Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Figment82

I agree, GKTW as a wonderful charity to run for - I ran the WDW Half this past January on their behalf. However - they started taking an interest list for W&D, Marathon Weekend, and Princess a few weeks ago, and I’ve heard their waitlist for Dopey is full. The other distances might still have availability.

Figment82

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member

FerretAfros

Someone said they logged in from their phone at 12:30, while in a car, and were directed immediately to the site. This queue randomizer is absolute garbage. I am so sorry to anybody who didn’t get the races they were looking for. What a cluster…
I registered for Dopey through the early registration link for the perfect group last week, but had to get my family registered today. I opened my first browser window just before 9:45am, but the first window to make it through the virtual queue was one that I opened around 12:50pm; it didn't get me in until around 1:30. It makes no sense that the window that was opened 3+ hours later was the first one to make it to the front of the virtual queue; this only encourages people to use multiple windows, which further stresses Disney's shaky servers.

By the time I finally got through, the events I was trying to get had all filled up already, with the remaining ones filling up as I was checking to see if they wanted to do those instead. None of my family was able to get registered for anything. I understand why they don't allow you to register for other people during the early registration period because people would abuse it, but I'm now stuck in a really awkward situation where I'm in but the others aren't, all because their IT system is hot garbage. With runDisney, it's like every time they try to do something it's their first time; they never seem to learn from their past errors.

I've been around long enough to remember how glitchy registration was when they used the Active servers. As troublesome as that could be, today's registration was far worse than anything back then. I've emailed and called them, but I'm honestly not expecting them to do anything; Disney is hardly the world-class organization they claim to be.

EDIT: I would be a lot more sympathetic if this were some small, inexperienced, inexpensive local event, rather than one of the biggest (if not the biggest) running events in the country in its 30th year. A big city like Los Angeles or Miami could never get away with organization this bad (the problems and headaches extend far beyond registration), let alone one of the Majors like Boston or Chicago. This is yet another textbook example of Disney charging more while providing less, and getting away with it simply because of the value of the Disney name.

Last edited:

MrsPrice96

In the Parks
No
Does anyone know how I move the registration for those I signed up for in my family? I want it to be added to their accounts. Thanks
I ended up having to sign up daughter and son since they had waits well over an hour

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
For everyone who survived the cluster that was registration this morning, here's your medal.

FB_IMG_1650405070816.jpg

Figment82

6.6%.

And all races, including the Castaway Challenge, are now sold out.

Absolutely insane. I want to say the 2021 races (which were capped much lower, and eventually didn’t happen) took longer to sell out than today. I wonder if we’ll see more registrations trickle through over time, or if that was literally it.

Greenlawler

I am finding it hard to believe all these races sold out today.

Am I crazy to think the demand is so much?

I mean they have to be holding back something based on all the numbers of the past. Heck at the peak of runDisney no Marathon Weekend races, especially Goofy or the full sold out so fast. They have to be limiting it. I can somewhat understand the 5k and 10k selling out so fast. But historically the other races did not sell out this fast.

Vegas Disney Fan

I mean they have to be holding back something based on all the numbers of the past. Heck at the peak of runDisney no Marathon Weekend races, especially Goofy or the full sold out so fast. They have to be limiting it. I can somewhat understand the 5k and 10k selling out so fast. But historically the other races did not sell out this fast.
I think they really did sell out that fast, and for the same reason the parks have been packed… after the last 2 years there’s a ton of pent up demand for everything travel related.

I think it’s just another sign peoples lives are returning to normal and they feel comfortable going out and having fun again.

Having said that I hope I’m wrong and they release more, I have quite a few friends who missed out today and weren’t able to get into anything they wanted.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

It's also the 30th anniversary during WDW's 50th.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member

I hope you’re right! I’m sure it will open up briefly at least a time or two, (but there will be a lot more competition for those now that there’s a Twitter tracker out there that will send alerts to everyone whenever it opens). I kind of doubt they released any less than usual today, I think we all would have gotten what we wanted if it opened on time, but opening three hours late captured all the go getters from the early period, plus the ones that would have checked later, plus those that would have forgotten if not for all the social media outcry, plus all the FOMO purchases from folks on the fence witnessing the social media outcry and figuring they need to get in the frenzy.

I think the above factors, combined with the first really, really popular theme in a few years, created an unusual spike in demand. So, what we ended up with was way more than usual people trying for spots at the same time.

Rteetz

There is no way they sold these races at pre-pandemic numbers. There is a cap for sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom