News Walt Disney World theme parks increase capacity but see longer waits and less physical distancing

MikeyK72

This:

You have a 30 minute window to return. Without Fastpass the line should move well (albeit with attraction capacity lowered)

Better than lines spilling out everywhere.
Didn't they do something similar to this a few years ago in MK for the princess meet and greets?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So it’s kinda like the old paper FP system where you get assigned a return time.
Yep. It’s a way of accommodating more standby line capacity without having the physical space. Time slots are released 4 times a day And you have to be in park to book a slot. One slot at a time, ride, then move on to the next. Not all attractions will use it, nor will those that do use it all the time. Only when needed.

Could also help avoid a one way system in other parks - the logistics of which could cause more trouble than it solves.

TrainsOfDisney

So it’s kinda like the old paper FP system where you get assigned a return time. But there is a chance you don’t need one at all just go directly to standby anytime. Also, without the need to run to certain kiosks to grab a ticket, I can get into that.
Any thought on the “one way” idea?
FP is a choice though... you could join the standby line at anytime if you wanted to.

There’s already a limited amount of things to do in the parks, further limiting what you can do when, sounds like a bad idea. But I’m not there, so maybe it’s the best solution they can come up with.

As with some other changes, it seems like they are using covid as an excuse to make changes that are in favor of park operations. Now there is a limit to how many standby passes are given out.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
FP is a choice though... you could join the standby line at anytime if you wanted to.

There’s already a limited amount of things to do in the parks, further limiting what you can do when, sounds like a bad idea. But I’m not there, so maybe it’s the best solution they can come up with.

As with some other changes, it seems like they are using covid as an excuse to make changes that are in favor of park operations. Now there is a limit to how many standby passes are given out.
When it comes to Orlando, you will still have a choice: go or don’t go.

UNCgolf

Yep. It’s a way of accommodating more standby line capacity without having the physical space. Time slots are released 4 times a day And you have to be in park to book a slot. One slot at a time, ride, then move on to the next. Not all attractions will use it, nor will those that do use it all the time. Only when needed.

Could also help avoid a one way system in other parks - the logistics of which could cause more trouble than it solves.

The old paper FP system still had a separate queue, though, right? Whereas with this system everyone will still use the same queue.

It's been a while so I don't remember.

Soccerbrad

If they are only released 4 times a day does that mean it’s always in effect and not just when the queue is potentially too long?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If they are only released 4 times a day does that mean it’s always in effect and not just when the queue is potentially too long?
I don’t know the specifics. But currently there are four time slots for release. It is only in use when needed - say by 4pm a reservation may no longer be needed. Nor might it be needed on a Wednesday. The app will tell you.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In my opinion, given 100 percent CORRECT mask usage AND 100 percent correct sanitation (hand washing, cleaning all surfaces), temp checks and folks staying home when they have any symptoms, in my opinion, we could drop the social distancing like in Asia.

Unless you're using a fitted N95, masks do not provide 100% capture of aerosols/droplets, even when used 100% correctly.

They provide a *layer* of reduced risk. Distancing isn't 100% mitigation, either. It's another layer of reducing risk. Being outdoors doesn't take away all risk, but is a big reduction in risk.

You keep layering the risk reductions and then you get it close to 100%.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I left AK an hour ago. The park wasn't crowded, wait times for popular rides were no longer than an hour. Even then, the spilling of the lines on walkways, with no shade at almost 90°, even when wearing a hat, was discouraging (to me).

I don't know how that's going to work in the middle of summer with higher humidity and increased capacities.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

Better than lines spilling out everywhere.
That depends.

As someone who enjoys walking through the park more than the attractions themselves, long lines (even those than snake through the park) gobble up a lot of Guests, making the walkways that much more bearable.

This is a sample of what I dealt with last week at DHS, where nearly every attraction had a posted wait time longer than 30 minutes, commonly 60-90 minutes. Just imagine what the walkways would have been like if those in 30-60 minute virtual queues were wandering about.

P.S. I wish I took a photo of the Smuggler's Run queue, which ran backstage.

20200928_100311.jpg

20200928_102936.jpg

20200928_103101.jpg

20200928_103510.jpg

20200928_104243.jpg

20200928_113116.jpg

zero creativity

Joke's on you, New Jersey was already a hellscape *before* COVID.

My dad used to say that Jersey's state motto was "Drive through our state, you'll appreciate your state more!"
I lived in central jersey for my first 25 years. Now I live a half hour south of DC in Virginia. I feel Virginia, at least my part, is more of a drive through area.

MikeyK72

I don’t know the specifics. But currently there are four time slots for release. It is only in use when needed - say by 4pm a reservation may no longer be needed. Nor might it be needed on a Wednesday. The app will tell you.
Thanks, definitely sounds different than what was done in MK for the princess meet and greet (just after Frozen was released and the lines were crazy long.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom