News Walt Disney World's Minnie Van service confirmed to return summer 2022

cranbiz

Well, if it makes you feel any better, it’s one of the few front line positions you have to specifically interview for. You can’t just apply for a transfer, which in most roles is done by seniority.

The also won’t interview a person if they haven’t already been with the company for so much time.

In the interview, they ask you questions such as, “how would you get from Caribbean Beach to the Polynesian?” And they ask for the road names specifically. They also have every single hotel, attraction, restaurant, experience, etc, listed on individual pieces of paper in a bowl, and you are asked to draw them out at random and explain where that location is as well as what it is. (Seems easy until you realize even the lesser-known QS restaurants at the value resorts are included too).

Basically, they make sure you already HAVE most of the knowledge needed ahead of time. And obviously they ask you standard guest service related questions to make sure you are courteous, professional, and personable. And they ensure you have a clean driving record, of course. They don’t let just anyone drive the Minnie Vans.

As for the training itself, 1 of the days is dedicated entirely to the car seats, and another day is dedicated entirely to the ADA vehicles and procedures. The rest of the days are spent driving around to all the locations (which again, if you were hired into this role, you already know most of them already). There’s really not much more to it. The CMs themselves already know how to drive, you know?

I’m sorry you feel that 8 days is not enough. Have you had a driver in the past who was lacking in knowledge or service?
No, I was a bus driver for 5 years and understand the unique issues when it comes to guests, transportation and on property routes and locations. It does make me feel better that the interview process takes care of property knowledge, locations and is primarily only for experienced CM's. I'm also happy that a day is spent on car seats and a day is spent on ADA. Although saying CM's know how to drive can be a stretch (I have seen how many of them drive on property).

Not sure why you seem to take offence with my comments. I'm not the run of the mill guest. I am happy that you took the time to give everyone the run down of the hiring process for Minnie Van roles. It provides clarity and comfort to the users who hang here on the boards.

natatomic

No, I was a bus driver for 5 years and understand the unique issues when it comes to guests, transportation and on property routes and locations. It does make me feel better that the interview process takes care of property knowledge, locations and is primarily only for experienced CM's. I'm also happy that a day is spent on car seats and a day is spent on ADA. Although saying CM's know how to drive can be a stretch (I have seen how many of them drive on property).

Not sure why you seem to take offence with my comments. I'm not the run of the mill guest. I am happy that you took the time to give everyone the run down of the hiring process for Minnie Van roles. It provides clarity and comfort to the users who hang here on the boards.
Sorry, I didn’t take offense. I just think “months” of training would be overkill. I felt that the training process was sufficient, and I didn’t know of any drivers that seemed unprepared for the job. And the department’s satisfaction scores were some of the highest in the parks. Not sure what any additional training days could have possibly been filled with, especially for a role that only pays slightly more than minimum wage, and for a department that guests already had overwhelmingly positive reviews (aside from complaints about price or availability - something beyond the control of the drivers).

drcasey

I loved the mini vans when it was a flat rate of $20 and you could go anywhere in the resort. We’d use it to get from the beach club to the parks (and other places like other hotels for dinner etc) and they dropped you off right at the park entrance, got you way closer than buses and ride share. Plus they played themed Disney music to where you were headed! My mom and I had the best conversation with one of our mini van drivers on who the most handsome disney prince was and she said Kocoum 😂

JMcMahonEsq

That is a bad idea, to be honest. 😆
Wait they shouldn’t allow the people who have IQ’s above 12 and can figure out how to get to a restaurant and sit down and eat in the morning to book breakfast reservations bc there are some people who can’t figure it out?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Wait they shouldn’t allow the people who have IQ’s above 12 and can figure out how to get to a restaurant and sit down and eat in the morning to book breakfast reservations bc there are some people who can’t figure it out?
Huh, no. I said it is a bad idea to limit breakfast hours based on where people are staying.

DCBaker

Premium Member
New posting for drivers -

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 2.50.12 PM.png

nickys

Premium Member
What "badly needed void" do Minnie vans fill? Genuinely curious, as Disney provides in-resort transportation between all resorts and theme parks plus the Springs, transportation to/from Port Canaveral, and used to provide transportation to/from MCO (that was and is again filled by 3rd parties). If you're talking about resort-to-resort transportation, 3rd parties already provide this service.
A lot of people like them for bigger groups. They also provide at least two car seats. And if doing a split stay there’s room for everyone plus luggage.

RememberWhen

A lot of people like them for bigger groups. They also provide at least two car seats. And if doing a split stay there’s room for everyone plus luggage.
The car seats are a pretty great feature. While Uber and Lyft sometimes have 1, if you need 2 it’s not a reasonable choice and you’re stuck with a rental or Disney transportation.

Honestly, if they bring it back in time for our July trip I will definitely consider them as airport transportation. It would be way more expensive than Mears or the other bus options, but it’s also more “Disney” than a typical limo company. I like dealing with a CM.

correcaminos

Pretty sure they do.

I’m seriously considering booking one to move us from OKW to Bay Lake. A little splurge that gets all of us plus luggage and food and a great way to arrive “in style”.
I think that's huge bonus since others cannot handle one. I never tried one but they do have perks

I totally see why you'd book one for your move. Splurging is nice now and then.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The car seats are a pretty great feature. While Uber and Lyft sometimes have 1, if you need 2 it’s not a reasonable choice and you’re stuck with a rental or Disney transportation.

Honestly, if they bring it back in time for our July trip I will definitely consider them as airport transportation. It would be way more expensive than Mears or the other bus options, but it’s also more “Disney” than a typical limo company. I like dealing with a CM.

We took one from the airport back in 2019 - it was great. The cast member was so much fun and knowledgeable, and there was the car seat situation. The other thing about the minivans is that the drivers are all trained in proper car seat installation - which most lift and Uber drivers are not.

We found a limo service that specializes in families and The need for car seats, but they were even more expensive than what the minivans were 2 years ago. Hoping that these return for my (now rescheduled) June trip.

natatomic

I don’t know if I can’t link to another website, but some of you may have seen the article floating around - “Disney Cleans House, End of the Road for Many Experienced Minnie Van Drivers.”

I can confirm it is 100% true. All of the former drivers were invited to reapply to the Minnie Vans to be the first to have a chance to be in the department once it reopens. A vast majority reapplied. You’d think they’d all be a shoe in, right? So far, that I am aware of, not one driver was rehired after their interview. Only two people were invited back so far that I know of - one was a manager and one was the equivalent of the “coordinator” role. Disney did their former drivers dirty by giving them hope to reapply and then taking almost nobody.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don’t know if I can’t link to another website, but some of you may have seen the article floating around - “Disney Cleans House, End of the Road for Many Experienced Minnie Van Drivers.”

I can confirm it is 100% true. All of the former drivers were invited to reapply to the Minnie Vans to be the first to have a chance to be in the department once it reopens. A vast majority reapplied. You’d think they’d all be a shoe in, right? So far, that I am aware of, not one driver was rehired after their interview. Only two people were invited back so far that I know of - one was a manager and one was the equivalent of the “coordinator” role. Disney did their former drivers dirty by giving them hope to reapply and then taking almost nobody.
That seems a very odd move. Wonder what the story behind all of that is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom