Walt Disney World Resort Hotels Go Smoke-Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

There are smokers, and then there are addicts. People who are just smokers can be considered ex-smokers. People who are addicts are always addicts. Take alocholism for example. There are no recovered alcoholic, only recovering alcoholics. This is a pointless conversation, as the smokers feel the need to defend themselves constantly, and (generally) the non-smokers feel the need to gloat, or point out our shortcomings, or basically tell us how stupid we are and how soon we're going to die. Being part of the former group, as well as too smart for my own good, and an insomniac, I'll keep defending myself and fellow addicts.
you are right, it is a pointless discussion as it's not really something any compromise can be met on--everyone has set opinions in on the topic. The more pertinent discussion is why Disney made this decision and whether it was appropriate. I just don't think it's that huge of a deal--all of the dorms here are now smoke-free and a LOT of students smoke--they just light up outside. Sucks in January but I know that at least in a dorm, if one person smokes in his or her room, the entire floor ends up smelling like smoke.

PigletIsMyCat

Sorry but addicts as opposed to just plain old smokers is a cop out. Addicts is a term that is needed to describe people who do not have the desire or will power to succeed in quiting. Saying that addicts are always addicts is an excuse for people who have failed to achieve their goal of quiting. Calling someone a former smoker, or former alcoholic is for the people who succeeded in quiting.

No, it is not a cop out. If you would like me to go into the physiological and psychological explanation, I would be more than happy to. And you saying that addicts is a term needed to describe people without the will power or desire to succeed in quitting is about the most offensive thing I have ever had said to me. Pick up a book at any 12 step program and learn that addicts are NEVER RECOVERED - they are always recovering.

ToTBellHop

I used to be addicted to chicken supreme Gorditas at Taco Bell...I'm still recovering. If they start selling them at La Cantina de San Angél, I may relapse.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I'm addicted to Epcot.

I can't quit you! *runs and jumps into SSE's loving embrace - then bonks head on the bumpy part* Ouch :(

jmvd20

No, it is not a cop out. If you would like me to go into the physiological and psychological explanation, I would be more than happy to. And you saying that addicts is a term needed to describe people without the will power or desire to succeed in quitting is about the most offensive thing I have ever had said to me. Pick up a book at any 12 step program and learn that addicts are NEVER RECOVERED - they are always recovering.

In terms of smoking I stand by what I said, my whole family smoked and quit - how in the world were none of us addicted to it. If I wasn't addicted to it then why did I have the shakes and trembles, and muscle spasms for 2 weeks. How is it that I lost track of time, dazed out etc... I really don't care what a book says - I lived it, my friends lived it, family members lived it - therefore I do consider myself to be in the "know" on this issue.

After all of this I feel that the continued discussion is pointless. It is obvious that you and I feel very strongly about this issue from different sides and will not agree on it. I do not wish to get into another heated argument here, tried that a few days ago and didn't like it.

I'm sure that there are numerous other things and topics we can agree on, so let's try to leave it at that.

PigletIsMyCat

In terms of smoking I stand by what I said, my whole family smoked and quit - how in the world were none of us addicted to it. If I wasn't addicted to it then why did I have the shakes and trembles, and muscle spasms for 2 weeks. How is it that I lost track of time, dazed out etc... I really don't care what a book says - I lived it, my friends lived it, family members lived it - therefore I do consider myself to be in the "know" on this issue.

After all of this I feel that the continued discussion is pointless. It is obvious that you and I feel very strongly about this issue from different sides and will not agree on it. I do not wish to get into another heated argument here, tried that a few days ago and didn't like it.

I'm sure that there are numerous other things and topics we can agree on, so let's try to leave it at that.

You were a smoker. You are not an addict. You were physically dependent on the chemicals added into cigarettes, which causes the withdrawals and symptoms you described. I think it's great that you and your family were able to quit smoking. However, while you may be in the know about quitting smoking, some of your callous comments in prior posts proves to me that you are not in the know about addiction. I was only replying to what I felt was an offensive remark that made me feel the need to defend myself and my statements, as well as made me feel like the stuff you pull of the bottom of your sneakers at the end of the day.

I know we all get a little hypersensitive on the boards, and some of us (me!) are a little more argumentative than others. Personally, I enjoy the debates and heated discussions that go on around here, and I apologize if I ticked anyone off. Now, I'm going to go have a smoke.

jmvd20

I know we all get a little hypersensitive on the boards, and some of us (me!) are a little more argumentative than others. Personally, I enjoy the debates and heated discussions that go on around here, and I apologize if I ticked anyone off. Now, I'm going to go have a smoke.

I enjoy the heated discussion as well, I love to argue and could go on and on for hours. Sometimes I have enough sense to stop prior to getting other people upset, but other times it gets ugly. That is of course only because I am always right - other people just don't seem to understand that sometimes :lookaroun

PigletIsMyCat

I enjoy the heated discussion as well, I love to argue and could go on and on for hours. Sometimes I have enough sense to stop prior to getting other people upset, but other times it gets ugly. That is of course only because I am always right - other people just don't seem to understand that sometimes :lookaroun

See, even with your commenting that you're always right you have dismissed everything I was trying to say and are obviously discounting my knowledge, as well as implying I do not have the sense gods gave a sparrow. It is true that we all have different experiences in life, but until you have studied, lived through, and understood addiction, calling it a cop out and stating that addicts are weak willed was still rude and offensive. Statements like that are what contribute to the stigmas still wrongly attached to the word 'addict'.

jmvd20

See, even with your commenting that you're always right you have dismissed everything I was trying to say and are obviously discounting my knowledge, as well as implying I do not have the sense gods gave a sparrow. It is true that we all have different experiences in life, but until you have studied, lived through, and understood addiction, calling it a cop out and stating that addicts are weak willed was still rude and offensive. Statements like that are what contribute to the stigmas still wrongly attached to the word 'addict'.

Not at all - me saying that I am always right was a sarcastic joke about my love for arguing, thus I used the lookaround smiley. I am not discounting anything that you have said, I never implied anything about your sense or intelligence.

This is obviously an area that you feel very strongly about and rightfully so. I do not wish to offend you or anyone else for that matter, due to this I have dropped the argument/discussion that was taking place.

PigletIsMyCat

My apologies, sarcasm does not always translate well on screen, especially after 1am when I've been reared up for a heated arguement and am hopped up on brownies (that's right, fresh brownies). I think I should put this last brownie away before I hurt someone.

jmvd20

My apologies, sarcasm does not always translate well on screen, especially after 1am when I've been reared up for a heated arguement and am hopped up on brownies (that's right, fresh brownies). I think I should put this last brownie away before I hurt someone.

No apology needed, it is very hard to detect the sarcasm sometimes. I tried using the roll eyes look before but some people thought I was trying to be cocky by using that so I went to the look around smiley now.

I must ask though - why did you have to rub in the part about the brownies being fresh? Do you think you could e-mail me one of them somehow :lol:

Enderikari

Wow, there is a lot of bile spit back and forth for what equates to be a pretty simple answer... One word, and Lee already threw it down...

Economics

If Disney thought it could make more money catering to smokers, then you would see smoking buildings, increased designated smoking areas, etc... But as it stands, it seems the money is garnered by catering to the non-smoking crowd... Is it a pain for smokers? Sure, it can be... But, I have a feeling that the dollar is going to speak here, and choosing to go non-smoking is a carefully researched, thought-out and planned decision which will incur more profits for the company...

So, whether you feel smoking is right or not... Whether you think smokers are killing themselves or killing you... Whether or not smoking makes you sick to your stomach... Whatever pseudo-science EPA-produced thrown-out by the supreme court study you produce... It doesn't matter...

Disney is a private company, and will do what it thinks necessary to increase its profits.
If you don't like it, send a message by not giving them any profits and be sure to let them know WHY you didn't go a second time this year... or, conversely, if you do like the decision, and think that smokers are the spawn of the devil, then upgrade to a better resort knowing that the area you stay in and the air you breath will be cleaner and safer... and be sure to let Disney know that you are maybe spending an extra day at Disney because you know that they are looking after your health and well-being...
There is simply no need for the vitriol that every single smoking thread on this board produces. If you smoke, then enjoy the relaxation you get when you take the first puff, I did for several years at almost a pack a day. If you don't smoke, rest easily knowing that your favorite vacation destination just became a bit more accomodating for your desires.
But this is the land of the free, if somebody wants to smoke, then that is their right, as long as they follow the established rules of the location they choose to attend.

Sherrybaby

BRAVO! Mind if I join you? :)

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I sure hope I can still bring my crack pipe with me to the resorts :lookaroun

Scar Junior

I sure hope I can still bring my crack pipe with me to the resorts :lookaroun

:lol: Perfect timing. You always know what to say. Hopefully I can transfer my addiction from nicotine to MKTine. Then again, chances are one of Kyle's friends would probably conduct a sponsored "study" that says you're bad for my health too.

Oh Kyle, you know I'm only half serious about not trusting you scientists. Its just that you guys are so often contradicting each other... and so often the studies have vested interests. Two of my favorite: "Eggs are bad, wait... their good." Oh, and, "1 in 4 children are sexually solicited on the internet."

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
What are they going to do with the WL fireplace now???

Oh and what about Illuminations and Fantasmic, thats like 1000 a day habit

ToTBellHop

What are they going to do with the WL fireplace now???

Oh and what about Illuminations and Fantasmic, thats like 1000 a day habit
hahah...I had to recall British colloquialisms...looked a little weird at first read-through...

Perhaps World Showcase Lagoon is a designated smoking area? I dunno about the Hollywood Hills Amphitheatre, though...you definitely can't smoke in the seating area...

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
hahah...I had to recall British colloquialisms...looked a little weird at first read-through...

:) I shall use the Geordie (North east of England) term from now on to save confusion. Tab = cigarette.

What would be made of my Viz t-shirt " Smoke Drink Beer" :wave: :lookaroun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom