Walt Disney World to build 2,000-room Hotel: Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

Tomi-Rocket

The first time we went in '05 we stayed at the PC. Then on the bus the driver spoke about the second half, The Golden Years that would be finished by '07 and would cover the years '00's to '40's. I was so excited to go back and try that new extension. Fast forward two years later when I was making our reservations and could find nothing about the Golden Years part. I wondered if I just dreamt it or something, lol. Finally I found that they had simply abandoned the project and there sat what had been started.

I was so excited to see this announcement about them building something and then more so about the theming. I also love that it's geared towards boys, too. I have two and it seems the bulk of everything is geared towards girls and the princesses. Which I don't mind, I love to see the little girls all dressed up in their princess wear in the parks! But I'm glad to see boys being catered to now as well. I even sent an email to WDW suggesting character meals more geared towards boys - Cars, Pirates, and so on. Knowing how Disney is I cannot wait to see this new property and since my kids are getting older a family suite will be perfect because a regular room with them might be a bit too cramped.

Like I said, I cannot wait to see this when it's finished! :)

scpergj

I'm looking forward to this being open, for a couple of reasons.

1. We stayed at the Pop Century the weekend it opened...seriously. Didn't know anything about it at all before hand, I just called Disney to get a room for that weekend and Pop Century was recomended - this was before I discovered all the Disney websites and information available on the internet.

2. Finally having something to look at other than 'ruins' across the lake from Pop Century!

I'm thinking we'll book this one for the weekend it opens, too...whenever that happens to be!

_Scar

I think this is a terrible idea. Disney does know a century means 100 years right?

Yea, but do we really need a World War II building?

Or a 1910 building... what happened in 1910? :lol::lookaroun

I love the idea of the family suites. My family would finally be able to stay all together on vacation for a low price. Price and space always prevents us from staying together on grounds. :(

Tigerace81

I love World War II. I may only be 17 but I can name facts off the top of my head as if I had studied it for a lifetime. World War I happened in the 1910s haha. There could be something about the introduction of mechanized warfare through the use of airplanes, tanks, and machine guns?

1900s - Modern Inventions (car, airplane)
1910s - Titanic/World War I
1920s - Jazz Age/Roaring Twenties
1930s - Great Depression
1940s - World at War/Cold War?

Haha maybe not the best overall themes but thats from a Historical view, I would be interested in the Titanic also if it had been included in the original plans.

Tigerace81

Eh They shouldnt have abandoned the original plans. We went to the Pop when it opened and loved it. Since its opened we've stayed there ever since, and have always looked forward to Phase 2 to begin. Unfortunately int he future from our 60's building we will now be looking at large statues of ariel, lightning mcqueen and other characters. It just ruins the feel of the resort.

Evil Genius

As others have stated...I along with my family are really looking forward to the new suites! We always have to get two rooms in order to accomodate our family size and it looks like the new suites would fit all of us! And just the idea of an animation theme resort makes perfect sense.

DougK

I love World War II. I may only be 17 but I can name facts off the top of my head as if I had studied it for a lifetime. World War I happened in the 1910s haha. There could be something about the introduction of mechanized warfare through the use of airplanes, tanks, and machine guns?

1900s - Modern Inventions (car, airplane)
1910s - Titanic/World War I
1920s - Jazz Age/Roaring Twenties
1930s - Great Depression
1940s - World at War/Cold War?

Haha maybe not the best overall themes but thats from a Historical view, I would be interested in the Titanic also if it had been included in the original plans.

Imagine telling someone how awesome your vacation was: "We stayed in the Great Depression building at Walt Disney World". Oooh, sounds like fun!

Wilt Dasney

I'm with Tigerace81 on this one. Obviously, the details of things like the Great Depression and World War II would be too dreary for a Disney resort, but that wouldn't have been the focus, any more than things like the Vietnam War or the Iran hostage crisis are the focus of the existing Pop Century, with its focus on the second half of the 20th century.

Pop Century is all about popular culture — not politics or history — and on that front I think the first half of the century easily beats the second half. Jazz and Big Band sounds, the golden age of radio, the silent film era...nothing against Elvis or the Beatles, but I just think the 1920s-1940s present a much more interesting popular culture to mine.

Obviously it's all a moot point now. The Legendary Years isn't happening, but I don't want to see the idea poo-pooed by the suggestion that the Great Depression or the Hiroshima bombing wouldn't work for a resort. That never would have been the focus.

Even if the idea is dead at Pop Century, I still think this time in American history would be a great idea for a resort or attraction in the future. Heck, it could be the background of the Walt Disney Resort, since it's the same culture that Walt was living in as his career took off.

Since Michael Jackson is coming back with Captain EO, This new resort should be a showcase of TouchLESS technology - Touchless doors, faucets, and light switches.

_Scar

Imagine telling someone how awesome your vacation was: "We stayed in the Great Depression building at Walt Disney World". Oooh, sounds like fun!

:sohappy:

The Great Depression rooms should have no running water and a bucket for a toilet seat. Forget beds. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom