Walt Disney World to build 2,000-room Hotel: Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

Mad Stitch

Very happy that they are adding Value suites but a part of me is disapointed that the original plan will never be completed. Does anyone know what the theming was supposed to be for each decade?

Found the pic I was thinking of in Marni's photo album.

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=7857&size=big&cat=500&sort=1

From looking at that pic of the master plan, we can probably make some assumptions from the shape of the pools. To me they look like a rocket ship, a coke bottle, and a US route marker sign (probably route 66 themed).

Edit: Route 66? I think we know which buildings will have the Cars theme now!

marihalfen

Wow, I really hope you're wrong! I love the theme of Pop, and am really disappointed they didn't finish the Legendary years. I would hate to see Pop's theme changed to a much more generic Disney theme.

To be honest, another movies resort just doesn't show that much invention and ingenuity. Would much rather have seen a completion to the resort with the idea of family suites in mind.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but there it is.

I agree!

I really like the idea of a new resort, but I think this theme is just too similar of what we already have on property. I mean, isn't it just like All Star Movies? :wave:

What's the problem with the Legendary Years theme? I looked perfect for family suites. The parents would be able to relate to it and the kids... well, give them a nice playground and poll and I bet they wouldn't mind.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What is "the BAH"?
Big a$$ Hat

I agree!

I really like the idea of a new resort, but I think this theme is just too similar of what we already have on property. I mean, isn't it just like All Star Movies? :wave:

What's the problem with the Legendary Years theme? I looked perfect for family suites. The parents would be able to relate to it and the kids... well, give them a nice playground and poll and I bet they wouldn't mind.
Similar but not quite the same. Movies is of course about movies. These could be live action, cartoons, etc. Animation will specifically be about Animated movies, shorts etc. Personally I too would rather see the legendary years. My guess is that they are getting a good response from the themed rooms at CBR and have elected to go that direction.

RiversideBunny

Big a$$ Hat

Similar but not quite the same. Movies is of course about movies. These could be live action, cartoons, etc. Animation will specifically be about Animated movies, shorts etc. Personally I too would rather see the legendary years. My guess is that they are getting a good response from the themed rooms at CBR and have elected to go that direction.

They may have decided to go with a completely different name for the new resort in order to prevent confusion if they are to operate separately and independently. Having two Pop Centurys might have caused problems.
:)

lebeau

Big a$$ Hat

From what I have read, the Pop Century theme has been viewed as a failure. Sure, the target audience of baby boomers likes it. But their families don't.

And if the 50-90s didn't click, you have to think the first half of the century would have been an even bigger failure.

I'm actually kind of suprised that the 20th century was ever okayed as a theme in the first place. It's going to have less and less appeal as time goes on.

marihalfen

I hope they refurb the Pop to fit the theme, then. Maybe with some old school Disney Animation... Snow White, Pinochio, Peter Pan... That would be cool!

niteobsrvr

My point about Flamingo Crossings was about the real need to build them or not.

I know they are for outside vendors, but more onsite value rooms might make those outside vendors think a little harder before making the leap, especially in the current economy. It always seemed to me like Disney was signalling to the hotel chains it was giving up on more value resorts. Two examples: lots of spending on DVC & not doing anything with Legendary Years for a long time.

This seems to me like a major policy shift.

I dont think its a shift in Policy. The policy was shifted by economics. There is no shortage of people wanting to stay in the value resorts. I wish I could say the same about the moderates.

Flamingo Crossings will eventually be built to replace the tacky and somewhat crime ridden area that 192 in Kissimmee has become. If you do a quick drive through that area you will quickly see that most of the major Hotel brands that serve certain budgets have disappeared over the last few years. Properties that were once Holiday Inns and what not are now off branded extended stay hotels. Many of those are housing people who live there full time.

epcot2004

Found the pic I was thinking of in Marni's photo album.

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=7857&size=big&cat=500&sort=1

From looking at that pic of the master plan, we can probably make some assumptions from the shape of the pools. To me they look like a rocket ship, a coke bottle, and a US route marker sign (probably route 66 themed).

Edit: Route 66? I think we know which buildings will have the Cars theme now!

Thanks although I am even more disapointed that they did not stick with the original plan now that I see the great idea that will never be.

slappy magoo

My Criswell du jour would be that Pop will eventually be converted into an all "Art of Animation" resort. A year after the new resort opens, they'll claim the "resounding popularity" of the theme convinced 'em to expand to include all of what Pop Century is. They'll close and renovate one building at a time, possibly including renovating some rooms to be suites there as well. After that, they'll do one of two things over at All-Star:

1: Make some changes to All-Star Movies to remove references to cartoons. Theme it to live action hits in the Disney canon.

2: Re-theme the entire resort to something else. With all the hooplah over converting some of the rooms at Caribbean Resort into a PotC motif, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire All-Star area got retrofitted with a "Walt Disney World Resort Resort" theme, with rooms set up to remind people of their favorite attractions.

niteobsrvr

I agree!

You mean Great Grand Parents right? My Dad was born in the 40's. I am in my 40s. Even some of the people I graduate with have children in college now. Some even graduating.

If you were born in the first decade of the Legendary years, you would be 100 plus to day. Born in the teens and you would be in your 90's, 20's in your 80's, 30's in your 70's. Most people at those ages have kids who are adults who have kids who are adults who have kids. There just aren't enough 80 to 110 year olds traveling to Disney to make the Legendary years a viable nostalgia attraction.

EpcotServo

Oh good. More hotel rooms. An attraction would have been nice....But no. Hotel rooms are fine though.

Kind of would've liked something more specific than a clone of All Star Movies...

But...oh well.

Kind of just a long term move to siphon off people thinking of staying off site come Harry Potter time...sooo....

Y'know, letting Universal build a big attraction to get people to come here, then bask in the hotel revenue when people decide to stay at Disney instead of Universal or off site, because of value hotels like the one opening in 2012, which combined with an aging Potterland, and a fresh as new kid's oriented Fantasyland will effectively give Disney more profits with less investment.

Effectively sharp minded, but not so much...on the...ya'know....quality angle, but yeah. Can't win em' all.

But hey...whatever. It's your thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom