Walt Disney World to build 2,000-room Hotel: Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

Mr.EPCOT

It definitely was a part of the original design that every land in the MK would be matched by a resort in the MK resort area around Seven Seas Lagoon.

No, it wasn't.

Thats a fact and stated in books.

No, it isn't.

I even believe it is written in some imagineering books by disney. I'll look it up.
Good luck. You're going to need it. As in, the slip-into-a-parallel-universe-where-this-is-actually-true kind of luck.

What I believe you will find in Imagineering literature is information about the actual original pattern for the hotels. The idea was that they would all be themed to various corners of the globe, hence the name... Seven Seas Lagoon.

I can't believe that the matching is simply coincedence.

That much is obvious for some of you.
Look, it's as simple as this: if this was the case, looking at the original plans from the late 60s/early 70s, what would be the hotels that go with Main Street, Fantasyland, and Liberty Square? And what lands would the Asian, Mediterranean/Venetian, and Indian go with?

SeaCastle

To alleviate confusion, those hotels were built to be backdrops to the lands at the front of the park. They were never supposed to have a hotel for each land at the Magic Kingdom. But an aesthetically fitting hotel would have been needed in a place like Adventureland and Tomorrowland, where you would be able to see the outside world. Thus, the Asian, Polynesian, and Contemporary were placed with respect to their corresponding similarly themed lands.

Fantasyland, Frontierland, and Main Street, USA are areas at the back of the park where you cannot see past the berm. There are no Fantasyland, Frontierland, or Main-Street-themed hotels. The Polynesian, Asian, and Contemporary had a role that needed to be filled - to be a backdrop.

Mr.EPCOT

To alleviate confusion, those hotels were built to be backdrops to the lands at the front of the park. They were never supposed to have a hotel for each land at the Magic Kingdom. But an aesthetically fitting hotel would have been needed in a place like Adventureland and Tomorrowland, where you would be able to see the outside world. Thus, the Asian, Polynesian, and Contemporary were placed with respect to their corresponding similarly themed lands.

Fantasyland, Frontierland, and Main Street, USA are areas at the back of the park where you cannot see past the berm. There are no Fantasyland, Frontierland, or Main-Street-themed hotels. The Polynesian, Asian, and Contemporary had a role that needed to be filled - to be a backdrop.

That is probably the best way to put it, thank you.

Dragonrider1227

One its face, it seems a little surprising given the economy; however, now would be the time to build with the labor market depressed, costs will be lower. Plus, 2012 is reasonably far away, Disney may fully expect the market to recover by then. Moreover, the company probably knows what the demand is for Value Resorts (although one can't help but wonder if fewer Values would 'push' people into Moderates...or would they push too many people off site?).
Probably being 'pushed' off site. Hence why they want to build this. Bet lots of people were thinking "Well, we can't stay at Disney, so we'll stay at Nickelodeon!"
We're planning a trip around 2012 for the FL Expansion so I hope this is completed by then

trr1

Is there any recent news or pictures on the Disney's Art of Animation Resort build? it is planned to open in the Summer of 2012

lebeau

Is there any recent news or pictures on the Disney's Art of Animation Resort build? it is planned to open in the Summer of 2012

The last I saw was a Disney blog posting from a few months back with some concept art.

I'm really interested. I've got my eye on it for our next trip if it is reasonably priced.

GeoDonJac34

thanks for the info:wave:
Classic, I almost spit my drink out reading that.
I have no info on the new resort, but stayed at POP in Oct., and there was no movement at all over there. We had a room facing hourglass lake, and I have to say that when strolling around the lake up to the old buildings, they are pretty creepy at night. I joked with the wife we should hop the fence and take a walk around. She smartly said no.

flavious27

Another value resort definitely makes sense, as this resort category is still a little to underrepresented in the world, especially considering that there are much more visitors that can afford a value instead of a moderate or a deluxe.
But I am also a firm believer in the completion of the MK-resort area. It definitely was a part of the original design that every land in the MK would be matched by a resort in the MK resort area around Seven Seas Lagoon. Thats a fact and stated in books. I even believe it is written in some imagineering books by disney. I'll look it up. I can't believe that the matching is simply coincedence.

it would be great for them to complete the ring around the seven seas lagoon, adding the Mediterranean Resort between the inlet to bay lake the ttc and possibly adding a resort between Floridan way and the inlet to rivers of America.

PhilharMagician

RunnerEd

it would be great for them to complete the ring around the seven seas lagoon, adding the Mediterranean Resort between the inlet to bay lake the ttc and possibly adding a resort between Floridan way and the inlet to rivers of America.

I've read that the land between TTC and the Bay Lake inlet is not suitable to build anything big on. Personally, I would rather see the other area that you mentioned reserved for possible expansion of the MK one decade in the future.

brucie

Classic, I almost spit my drink out reading that.
I have no info on the new resort, but stayed at POP in Oct., and there was no movement at all over there. We had a room facing hourglass lake, and I have to say that when strolling around the lake up to the old buildings, they are pretty creepy at night. I joked with the wife we should hop the fence and take a walk around. She smartly said no.

If they have not even started yet will it be done by summer 2012???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom