Walt Disney World to build 2,000-room Hotel: Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

_Scar

i
Read my other posts. Those were just ideas that could have been used to spawn the themes for those decades.

But half of those themes Disney would not use. :lookaroun

Anywho, this could of been the AWESOME Fantasyland hotel we're missing along with Liberty Square's. It would of been nice and interesting to have an animation deluxe hotel close to MK.

Mr.EPCOT

i

But half of those themes Disney would not use. :lookaroun

Anywho, this could of been the AWESOME Fantasyland hotel we're missing along with Liberty Square's. It would of been nice and interesting to have an animation deluxe hotel close to MK.

You know that the Magic Kingdom area resorts were NOT developed to correlate with the Magic Kingdom lands, right?

Biff215

I'm with Tigerace81 on this one. Obviously, the details of things like the Great Depression and World War II would be too dreary for a Disney resort, but that wouldn't have been the focus, any more than things like the Vietnam War or the Iran hostage crisis are the focus of the existing Pop Century, with its focus on the second half of the 20th century.

Pop Century is all about popular culture — not politics or history — and on that front I think the first half of the century easily beats the second half. Jazz and Big Band sounds, the golden age of radio, the silent film era...nothing against Elvis or the Beatles, but I just think the 1920s-1940s present a much more interesting popular culture to mine.

Obviously it's all a moot point now. The Legendary Years isn't happening, but I don't want to see the idea poo-pooed by the suggestion that the Great Depression or the Hiroshima bombing wouldn't work for a resort. That never would have been the focus.

Even if the idea is dead at Pop Century, I still think this time in American history would be a great idea for a resort or attraction in the future. Heck, it could be the background of the Walt Disney Resort, since it's the same culture that Walt was living in as his career took off.

I hear what you're saying, but unfortunately Disney is looking at it from the perspective of guest appeal. Since this resort is taking them over ten years to finish, I think they're now finding that the first half of the 20th century is not as relevant to today's guests. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but let's be honest, a movie-themed resort is going to fill faster than pop culture from an era that is older than the average guest. It's the same reason ASMovies seems more popular than ASMusic. Would you rather stay in a TS themed room or calypso music? :lookaroun

Biff215

Well they did end up somewhat correlating- even if it's a conincidence.

Might as well finish up the job.

Trying to shove two more themed deluxe resorts on SSL? No thanks, even if I do like to compare the current resorts to the MK lands.

_Scar

Trying to shove two more themed deluxe resorts on SSL? No thanks, even if I do like to compare the current resorts to the MK lands.

Doesn't have to be on SSL- I do admit I love the area though.

Maybe in the prime spot next to Contemporary where the Venetian or Persian hotel was supposed to go.

peter11435

Not according to the plans I just saw. It's going to be nearly identical to the other values but different theaming.

Yeah. I am 99.9% sure there will not be interior hallways at Art of Animation. I imagine that rumor comes from the construction of the model rooms inside what was to be Legendary Hall.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
You know that the Magic Kingdom area resorts were NOT developed to correlate with the Magic Kingdom lands, right?

I'm not sure if you're being serious but...

The contemporary actually was desgined to correlate to Tomorrowland because, especially when the park opened, Tomorrowland was so barren, you could clearly see the Contemporary from it.

Also, when you're taking the tour as a new CM they tell you that the Exposition Hall was made full size so you couldn't see the Contemporary from Main St.

The Polynesian fits in with Adventureland, and I've been told that the Grand Floridian fits with Main Street. I guess it's close enough.

WDWCPF98

The contemporary actually was desgined to correlate to Tomorrowland because, especially when the park opened, Tomorrowland was so barren, you could clearly see the Contemporary from it.

Also, when you're taking the tour as a new CM they tell you that the Exposition Hall was made full size so you couldn't see the Contemporary from Main St.

The Polynesian fits in with Adventureland, and I've been told that the Grand Floridian fits with Main Street. I guess it's close enough.
...yeah and Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness fit with Frontierland. Wasn't there even a train connecting Fort Wilderness to Frontierland in the 70's?

EDIT: Seems like the Fort Wilderness Railroad did not go to MK - it was just used within Fort Wilderness.

Tom

Beta Return

In all of the books I've read about WDW, I've never heard this theory. I don't think the Contemporary was actually designed and located specifically to fit with Tomorrowland....I think it was more that they didn't have to mask the sight lines after it was built, because it was OK to see it from TL. Along the same lines, they DID make the Expo Hall full size so that you couldn't see Contemp from Main Street - but that was more of an afterthought.

The Grand Floridian has it's own story (that I won't regurgitate here) and has nothing to do with Main Street.

While there may have been some inspiration from AL for the idea of Poly, it wasn't designed to directly relate to the land, as far as I know.

Same for Wilderness Lodge/Campground. All of the resort hotels stemmed from original ideas, and any relation to a theme park or land is most likely coincidental.

Mr.EPCOT

I'm being completely serious. The idea that they developed the hotels specifically based on the lands is 100% urban legend. Remember that the original roster of hotels more or less included the Mediterranean, Indian, and Asian (which was the original concept slated for the spot that eventually became the Grand Floridian, which wasn't conceived of until the early 80s, and almost certainly wasn't inspired by Main Street), in addition to the Polynesian, Contemporary, Ft. Wilderness, and what eventually became Wilderness Lodge. What lands would those other hotels correspond to? And the Contemporary didn't jive with Tomorrowland so much as it didn't clash.

SeaCastle

To quote from the Widen Your World Asian Resort site...

The positioning of the Asian on this side of the lagoon was in keeping with a school of thought that seems to have been dismissed by the early 1980s...that hotels on the Seven Seas Lagoon would serve as extended backdrops for the lands on the southern side of the Magic Kingdom. The Contemporary sits behind Tomorrowland, the Polynesian behind Adventureland. The Asian would also fall behind Adventureland, helping to maintain a broad but subtle sense of order.

I wouldn't dismiss it entirely as urban legend. Though, the fact that the Grand Floridian Beach Resort and Main Street correlate is, in my opinion, a non-issue. You can't see any resort from Main Street, and once you're out in the entrance plaza, you can see all of the resort hotels.

That said, I don't disagree that the Polynesian and Contemporary (or Asian, at that) were placed intentionally for aesthetic purposes, but as the quote said, you can't apply that for all of the hotels. Plus, keep in mind that the vegetation was much less dense when they were built (and the ensuing years after), so the need for a visually relevant hotel would have existed.

Mr.EPCOT

To quote from the Widen Your World Asian Resort site...

I wouldn't dismiss it entirely as urban legend. Though, the fact that the Grand Floridian Beach Resort and Main Street correlate is, in my opinion, a non-issue. You can't see any resort from Main Street, and once you're out in the entrance plaza, you can see all of the resort hotels.

That said, I don't disagree that the Polynesian and Contemporary (or Asian, at that) were placed intentionally for aesthetic purposes, but as the quote said, you can't apply that for all of the hotels. Plus, keep in mind that the vegetation was much less dense when they were built (and the ensuing years after), so the need for a visually relevant hotel would have existed.

Absolutely they would have put thought into the arrangement and design for aesthetic purposes, but people seem to think the Imagineers just sat around planning Disney World saying 'oh, this will be the Adventureland Hotel, and this will be the Tomorrowland Hotel, and this the Frontierland Hotel, etc.' when that's just simply not the case.

_Scar

Absolutely they would have put thought into the arrangement and design for aesthetic purposes, but people seem to think the Imagineers just sat around planning Disney World saying 'oh, this will be the Adventureland Hotel, and this will be the Tomorrowland Hotel, and this the Frontierland Hotel, etc.' when that's just simply not the case.

But in the end it does apply even if they didn't try lol :shrug:

Spike-in-Berlin

Another value resort definitely makes sense, as this resort category is still a little to underrepresented in the world, especially considering that there are much more visitors that can afford a value instead of a moderate or a deluxe.
But I am also a firm believer in the completion of the MK-resort area. It definitely was a part of the original design that every land in the MK would be matched by a resort in the MK resort area around Seven Seas Lagoon. Thats a fact and stated in books. I even believe it is written in some imagineering books by disney. I'll look it up. I can't believe that the matching is simply coincedence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom