News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

LittleBuford

I know its a big pain but you really should go back and make them provide you a new drink. Its the only way to make them see the problem.
I've had insects land in my drink at restaurants that serve beverages in lidless glasses (the type we all use at home). When that happens, I tell the waiter and they provide me with a new drink. There is no "problem"; it's just bad luck when it happens, and any decent establishment will deal with it by replacing the drink.

Disstevefan1

I've had insects land in my drink at restaurants that serve beverages in lidless glasses (the type we all use at home). When that happens, I tell the waiter and they provide me with a new drink. There is no "problem"; it's just bad luck when it happens, and any decent establishment will deal with it by replacing the drink.
I know getting no straws and lids is not a problem for you.

Its a problem for others, they must go back and get another "lidless" drink and hope for the best. Just having to go back is a pain and a waste of time when all that was needed to prevent the issue was a lid (like we had at WDW for almost 50 years).

I know, I know, you have no problems with no lids or straws. That's great for you.

drizgirl

I think people have different expectations for outdoor venues than for indoor ones.

LittleBuford

I know getting no straws and lids is not a problem for you.

Its a problem for others, they must go back and get another "lidless" drink and hope for the best. Just having to go back is a pain and a waste of time when all that was needed to prevent the issue was a lid (like we had at WDW for almost 50 years).

I know, I know, you have no problems with no lids or straws. That's great for you.
I'm talking about the idea that the risk of insects falling into our drinks is somehow a “problem” that warrants the use of lids, even though we all drink from lidless vessels the vast majority of the time. One can argue for the utility of lids without resorting to hyperbole.

TrainsOfDisney

I'm talking about the idea that the risk of insects falling into our drinks is somehow a “problem”
It’s not an “idea” it’s something that happened to me. I like having a lid on my drink when in an outdoor themed and crowded environment.

Once at Disneyland I was walking by and some guy was spraying a spray fan and it got on me. I don’t want that in my food or drink either.

There are lots of extra elements plus normal things likes bugs, leaves, etc. that land in drinks.

And then the poor people I saw at Fantasmic trying to carry a tray of 4 drinks down crowded steps to get to their family.

John park hopper

Plastics.jpg
And Disney is worried about a plastic lid and plastic straw

LittleBuford

good thing it never rains at WDW
It’s telling that this thread began with “Lids help me carry my drink around without spilling it” (which is perfectly reasonable) and has now reached the point where people are making it seem as if a lid is an absolutely essential piece of equipment if one is to keep one’s beverage protected from insects, rain, and whatever else the outdoors may inflict on us.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Person 1: "If they are going to remove lids and straws from over the counter, they should ask guests if they want either when they receive their food and drink. That would provide proactive customer service."
Person 2: "That will still create additional waste. People should just ask if they want one. It isn't that hard people."
*Disney puts out signs telling people to ask.."
Person 1: "Well I asked, and they said they did not have any..."
Person 3: "I asked as well, same result..."
Person 4: "Same here!"
Person 2: "Eh...stop crying"

Disstevefan1

It’s telling that this thread began with “Lids help me carry my drink around without spilling it” (which is perfectly reasonable) and has now reached the point where people are making it seem as if a lid is an absolutely essential piece of equipment if one is to keep one’s beverage protected from insects, rain, and whatever else the outdoors may inflict on us.
In fact they are. Thanks for confirming!

I know, I know, the elimination of lids and straws is not a problem for you. That’s great.

Huh? A bug or leaf lands in your drink and you demand a new one?!! You don’t just scoop it out and continue on with your day?! This is surely the most entitled thing I’ve ever read. Why on earth is it the vendor’s problem? Even in a restaurant I wouldn’t even consider demanding a replacement. Bugs literally land on every single surface you’ve ever touched.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom