Was EPCOT Center really boring?

FigmentJedi

Horizons could have used one huge refurb that could have really helped it for a decade or more. Again, technology never caught up with Horizons, like some people like to say, unless I've missed the news that people are now living in Space colonies and underwater cities.

International Space Station and private Space travel are kind of a start for Alpha Centauri, there's a handful of underwater hotels for Sea Castle and there's actually some experimental clay compound that brings sand together to actually allow for some proper plant growth and there's Mesa Verde.

Horizons had an inkling of what the future would hold, though definitely not an accurate picture.

misterID

International Space Station and private Space travel are kind of a start for Alpha Centauri, there's a handful of underwater hotels for Sea Castle and there's actually some experimental clay compound that brings sand together to actually allow for some proper plant growth and there's Mesa Verde.

Horizons had an inkling of what the future would hold, though definitely not an accurate picture.

I really don't think you can compare the International Space station with a space colony depicted in Horizons.

I never liked the underwater cities idea, tbh, but I don't think that the underwater hotels you're talking about are really anywhere near the same. But it wouldn't be a big loss if Horizons could have focused on SPACE. MARS, or Moon colonies.

The SSE descent concept that was supposed to happen in the last refurb was pretty jaw dropping and it was on a Space Station. Just because there is a space station doesn't make the idea/possibilities/ambitions obsolete, or dated, or anything.

lebeau

another vote for "yes," it was a bit lacking in excitement. And I dispute the contention Epcot Center was neglected - it wasn't. I liked it okay but like today's version much better. More of something for everyone now, where before it was a little . . . slow.

Contest away.

Tell me what Disney did to keep Epcot fresh prior to dumbing it down.

MKCP 1985

That`s todays park. The original had so much in the major pavilions you could spend an hour or more in each. And a good half day in Communicore alone.

I started to say that was part of the issue with Epcot Center - going from pavilion to pavilion with an hour or more invested at each one, yet nothing to thrill a person at any of them. It certainly had its niche, but left the masses with a bit of a *yawn*, seems to me.

Contest away.

Tell me what Disney did to keep Epcot fresh prior to dumbing it down.

Well, the first challenge with that proposal is the assumption as fact the park has been dumbed down, where I would describe it as having become more appealing to the entire family.

When I say the park wasn't neglected, I mean that people weren't saying, "That Epcot Center is falling apart." The park was consistently kept clean, well landscaped, and the rides in good working order. (We are talking about the days before Test Track! :lol: )

The Mom

Premium Member
I may be one of the few posters who went to the original EPCOT- as an adult. It was not boring, but it was not the MK. I would head over when the crowds at the MK became too much for me. Imagine the walkways without all of the kiosks, carts etc. Remove the big gift shop in front of the WS lagoon, and all of the stuff around both fountains.

You also have to imagine a guest who grew up without computers, except for major companies, who might have had two computer rooms -one for keypunchers, one for the reel to reel computers - to do what your laptop can do today. Where the only mobile phones were big boxy things that weighed a few pounds. Where VHS players were the latest gadget, and cost $300 or so. Walkmen were state of the art, along with stereo systems that combined turntables, cassette players and tuners.

The original target audience had little exposure to technology so everything shown was truly innovative and informative. And I was relatively young, and didn't even have children yet! Imagine how my parents, and others of their generation, felt.

So IMO the original EPCOT was not boring.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They had the Barbie show, and that one circus show too :brick:
Barbie was Epcot '94 :p
The Circus Spectacular was unforgivable.
This is absolutely true assuming you had any interest whatsoever in little things like the world around you...
Yeah silly me. An attraction that lasts more than 4 minutes is a little too long for the majority of todays generation... ;)
I started to say that was part of the issue with Epcot Center - going from pavilion to pavilion with an hour or more invested at each one, yet nothing to thrill a person at any of them
I agree, but it wasn`t planned as a thrill park per se. The thrills I found were more in the presentations. Travelling theatres. Massive screens. Omnimax. Ride systems. The sheer scale of things. There again, Maelstrom and Body Wars were quite thrilling for the 80's.

rsoxguy

I agree with the above post by The Mom. I was an adult when EPCOT first opened (a young adult, but hey). I found it far from boring. Everything seemed high-tech and innovative. I know that technology changes quickly now, but back then EPCOT was a wonderful place in which one could see things that seemed very much exciting and new. Even the countries were special because most people didn't have a PC with with to see the world. I remember having to go to the local library to study such things. Making dining reservations via the TV screens was cool because Skype didn't exist. I could go on and on, but my point is that the world was a dofferent place in the early 80's, and EPCOT was a great park.

mcjaco

As an eight year old that visited EPCOT a month after opening in '83, and then every following November for ten years, I found it to be fabulous.

EPCOT was like nothing I'd ever seen before. The magical brillance of the sets, the technology, and the story telling, charmed me like no other place in the world. We'd spend hours in the Imagination Pavilion using the touch screens, and the pin tables, and weh we got up enough courage, the Drama School!

It was the same in World of Motion and Communicore. All of the hands on stuff was beyond anything we could get our hands on at school or home, and that's coming from a family that was pretty techie, even back then. My Dad and I sat at the roller coaster creator one morning for over two hours trying to come up with a new combo. Martin can probably say for sure, but I think there was only one or two combos of track combinations that worked. But we wanted to make sure.

EPCOT was the one place that my parents did not mind pulling us out of school for a few days, to go to. They felt we were learning there, and more importantly stimulating our imagination for great things.

lebeau

Well, the first challenge with that proposal is the assumption as fact the park has been dumbed down, where I would describe it as having become more appealing to the entire family.

When I say the park wasn't neglected, I mean that people weren't saying, "That Epcot Center is falling apart." The park was consistently kept clean, well landscaped, and the rides in good working order. (We are talking about the days before Test Track! :lol: )

They kept the place from falling apart but they let it get very stale. The original concept demanded constant updates. But they just let it grow more and more out of date. Even the decor made what was supposed to feel futuristic, feel terribly dated.

Thus, they negelcted it.

forevermickey

I am 40, I personally loved the Epcot of the 80's and 90's, there are things I love about the current Epcot. So no I don't think it was boring, but times change and I hope they keep changing for Future World, it feels very incomplete for me. But, I still love Epcot

Sea Turtles

Epcot could certain use some work (like a new nation in the world showcase and an e ticket), but not boring. HELLO, have you ever been drinking around the world. LOL

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Martin can probably say for sure, but I think there was only one or two combos of track combinations that worked. But we wanted to make sure..
Indeed. From what I know, there was only one Computacoaster combo that actually worked fully.

redshoesrock

I think what I miss the most from the old Epcot was the optimism for the future. My first time at Epcot was in 1988, and I thought it was amazing. My parents thought it was quite boring themselves, but they knew I liked it so they would bring me back every year. Like some other posters, I'm someone who loves learning and Epcot fitted the bill perfectly.

As to whether Walt would of liked what Epcot turned into, it's impossible to accurately say. Walt was banking on an awful lot in order to make Progress City a success; he wanted to constantly swap new experimental technology in and out of all the homes with no say so from the people living there, not to mention the people living in Progress City wouldn't of been allowed the right to vote on *anything* - Walt (and by extension, the Disney company) would of been the sole arbiters of everything turning Mickey quite literally into 1984's "Big Brother". Would you really want to live like that, have your life constantly monitored by Disney and then every month have people come into your home saying, "Yeah, we're taking away your refrigerator and replacing it with this new one that we want to test and see if it works or not." And let's not forget there was also supposed to be a 1,000 acre industrial park where all the large corporations of the world were supposed to come together and work on new ideas and share them among one another. An altruistic idea to be sure, but do you really see companies developing new technologies and just giving them away to other rival companies? It would be like if Ford developed a new engine that is twice as efficient and then taking it to Toyota and saying, "Here, we made this for our cars - you can have it too." That's really why after Walt died Epcot and Progress City died - if anyone were able to actually try and bring together all those ideas and make them work through sheer force-of-will it would of been "Uncle Walt." Not to mention that much of what Walt wanted to plan and do was lost when he died - the story goes that on his deathbed in the hospital he was using the ceiling tiles to plan out Progress City. And when Card Walker finally got the ball rolling with Epcot in the mid 70's, not only was Disney management afraid to spend billions of dollars on a project that could easily flop (for reasons I mentioned above), but the Imagineers who were working on the project just flat out didn't know how to make it all work. So they made Epcot into something they did know how to make work - a theme park. I suppose if you put a gun to my head and asked if Walt would of liked Epcot Center I would have to guess no. Everything I've ever read said Walt was genuinely concerned with what was going on in cities like overcrowding, pollution, etc, and he really wanted to try and make something that could be used as a model for benefiting the world. At the very least, he had definitely moved beyond just making entertainment and theme parks. The best quote I remember is what Walt told his secretary when he realized he probably was not going to live to see Epcot made and was worried it wouldn't be built if he died, "Fancy being remembered around the world for the invention of a mouse!"

Ralphlaw

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Disney closed down many, if any, attractions that were popular, working, and put alot of people through every day. Yeah, many people miss certain attractions, World of Motion, Mr. Toad, Horizons, etc . . ., but I doubt that Disney ever said, "Here's a popular attraction that packs in the people every day. Let's get rid of it."

No, and no matter how rabid a minority of fans love an attraction, if it doesn't keep pulling in the crowds, it'll probably be gone once a smart replacement is available. I would assume that World of Motion, Mr. Toad, and Horizons probably weren't pulling in the people anymore, and I further assume that some rides (ala 20,000 Leagues) were probably broken down so much that replacement became necessary.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

I think what I miss the most from the old Epcot was the optimism for the future.

^This.

I doubt many of us who just can't seem to let Horizons go (much to the chagrin of many on this board) would whine as much about its loss if there were something in the current incarnation of Future World that evoked the same feelings/emotional themes. Ditto for the original Imagination.

(I mean, I miss Toad as much as the next guy, but at the end of the day, it was a ride through black-lit wooden cutouts that didn't make me "feel" anything.)

Well, that, plus I'm a nerd with a comparatively long attention span, so...I long for lengthier, incredibly detailed attractions. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom