treasures.

jt04

The push-polling of guests also started under his watch. Polling 98 thirty year old mothers and two men whether or not they'd rather have more "shopping and dining" and calling it a representative sample. Generic merchandise, Meet & Greets (instead of actual attractions), every meal is a character meal, DDP (generic menus at all restaurants), etc ...

There's still plenty of blame to toss at TDO, though. Rasulo isn't the reason Orlando's park maintenance is atrocious, while Anaheim's is excellent. Or why WDW has seemingly very little respect for older attractions (shoehorning Stitch everywhere, wrecking the Tiki Room) and the DLR (for the most part) treats them like treasures.

I'm rather impressed with the Haunted Mansion refurb at WDW, the HoP's refurb at WDW, the refurb of Liberty Square at WDW, the refurb of all the buildings at the MK, the reimagining of the Pooh area, the refurb and new adds at World Showcase (DL's World Showcase is lacking IMO), the new BATB area is great (Again DL's version is lacking), the overall FLE at WDW seems awesome judging by what we see so far and now the HW at DtD which is polling quite favorably on this site.

Most of the stuff you mention was rooted in the Eisner era. We are no longer in the Eisner era. Fixing those problems can't be done overnight. But that they are being fixed is undeniable by any reasoned measure.

Thurp

JT, I've told you a few times that I enjoy reading your posts and, for better or for worse, you are a contributing member of this forum. You say A LOT of things and you make people think and discuss. You know, the point of a forum. This place would be boring if it was a lovefest.

But at the same time, you say so much stuff, some of it so out there and incorrect that I can't always follow you and tell fact from fiction.

But you got me, you definitely got me to say "" and as you can tell by my post count vs registration date, I'm an avid reader but I seldom post.

jt04

JT, I've told you a few times that I enjoy reading your posts and, for better or for worse, you are a contributing member of this forum. You say A LOT of things and you make people think and discuss. You know, the point of a forum. This place would be boring if it was a lovefest.

But at the same time, you say so much stuff, some of it so out there and incorrect that I can't always follow you and tell fact from fiction.

But you got me, you definitely got me to say "" and as you can tell by my post count vs registration date, I'm an avid reader but I seldom post.

Sounds good. I guess I should add a disclaimer to my posts. I am usually trying to confound, inspire thought, offering a unique perspective or just joking around. So there, I guess that is my disclaimer. :cool:

SeaCastle

Sounds good. I guess I should add a disclaimer to my posts. I am usually trying to confound, inspire thought, offering a unique perspective or just joking around. So there, I guess that is my disclaimer. :cool:

PursuitMag.com said:
internet troll- someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

:lookaroun

I jest, I jest. :lol:

spaceghost

Ditto this.

jt04

It's probably be something cool. You know Disney won't skip an opportunity to make more gift shops though!! :hammer:

That is OK though. It is the reason the built the area in the first place. Guests will love the lighting and many of the other additions, many we still don't know about.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
That is OK though. It is the reason the built the area in the first place. Guests will love the lighting and many of the other additions, many we still don't know about.

And more than likely, neither do they. It still sounds like a rehash of the "Bold New Vision." But they are actually having to do some of the work instead of waiting for the corporate world to come knocking at their front door begging to let them play in their sandbox.

jt04

And more than likely, neither do they. It still sounds like a rehash of the "Bold New Vision." But they are actually having to do some of the work instead of waiting for the corporate world to come knocking at their front door begging to let them play in their sandbox.

I have seen a video of the DTD managers talking about the new additions. The seem quite confident and pleased with the plans. Raven has said there are aspects that have not been announced yet. Disney has always controlled the macro aspects of DTD. It is going to be amazing.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

I guess that vision thing didn't quite dazzle the third parties as much as Disney hoped....:rolleyes:

unkadug

I have seen a video of the DTD managers talking about the new additions. The seem quite confident and pleased with the plans. Raven has said there are aspects that have not been announced yet. Disney has always controlled the macro aspects of DTD. It is going to be amazing.

I certainly HOPE it will be amazing.

Their confidence and pleasure is not reassuring though, as they ALWAYS seem confident and pleased, even when they make bad decisions.

jt04

Am I wasting my time asking for a link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-2sqg6FDA&list=PL0EAFC797D5EFA651&index=46&playnext=2

I also saw a story from an Orlando affiliate (NBC I think) that said there will be 4 new restaurants. No qualifier at all. They stated it as a fact and as if the leases are signed. My hunch is they are they just have chosen not to announce all the new tenants. I think though it is obvious Silk Road has signed. That is how these things work with all sorts of confidentiality agreements between parties etc.

unkadug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-2sqg6FDA&list=PL0EAFC797D5EFA651&index=46&playnext=2

I also saw a story from an Orlando affiliate (NBC I think) that said there will be 4 new restaurants. No qualifier at all. They stated it as a fact and as if the leases are signed. My hunch is they are they just have chosen not to announce all the new tenants. I think though it is obvious Silk Road has signed. That is how these things work with all sorts of confidentiality agreements between parties etc.

So McDonalds will be one the new restaurants? Now THAT's BOLD!

jt04

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom