Wand Removal Day: One W/ PICTURES from in the park

brianplace

ugh with the generalizations

- The wand was cute for a year. Then it became an eyesore.

- Show me something else that "goes with" Spaceship Earth. Not likely there's much of anything that needs to be permanently added to something so well-designed. Good design includes taking away anything unnecessary.

- I am tired of being called an "EPCOT Purist" like it's something bad. I'm not a purist; I just want Disney to focus on the core values that made the former EPCOT Center great. I am not opposed to change; I'm opposed to BAD change.

I miss Horizons, but I like Mission:SPACE. I miss World of Motion (not as much as Horizons) but I like Test Track. World of Motion does not need to be rebuilt--it had its own cheese factor. I think Universe of Energy is cool and a lot more fun with Ellen. I think the original Living Seas was BORING, though I am of mixed feelings about the Nemo redo. EPCOT was built for change and it has changed a lot over the years and that's fine with me.

But the wand SUCKS. For a park that was meant to symbolize the future and hope and show the world how everyone can work together, it's a cheezy tacky distraction. ... It was cute for a year...:hurl:

dismedic

Geez just think in a few weeks you will have nothing more to ooh over guess the next thing to whine and cry over will be the hat at the studios, HP a done deal at the competition maybe US is on the right track on PROGRESS NOT DIGRESSION into a state of a museum.

I long for Disney to once again step up and do new and better not old and drab. Progress is needed not digression.

ToTBellHop

Geez just think in a few weeks you will have nothing more to ooh over guess the next thing to whine and cry over will be the hat at the studios, HP a done deal at the competition maybe US is on the right track on PROGRESS NOT DIGRESSION into a state of a museum.

I long for Disney to once again step up and do new and better not old and drab. Progress is needed not digression.
Progress is needed, but apparently punctuation is not.

WISH4EE@WDW

I always remember on television for WDW commercials, they would always showing mickey on top of the sphere, does anyone else remember this

I absolutely do! In one of Marni's videos they show some random guy standing up there. I guess he didn't have the video of Mickey! But I definitely do remember it too!

hrcollectibles

All you wand likers I have a question... This was supposed to be a decoration for the year 2000... But it seems they left it up past their welcome.. I present to you exhibit A.. The Birthday Cake Castle.... What id to this day it had the birthday cake designs but repainted.... Ding dong the Wand is dead... I want to know when it will finally be down.. I want to be there when the final blow is dealt

notnothin

All you wand likers I have a question... This was supposed to be a decoration for the year 2000... But it seems they left it up past their welcome.. I present to you exhibit A.. The Birthday Cake Castle.... What id to this day it had the birthday cake designs but repainted.... Ding dong the Wand is dead... I want to know when it will finally be down.. I want to be there when the final blow is dealt

I'm sorry .... what? :shrug:

dismedic

Progress is needed, but apparently punctuation is not.

Geez I am back in college? Thought I got my Masters years ago guess I am am still in school on here anyways.

Thanks professor now if we could only get persons to see the future and stop the flaming!!

Goof-Man

But if it was the only thing that one knew, then it would be accepted.

ScottBA

My kids are starting to convince me that the wand was maybe a good thing. For the past year (or more) I've been wishing/wanting that wand to go away. Now that it's becoming a reality, I'm getting a lot of grief from my kids:

My oldest daughter (who's almost 9) told me to tell Disney that kids won't think it's special anymore without the wand (refering to Spaceship Earth). "All it will just look like a giant golf ball. They should now just put a big golf club up next to it" (her suggestion...not mine) :shrug:

My middle daughter (who's 6) told me to email Disney to tell them to stop taking it down RIGHT NOW.

But it's my youngest daughter (who's almost 3) who's making me sway the most. While watching an old epcot video the other day (pre-wand days), she asked "Where's Mickey's Arm"? Yesterday, showing the kids the pictures of the crane, etc from this tread, my three-year-old points and goes "Yeah!!! Mickey's Arm is back!" with a huge smile....I didn't have the heart to tell her that it will be all but gone when we visit in September.

Not that my opinion means anything...but it definitely gave me a different perspective on who that wand was really for. It makes a more grown-up park a little more kid-friendly.

On the flip-side, in September, it sure will be nice seeing that giant golf ball....without the wand (and hopefully without a giant golf club). :rolleyes:

ToTBellHop

My kids are starting to convince me that the wand was maybe a good thing. For the past year (or more) I've been wishing/wanting that wand to go away. Now that it's becoming a reality, I'm getting a lot of grief from my kids:

My oldest daughter (who's almost 9) told me to tell Disney that kids won't think it's special anymore without the wand (refering to Spaceship Earth). "All it will just look like a giant golf ball. They should now just put a big golf club up next to it" (her suggestion...not mine) :shrug:

My middle daughter (who's 6) told me to email Disney to tell them to stop taking it down RIGHT NOW.

But it's my youngest daughter (who's almost 3) who's making me sway the most. While watching an old epcot video the other day (pre-wand days), she asked "Where's Mickey's Arm"? Yesterday, showing the kids the pictures of the crane, etc from this tread, my three-year-old points and goes "Yeah!!! Mickey's Arm is back!" with a huge smile....I didn't have the heart to tell her that it will be all but gone when we visit in September.

Not that my opinion means anything...but it definitely gave me a different perspective on who that wand was really for. It makes a more grown-up park a little more kid-friendly.

On the flip-side, in September, it sure will be nice seeing that giant golf ball....without the wand (and hopefully without a giant golf club). :rolleyes:
the grass is always greener....

BuzzComplexCM

Can someone get us a translation on this? :shrug:

imagineer boy

Last time I was at Disney with the wand still standing there in all of its glory, people were still refering to SSE as a "giant golf ball."

Epcot82Guy

THe more I think about htis, the more I think this is a good example of "too long." I know someone asked a bit ago, I wasn't necessarily against augmenting the sphere. I think it's beautiful in its simplicity, but it can be added to. The Wand did not fit the theme of Epcot, but it worked in a way. The Cake didn't fit the theme of MK, but it worked for a bit (don't kill me). I think this is what happens when something designed to be temporary is left up for too long. People become used to it, and you take a backlash when you go to take it down along with the joy of having it return to normal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom