Walt Disney World to build 2,000-room Hotel: Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

ryanduggers

It sounds like it will be a great addition to WDW.:sohappy:

I wonder if the History Channel ever asked to use the Legendary Years for its "Life After People" series?

"Disney - 7 years after people....."

sorry, I couldn't resist it.:ROFLOL:

IWant2GoNow

How can WDW afford this resort if they are too "poor" to be able to "afford" to fix the Yeti?

Let's try not to turn every thread into a Yeti thread. I'm all for trying to get him fixed but resort funding and DAK funding are more than likely two separate entities.

WDWfreak89

This just makes me angry with Disney now. I always liked Disney world because they made their own rides and hotels and did not base it off of anything from their movies. It seems like all they do know is base everything they do on their movies. I miss the days where they created rides and hotels from scratch and not just a copy from the movies. Am I making any sense here?

mickeysaver

Exciting news this morning! I am happy to hear that the gloomy skelleton buildings are going away for something that will actually add to the view across the lake.

Who knows, we might just have to try to be opening night guests there. We were opening night guests at POP back in December of 2003, so it seems sort of fitting if we were to arrange to be opening night guests at the resort across the lake. I wonder if I can sell my wife on this idea? :drevil:

imagineer boy

I'd much prefer they'd simply go with the first half of the century theme they were origianlly going with. Oh well, at least the buildings won't sit empty and ugly looking any more.

And at least its not going to be a DVC resort. :lol:

Mouse Man

:sohappy::sohappy:I think this is really good news. Can't wait to see it completed. This will give me another choice to go and look at to see if I would like to stay there on my next trip.

Rinx

Why spend all this money to open a resort at the same time the world is going to end? :hammer:

:lol:

I'm glad to see it finally be built up and completed. It's such an eyesore seeing it as it is from Pop.

mickeysaver

This just makes me angry with Disney now. I always liked Disney world because they made their own rides and hotels and did not base it off of anything from their movies. It seems like all they do know is base everything they do on their movies. I miss the days where they created rides and hotels from scratch and not just a copy from the movies. Am I making any sense here?

I fail to see what the problem is with the theme. It's a resort that is being aimed at the family audience guests, which means kids are a part of the equation. I don't feel that Disney is resting on their laurels in making this particular resort themed around these movies. I think that it makes total sense. It would be one thing if there were many more resorts with these blantant rip off themes, but it's one resort with these running themes throughout. I think that it will be a hit with young families and larger families regardless of age.

I am sure that if the time does come again to expand non-DVC rooms with a new resort that you will see something new and creative outside of the movie themes being utilized for this new resort.

Wilt Dasney

Thumbs up for a new resort.

Thumbs down to the chance of seeing the (much more interesting) first half of the 20th century represented at Pop officially dumped. Too bad they couldn't have started with the '20s-'40s instead of the kitschier second half of the century.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Thumbs up for a new resort.

Thumbs down to the chance of seeing the (much more interesting) first half of the 20th century represented at Pop officially dumped. Too bad they couldn't have started with the '20s-'40s instead of the kitschier second half of the century.

I would have liked to see that as well. But I'm guessing it's not a coincidence that Pixar and the Animation Studios are getting a headlining gig there either....

Wilt Dasney

I would have liked to see that as well. But I'm guessing it's not a coincidence that Pixar and the Animation Studios are getting a headlining gig there either....
Personally, I hope the people who think this theme will be applied to the current Pop Century are right...assuming it involves more than just plunking Simba and Ariel drawings in their respective wings and calling that an animation theme.

A full resort (including the current PC) seriously devoted to the mechanical processes and history of animation — from Walt Disney's crude sketches to the CGI characters of today — would be more interesting than giant bowling pins and "Groovy" sayings in my opinion.

The only thing that ever made PC palatable to me was the hope that one day we might see the prohibition/jazz/WWII era represented there. With that chance gone, I say scrap the theme.

BrerFrog

I love it! I have never stayed at a resort, but I will make sure this will be my first.

What are the chances the BAH gets moved to the Resort? I mean, there were rumors it was being removed and I don't think Disney would simply throw it in their boneyard, so I would say placing it by the resort would be a great fit.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
What are the chances the BAH gets moved to the Resort? I mean, there were rumors it was being removed and I don't think Disney would simply throw it in their boneyard, so I would say placing it by the resort would be a great fit.

LOL that is actually a great idea!

BrerFrog

Thanks! It does fit the resort very well, it would be perfect. The same can't be said about Hollywood Boulevard, unfortunately. :(

EDIT: I managed to bring the BAH into a topic about a new resort. Now madness will probably ensue.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Personally, I hope the people who think this theme will be applied to the current Pop Century are right...assuming it involves more than just plunking Simba and Ariel drawings in their respective wings and calling that an animation theme.

A full resort (including the current PC) seriously devoted to the mechanical processes and history of animation — from Walt Disney's crude sketches to the CGI characters of today — would be more interesting than giant bowling pins and "Groovy" sayings in my opinion.

The only thing that ever made PC palatable to me was the hope that one day we might see the prohibition/jazz/WWII era represented there. With that chance gone, I say scrap the theme.

I'm afraid the history and background we're looking for is not marketable enough for the masses. People will come to a new resort, even a value one, nonetheless. But having the recognizable characters out front will make selling the new place easier for WDW. I'm afraid the LCD factor is in play there.....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I love it! I have never stayed at a resort, but I will make sure this will be my first.

I can make a few calls and we can have it there by the weekend.

Heavy-equipment-helicopter-lift.jpg

Wilt Dasney

Agreed! Mr. Iger, tear down this hat! (And then move it over there and put it back up, if that's not too much of a bother.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom