News Walt Disney World theme parks increase capacity but see longer waits and less physical distancing

GladToBeHear

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if FL demanded WDW to triple their old pre-pandemic maximum capacity and then fine WDW if they don't fill it up to that capacity every day.
Or maybe they're just giving the businesses in their state the freedom to decide how best to run their business and take care of their own employees and customers. I know. Crazy talk.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Either you're an evil, dictator regime that wants to imprison everyone in their homes -- or you want to kill Grandma. It has to be one or the other. Amirite?
No. There needs to be a middle ground. But when there’s too many idiots still running around, sadly the majority plus the idiots still need to be told what to do and how to do it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Or maybe they're just giving the businesses in their state the freedom to decide how best to run their business and take care of their own employees and customers. I know. Crazy talk.

The entire argument is being “framed” in way to serve the daily whim of powerbrokers (typical...but disappointing) and not really at all about living people and how to secure them financially and in the face of a world altering event.
The situation...instead of being the normal 100% money and 50% politics...is 95% money and 90% politics...out of a total 100%.

That’s why common sense is being strangled to be silenced out back.
No. There needs to be a middle ground. But when there’s too many idiots still running around, sadly the majority plus the idiots still need to be told what to do and how to do it.
Agree...I have loved now a growing trend of people almost wishing fastpass+ back...it sucked. How “conditioned” has the customer base become?

MikeyK72

On top of this, I think they are also giving the citizens in their state the freedom to decide how best to move on with their lives. They are letting folks who aren't high-risk and/or who aren't overly concerned with contracting the virus make their own decisions about leaving their house. They are also letting folks who are concerned about contracting the virus take their own precautions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
On top of this, I think they are also giving the citizens in their state the freedom to decide how best to move on with their lives. They are letting folks who aren't high-risk and/or who aren't overly concerned with contracting the virus make their own decisions about leaving their house. They are also letting folks who are concerned about contracting the virus take their own precautions.
I see where this thread is going...

There are no “low risk” people...because anyone can be a vector. Spread is the problem.

There is way more residual brain damage in the public - I assume due to past blunt force trauma - than anyone on earth could have imagined.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Thats a drawback of individual freedom, people are free to be idiots. Of course in this PC world, what exactly an "idiot" can be defined as is up for debate if indeed it can without offending some identity group. I say put them all in a room with live electrical sockets and forks and let nature take its course.

MikeyK72

I see where this thread is going...

There are no “low risk” people...because anyone can be a vector. Spread is the problem.

There is way more residual brain damage in the public - I assume due to past blunt force trauma - than anyone on earth could have imagined.
I used the term "high-risk" meaning that if they contract the virus they are at high risk of severe complications...such as folks with certain pre-existing conditions and the elderly. Based on the numbers that we've witnessed over the last several months, I think it's a fact that the majority of folks who contract the virus do not need the ICU or even medical attention at all.

The brain damage comment wasn't nice. I'm pretty sure that I remember the original "flatten the curve" effort as a way to protect hospitals from becoming overwhelmed with folks needing the ICU and ventilators. We wanted to prevent the spread because we didn't have the data we have now. However, with all of the positive cases we see every day, I think we know by now that contracting this virus isn't an automatic hospital sentence and doesn't mean you'll need to be on a ventilator...unless of course you fall into the "high-risk" category.

I think we have plenty of data showing that high numbers of folks who test positive do not need medical attention and thus it doesn't appear that the hospitals are at risk of becoming overwhelmed as originally thought. Consider this, with all of the new daily positive cases we've been seeing even with restrictions in place it's a good thing that most do not need medical attention...because if they did what we're doing now wouldn't be enough to keep the hospitals from becoming overwhelmed.

Oh yeah...I hate Fastpass+ too and looking forward to going to WDW in roughly 2 weeks for a taste of old school standby pre-FP and FP+.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thats a drawback of individual freedom, people are free to be idiots. Of course in this PC world, what exactly an "idiot" can be defined as is up for debate if indeed it can without offending some identity group. I say put them all in a room with live electrical sockets and forks and let nature take its course.
Not when their idiocy hurts others, like in spreading disease or polluting the environment or starting fires with gender reveal smoke bombs (happened twice already!) or importing invasive plants and animals or driving at any speed they wish or building unsafe buildings or selling unsafe food or making false medical claims about their snake oil.

We have a long tradition of outlawing idiocy when it affects people other than the idiot.

ImperfectPixie

I used the term "high-risk" meaning that if they contract the virus they are at high risk of severe complications...such as folks with certain pre-existing conditions and the elderly. Based on the numbers that we've witnessed over the last several months, I think it's a fact that the majority of folks who contract the virus do not need the ICU or even medical attention at all.

The brain damage comment wasn't nice. I'm pretty sure that I remember the original "flatten the curve" effort as a way to protect hospitals from becoming overwhelmed with folks needing the ICU and ventilators. We wanted to prevent the spread because we didn't have the data we have now. However, with all of the positive cases we see every day, I think we know by now that contracting this virus isn't an automatic hospital sentence and doesn't mean you'll need to be on a ventilator...unless of course you fall into the "high-risk" category.

I think we have plenty of data showing that high numbers of folks who test positive do not need medical attention and thus it doesn't appear that the hospitals are at risk of becoming overwhelmed as originally thought. Consider this, with all of the new daily positive cases we've been seeing even with restrictions in place it's a good thing that most do not need medical attention...because if they did what we're doing now wouldn't be enough to keep the hospitals from becoming overwhelmed.

Oh yeah...I hate Fastpass+ too and looking forward to going to WDW in roughly 2 weeks for a taste of old school standby pre-FP and FP+.
We've seen plenty of stories of healthy people with no pre-existing conditions suffering greatly with COVID...some even dying. Yes, relatively speaking those are few, but they still make COVID a roll of the dice.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I understand what you’re saying...

But I’m tired of this...this isn’t an issue of Individual choice...we have basically put ourselves into a public experiment and gotten nowhere.

“I don’t care...I’m healthy” is just stretching this out to no end. We’re not going to get back to normalcy until the “can’t tell me what to do!” Stops.

It’s tired...it’s just self serving and rudderless...not an academic paper on theory of governance.

And that does not mean that California gets a pass. I’m disappointed in how toothless Newsome is...he is all over the damn map.

But let’s be serious: you don’t blind trust Florida. Words to live by. That should be chiseled on one of the stone tablets.

The snowbirds are migrating south as we speak...and they’re wondering how to sell more landshark at Joe Robbie???

That’s just intellectually stupid.

techgeek

One of the most alarming aspects of all of this for me is that the word ‘freedom’ has been hijacked and redefined to enable an implicitly selfish denial of science. This is not the kind of freedom I grew up with.

Many of those concerned about contracting the virus, including some on these boards, have been forced by those ‘freedoms’ to take to risks they do not feel comfortable taking... and I’m not talking about the risks associated with being ‘forced’ to stand in a 60 minute socially distanced line for a roller coaster.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I’ve already watched what letting idiots run the show looks like. You’ll have to strangle me on the hill I fight against it on to get me to “accept” it.

MikeyK72

We've seen plenty of stories of healthy people with no pre-existing conditions suffering greatly with COVID...some even dying. Yes, relatively speaking those are few, but they still make COVID a roll of the dice.
Agree. Just originally saying that I supported folks making their own decisions about how to proceed. That way, business owners would have the freedom to decide how to operate their businesses and customers would be able to decided if they were comfortable enough with those operating decisions to patronize.

We are living the opposite today where the Governors made those decisions for us...I'm willing to give the alternative a try.

ImperfectPixie

Agree. Just originally saying that I supported folks making their own decisions about how to proceed. That way, business owners would have the freedom to decide how to operate their businesses and customers would be able to decided if they were comfortable enough with those operating decisions to patronize.

We are living the opposite today where the Governors made those decisions for us...I'm willing to give the alternative a try.
Thanks, but I don't agree at all. We've seen where people given the choice always make the wrong one. See Florida...mandates went away and now almost no one is masking up and it's a free-for-all.

EDIT: Masks need the mandate behind them...or things are going to get very ugly.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Either you're an evil, dictator regime that wants to imprison everyone in their homes -- or you want to kill Grandma. It has to be one or the other. Amirite?

^ Sarcasm

1602163149882.png

^ Sarcasm

GimpYancIent

Thanks, but I don't agree at all. We've seen where people given the choice always make the wrong one. See Florida...mandates went away and now almost no one is masking up and it's a free-for-all.

EDIT: Masks need the mandate behind them...or things are going to get very ugly.
Mask mandates WILL make things ugly. A truly disturbing vision of the mask police in golf carts or Segway's harassing people because they may be outdoors (ever so briefly) w/o a mask. Politicians smiling because they found another revenue stream. If I go running, biking, hiking, driving my car, work in my yard or simply take out the trash NO I do not wear a mask because to date no one has been within 10 to12 yards of me far more than the mandated 6ft. At places of business or when in areas where others are and distancing becomes an issue, indoors or out, I do wear a mask. It is called common sense and common courtesy / consideration of others. Draconian imposition of such mandates is an opening for further abuse of power and authority. If you like authoritarianism go to The Peoples Republic of China.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom