Walt Disney World to build 2,000-room Hotel: Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

CP_alum08

Sounds good to me! Hopefully there is concept art, cells, etc. from all the movies hanging around. Would be neat to see some of the life size models they have made too. And personally for me, Im glad they are building another resort instead of a 5th gate.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well its a Pop Half Century ;)

Its been open for 7 years without the other decades, and Disney have not had a problem with that, nor have the guests. The icons in place at Pop are very popular, and I just don't see Disney getting anything out of a retheme. It isn't worth the expense and upsetting all those guests who enjoy the current theme of Pop.

I could turn out to be wrong, but I would be willing to take a sportsmans bet that Pop will not be changed.

Hiding the new resort wont be difficult, and if needed, removing a bridge is nothing (for Disney). They could also just leave that in place, in much the same way as the two Port Orleans Resorts are connected. The theme of the two is close enough that they can co-exist.

I agree; there's no need to change or be concerned about changing, the theming of Pop. If anything, hopefully the construction of the new resort will allow Pop to get some TLC....

wannabeBelle

Its been open for 7 years without the other decades, and Disney have not had a problem with that, nor have the guests. The icons in place at Pop are very popular, and I just don't see Disney getting anything out of a retheme. It isn't worth the expense and upsetting all those guests who enjoy the current theme of Pop.

I could turn out to be wrong, but I would be willing to take a sportsmans bet that Pop will not be changed.

Hiding the new resort wont be difficult, and if needed, removing a bridge is nothing (for Disney). They could also just leave that in place, in much the same way as the two Port Orleans Resorts are connected. The theme of the two is close enough that they can co-exist.

Hey there Steve, I think you are correct. Pop seems to have made it's own little niche in the World, I have clients who wont stay at any other Value resort for any number of reasons. I think the theming and set up of the resort doesnt require a re-do at this time and maybe not at all. An interior refurb is possible which isnt so terrible to do. Marie

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
How can WDW afford this resort if they are too "poor" to be able to "afford" to fix the Yeti?

Well, because one project doesn't have much to do with the other, and the issue with the Yeti is more an engineering situation than a financial problem....

DrummerAlly

I agree it would be easy to hide the new resort - Only time will tell on this one! What about the idea of Disney's Animation being represented by only 4 movies. If they weren't planning on re-themeing PC wouldn't they pick a different movie for each building so that it actually is a good representation of Disney's animated films?

wannabeBelle

How can WDW afford this resort if they are too "poor" to be able to "afford" to fix the Yeti?
I would imagine that this is a different pool of money. Im sure Disney has a ton of different budgets for different items. I would think this is a resort based expense, and the repair of the Yeti ( assuming it can be done) would be upkeep of the parks. I doubt one has very much to do with the other. Marie

ryanduggers

My point about Flamingo Crossings was about the real need to build them or not.

I know they are for outside vendors, but more onsite value rooms might make those outside vendors think a little harder before making the leap, especially in the current economy. It always seemed to me like Disney was signalling to the hotel chains it was giving up on more value resorts. Two examples: lots of spending on DVC & not doing anything with Legendary Years for a long time.

This seems to me like a major policy shift.

Princess Clayre

I have mixed feelings about this news.

I think it's great that the other half will get finished and that there will be more family suites at the budget end of the market. But I love Pop Century's theme and I would have really preferred them to finish the complete century.

As much as I love The Lion King & Little mermaid films I go don't see the theme tying together with the property's being so close. I will be sad if Pop Century goes completely :cry:

Mad Stitch

My guess is that we'd see Jungle Book and Lady and the Tramp and then maybe some other classics like Peter Pan, Aladdin & Beauty and the Beast that aren't already represented at ASMovies.

You need to throw some Pixar movies in that mix. If they split the theme of this new resort 2 Disney, 2 Pixar I would expect the same of a Pop re-theme.

I know I have seen pic on here with the layout of what the Legendary Years was going to be. Can we assume those plans are getting dusted off and used with the new theme? Should we be looking for that pic?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It always seemed to me like Disney was signalling to the hotel chains it was giving up on more value resorts. Two examples: lots of spending on DVC & not doing anything with Legendary Years for a long time.

This seems to me like a major policy shift.

I think if outside vendors took that impression they would be mistaken. Why would Disney give up on value resorts? They are typically full, they need more capacity, so why stop making money?

Its been shown many times that sometimes Disney will take a long time to make a decision, and will wait for when the time is right. Rarely are things taken off the table completely.

The strength of Flamingo Crossings would be for someone like Hampton Inn to sell rooms at $80 per night.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I think if outside vendors took that impression they would be mistaken. Why would Disney give up on value resorts? They are typically full, they need more capacity, so why stop making money?

Its been shown many times that sometimes Disney will take a long time to make a decision, and will wait for when the time is right. Rarely are things taken off the table completely.

The strength of Flamingo Crossings would be for someone like Hampton Inn to sell rooms at $80 per night.

Let's not also forget how popular the family suite concept has been at the value resorts. Nor the fact that the values are typically where the various sports/band/cheerleading teams are typically housed for competitions. With ESPN taking over WWS, building another resort can not only allow more families to stay on-site, but also expand the events at WWS as well....

DisneyMusician2

Hey there Steve, I think you are correct. Pop seems to have made it's own little niche in the World, I have clients who wont stay at any other Value resort for any number of reasons. I think the theming and set up of the resort doesnt require a re-do at this time and maybe not at all. An interior refurb is possible which isnt so terrible to do. Marie

I agree, and am surprised they couldn't keep the original legendary years theme when moving forward with the suites. If they wanted to add Disney movie characters, there are many to choose from in that era.

The success of the Pop model should have translated, and I really hope they don't redo it as I am one of those who won't stay at another value at this time.

RiversideBunny

Well, because one project doesn't have much to do with the other, and the issue with the Yeti is more an engineering situation than a financial problem....

Within any large company there are different departments and thus different budgets. There's also the operating budget vs. the long term development budget.

The new resort is probably in the real estate or development budget, or whatever they call it, and the repair of the Yeti (Fix the Yeti !) is in the operating budget.

Money is allocated to each budget based on department requests and management decisions.

:king:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
You need to throw some Pixar movies in that mix. If they split the theme of this new resort 2 Disney, 2 Pixar I would expect the same of a Pop re-theme.

I know I have seen pic on here with the layout of what the Legendary Years was going to be. Can we assume those plans are getting dusted off and used with the new theme? Should we be looking for that pic?

Yep its the same 10 building layout.

Here is an overhead view where you can see the 2 guest wings that were built, and the lobby/foodcourt building.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Resorts/Dis...n-Resort-construction-area-satellite-view.htm

RiversideBunny

There's probably a better return on investment for family suites than for building more individual rooms.
The new resort will be a 'Value' resort but the room prices can be whatever the market determines.

:)

zjer

I wonder if due to the proximity to each other the two resorts will share a bus system like the A.S. resorts?

I hope that is not the case but I can see it happening in the value season.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom