Walt Disney World to build 2,000-room Hotel: Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

epcot2004

Very happy that they are adding Value suites but a part of me is disapointed that the original plan will never be completed. Does anyone know what the theming was supposed to be for each decade? I think they can get away with leaving the current theming for POP. You can see Boardwalk, Beach Club and Yacht Club with no obstructions which does actually bother me. They should just rename the lake, bridge and POP to something more relevant that both resorts can share. What difference does it make if it was going to be a DVC resort?

Figment632

I can make a few calls and we can have it there by the weekend.

Heavy-equipment-helicopter-lift.jpg

I'll pay for the gas!

fosse76

This just makes me angry with Disney now. I always liked Disney world because they made their own rides and hotels and did not base it off of anything from their movies. It seems like all they do know is base everything they do on their movies. I miss the days where they created rides and hotels from scratch and not just a copy from the movies. Am I making any sense here?

What are you talking about? Disney has themed attractions to its movies since day 1. Even the name Disneyland, Walt Disney World, invokes images and thoughts of movies.

Pioneer Hall

Well its a Pop Half Century ;)

Its been open for 7 years without the other decades, and Disney have not had a problem with that, nor have the guests. The icons in place at Pop are very popular, and I just don't see Disney getting anything out of a retheme. It isn't worth the expense and upsetting all those guests who enjoy the current theme of Pop.

I could turn out to be wrong, but I would be willing to take a sportsmans bet that Pop will not be changed.

Hiding the new resort wont be difficult, and if needed, removing a bridge is nothing (for Disney). They could also just leave that in place, in much the same way as the two Port Orleans Resorts are connected. The theme of the two is close enough that they can co-exist.

I think I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. With the way the two resorts are built and connected I think it is easy to guess that they are going to share infrastructure and services. I also think that the jungle cruise and lady and the tramp structures take care of two of the new sections. It just seems to me that Disney wouldn't be mirror image resorts across from each other and not have them co-exist in theme. Time will tell, but I think that once 2012 comes around you will see Pop close and a major refurb take place.

RiversideBunny

This just makes me angry with Disney now. I always liked Disney world because they made their own rides and hotels and did not base it off of anything from their movies. It seems like all they do know is base everything they do on their movies. I miss the days where they created rides and hotels from scratch and not just a copy from the movies. Am I making any sense here?

What about the All Star Movies resort?

:)

techiegsy

An Article has appeared on Disney Parks Blog, just in case you've missed it:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/05/disneys-art-of-animation-resort-unveiled/

Big news…we’ve just announced plans for a new resort at Walt Disney World Resort that’ll bring to life some of our most beloved characters and stories. Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will be one-of-a-kind, featuring family suites designed around four themes: The Lion King, Cars, Finding Nemo and The Little Mermaid.

mermaid9830182_small.jpg

It’s a resort designed with families in mind. There will be amazing sights at the different themed wings of the resort, including a model of King Triton that’ll eventually be 35 feet tall and tower over guests. And Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will also have themed room interiors in its nearly 2,000 new units — 1,120 family suites in The Lion King, Cars and Finding Nemo wings and 864 themed rooms in The Little Mermaid wings. Suites will have both a living room and a bedroom, offering added space.

All of the themed suites and rooms at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort (to be located adjacent to Disney’s Pop Century Resort) are expected to open by the end of 2012. We’ll have more updates in the future but wanted to share this with you first. Please let us know what you think in the comments.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I think I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. With the way the two resorts are built and connected I think it is easy to guess that they are going to share infrastructure and services. I also think that the jungle cruise and lady and the tramp structures take care of two of the new sections. It just seems to me that Disney wouldn't be mirror image resorts across from each other and not have them co-exist in theme. Time will tell, but I think that once 2012 comes around you will see Pop close and a major refurb take place.

I agree and I would be willing to bet that one of the other two movie themes will Monsters Inc.

I have a large family, and am a frequent guest at the ASM staying in the Family suites. I price these out continuously and at full rack rate, a suite is more expensive than 2 individual rooms.

HOWEVER, personally I'll pay slightly more in order to have my family together in one room (plus enjoy the fridge and microwave convenience for breakfast). Utilizing bounceback or pin codes or what ever discount can be found, can make these rooms a good deal.

Plus I hope that they become even a better deal in 2012 since everyone will want to stay at the DAOA. :rolleyes:

Mad Stitch

Yep its the same 10 building layout.

Here is an overhead view where you can see the 2 guest wings that were built, and the lobby/foodcourt building.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Resorts/Dis...n-Resort-construction-area-satellite-view.htm

Very happy that they are adding Value suites but a part of me is disapointed that the original plan will never be completed. Does anyone know what the theming was supposed to be for each decade? I think they can get away with leaving the current theming for POP. You can see Boardwalk, Beach Club and Yacht Club with no obstructions which does actually bother me. They should just rename the lake, bridge and POP to something more relevant that both resorts can share. What difference does it make if it was going to be a DVC resort?

Wasn’t the pic I was thinking about but it is still a good one since you can see the foundations of all 10 buildings. The one I was thinking of would answer epcot2004’s question. It had what the shape of what the pools were going to be so you could figure out the theme of each decade.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
The key to this project is the Family Suites aspect. There really is a huge untapped market for this type of environment at a cost substantially less than the nightly rental of a vacation club villa. Some friends of mine just traveled here with 18 people in their extended family group including a disable child and several elderly members and stayed off property because Disney had no offerings available in the price range they were targeting.

Disney will only win with this development.

I am also glad to see thet they are not pursuing the ledendary years at POP. We ahve moved too many generations past that time period for that half the century to have the same impact as the classic years.
I would really go back to a value resort for this. I swore I'd never stay at one again after my 2006 experience, but Ill be excited to see the floor plans.

Does anyone know what parts of the original construction will be salvaged and which parts will be bulldozed?
Im supposed to ask you that. You beat me to it. :lol:

What do ya know.

Castle Cake Apologist

Once again, Jim Hill posted an article with a rumor.

Once again, people called shenanigans.

Once again, he was right.

*shrug*

I'm personally pretty excited about all this... definitely a good addition, and good to see them FINALLY doing something with the legendary years buildings at Pop.

RiversideBunny

Disney’s Art of Animation Resort is a rather long name.
What will people actually call it, I wonder.

As in 'Where are you staying?
'Well, we're at the xxxxx'.

People tend to abbreviate Pop Century to Pop even though it's only two words.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

'Well, we're at the xxxxx'.

People tend to abbreviate even Pop Century to Pop even though it's only two words.

Probably just "Animation" or "Animation Resort"

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Well, we're at the xxxxx'.

People tend to abbreviate even Pop Century to Pop even though it's only two words.

I am guessing that it will be truncated to the Animation resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom