Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Rteetz

2018 was an anniversary year. You had numbers over 20,000 for both the half and full. Dopey had over 7,000 finishers. I don't believe the full or even goofy sold out same day. If they did it was hours later. Everything sold out in just over an hour. Demand was high no doubt but over 20,000 in an hour? I find it hard to believe. Also even Castaway Cay sold out in roughly 1.5 hours. That usually took months. You have to have the cruise booked in order to register for that. I truly believe they are keeping a cap on these races.

pdude81

2018 was an anniversary year. You had numbers over 20,000 for both the half and full. Dopey had over 7,000 finishers. I don't believe the full or even goofy sold out same day. If they did it was hours later. Everything sold out in just over an hour. Demand was high no doubt but over 20,000 in an hour? I find it hard to believe. Also even Castaway Cay sold out in roughly 1.5 hours. That usually took months. You have to have the cruise booked in order to register for that. I truly believe they are keeping a cap on these races.
Hopefully just for now so they don't get caught in a covid wave like this January

Greenlawler

This is my opinion as well.

I still think they are limiting the sale.

The 2018 anniversary year was a brief rebound from numbers that were trending downward.

Last edited:

Figment82

For anyone looking for a charity bib, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society/Team in Training will be opening their registration tomorrow, April 21st at 2:00pm ET.

FYI - You are able to get a bib-only registration for the single distance events (I believe it’s a $1600 minimum fundraising amount regardless of the distance), but you *must* book a hotel and bib package with them for Goofy and Dopey. I hope this helps, and good luck if you go for it!

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
For anyone looking for a charity bib, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society/Team in Training will be opening their registration tomorrow, April 21st at 2:00pm ET.

FYI - You are able to get a bib-only registration for the single distance events (I believe it’s a $1600 minimum fundraising amount regardless of the distance), but you *must* book a hotel and bib package with them for Goofy and Dopey. I hope this helps, and good luck if you go for it!

Wow, $8000 for Dopey! That may be a little out of budget for me 😁. Thanks for the suggestion though, that is a great charity!

Surferboy567

Is this new?

“When registration opens, this page will refresh and you will be placed in our virtual queue in random order, regardless of how early you joined this page. Those who enter after booking begins will be placed in numerical order”.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Is this new?

“When registration opens, this page will refresh and you will be placed in our virtual queue in random order, regardless of how early you joined this page. Those who enter after booking begins will be placed in numerical order”.
I GUARANTEE you (remember I know nothing so just speculation) that after the fiasco for in-person registration this verbiage has been added

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I think we've proven enough times now - just on here - that it does NO GOOD - to be into the registration queue prior to it opening at 10am.
hypothesis proven:

Is this new?

evenstephan

I GUARANTEE you (remember I know nothing so just speculation) that after the fiasco for in-person registration this verbiage has been added
I noticed the same verbiage in the QueueIt page for the Cosmic Rewind DVC preview, then did an internet search. QueueIt seemingly addressed it a couple of years ago (see https://support.queue-it.com/hc/en-...hen-I-arrive-before-the-queue-is-open-active-), but I've never seen it before on any sort of RunDisney communication. In retrospect, it explains a lot. I think it should have been explicitly explained, though.

evenstephan

Doesn’t this suggest that the best strategy is to have the registration page up and have it open in several browsers?
It does. I mention my strategy in my comment above, but what's crucial is to get different QueueIt queue IDs. If you open multiple windows in one browser type, you'll just get the same ID over and over. If you open the queue in different browser types or in different configurations (regular vs. private/incognito), you'll get different IDs and different queue positions when randomly sorted. I had regular windows opened in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, as well as private windows in all three. This gave me six spots from one computer. I did the same on my laptop, so thus had another six. I suppose that I could have downloaded some other browser types and had even more spots had I wished.

RememberWhen

It does. I mention my strategy in my comment above, but what's crucial is to get different QueueIt queue IDs. If you open multiple windows in one browser type, you'll just get the same ID over and over. If you open the queue in different browser types or in different configurations (regular vs. private/incognito), you'll get different IDs and different queue positions when randomly sorted. I had regular windows opened in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, as well as private windows in all three. This gave me six spots from one computer. I did the same on my laptop, so thus had another six. I suppose that I could have downloaded some other browser types and had even more spots had I wished.
Does this put stress on the Disney servers (I am not a tech person, so I genuinely don’t know if that’s a stupid question)?
I used that strategy for registering for Moonlight Magic recently. One window had 10,000+ people ahead of me. One had 141. You can guess which I used.

evenstephan

Does this put stress on the Disney servers (I am not a tech person, so I genuinely don’t know if that’s a stupid question)?
I used that strategy for registering for Moonlight Magic recently. One window had 10,000+ people ahead of me. One had 141. You can guess which I used.
I see that an earlier message of mine is still waiting admin approval (probably because I quoted something from the QueueIt web site), so my comment to which you replied probably was too brief and vague. To put it briefly, RunDisney uses QueueIt to manage their queues and Haku Sports to process their registrations. Disney used QueueIt for the Guardians DVC preview last week, and in it was an explanation that anyone in the queue before opening would be sorted randomly upon opening. It's apparently their standard procedure, but I've never seen RunDisney acknowledge this. It makes so much sense of past registrations, though.

To answer your question, it does add a little bit of stress, but to QueueIt, and not to the registration process. I think it's best to think of QueueIt as a gatekeeper that's holding the hoards back. It's their responsibility to buy enough processing power to manage the queue expected, and they did a good job in this case. They seem to do the same for a lot of online queues, so I imagine they've carved out quite a niche for themselves, and really make pains not to screw things up. I would imagine it's not too data intensive, as what they seem to do is assign IDs to various browser configurations, hold them, then let them through the gates in a particular order. If a person were to have multiple queue IDs, there would be more browser instances, but as they're pretty much just counting and sorting, I don't think the strain is too much. In the case of those who are on the queue page before the doors are opened, they're randomized. Everybody who comes along afterwards are just sent to the back of the line. The registration servers would thus not be overwhelmed and crashed by thousands of people trying to get in all at once). It'll be set up to handle a particular number at a time, and will constantly be sending a message through to QueueIt to let through xxx number of more registrants.

I wondered if the delay this past Tuesday was due to server/processing power bought not by QueueIt to manage the line, but by Haku to process registrations. If either they or RunDisney didn't book this through AWS or another service provider, they wouldn't be able to process the thousands of registrations that they had per minute. It would also explain why they managed to fix it in a couple of hours - if this had been overlooked, it's not terribly complicated to buy some processing/server power, but it would take a little bit of time to configure everything correct. Total speculation on my part; it may have been that RunDisney limited capacity. We'll only know if and when they open registration and/or we see the numbers after the races are run next January.

RememberWhen

I see that an earlier message of mine is still waiting admin approval (probably because I quoted something from the QueueIt web site), so my comment to which you replied probably was too brief and vague. To put it briefly, RunDisney uses QueueIt to manage their queues and Haku Sports to process their registrations. Disney used QueueIt for the Guardians DVC preview last week, and in it was an explanation that anyone in the queue before opening would be sorted randomly upon opening. It's apparently their standard procedure, but I've never seen RunDisney acknowledge this. It makes so much sense of past registrations, though.

To answer your question, it does add a little bit of stress, but to QueueIt, and not to the registration process. I think it's best to think of QueueIt as a gatekeeper that's holding the hoards back. It's their responsibility to buy enough processing power to manage the queue expected, and they did a good job in this case. They seem to do the same for a lot of online queues, so I imagine they've carved out quite a niche for themselves, and really make pains not to screw things up. I would imagine it's not too data intensive, as what they seem to do is assign IDs to various browser configurations, hold them, then let them through the gates in a particular order. If a person were to have multiple queue IDs, there would be more browser instances, but as they're pretty much just counting and sorting, I don't think the strain is too much. In the case of those who are on the queue page before the doors are opened, they're randomized. Everybody who comes along afterwards are just sent to the back of the line. The registration servers would thus not be overwhelmed and crashed by thousands of people trying to get in all at once). It'll be set up to handle a particular number at a time, and will constantly be sending a message through to QueueIt to let through xxx number of more registrants.

I wondered if the delay this past Tuesday was due to server/processing power bought not by QueueIt to manage the line, but by Haku to process registrations. If either they or RunDisney didn't book this through AWS or another service provider, they wouldn't be able to process the thousands of registrations that they had per minute. It would also explain why they managed to fix it in a couple of hours - if this had been overlooked, it's not terribly complicated to buy some processing/server power, but it would take a little bit of time to configure everything correct. Total speculation on my part; it may have been that RunDisney limited capacity. We'll only know if and when they open registration and/or we see the numbers after the races are run next January.
Thanks for that awesome and really helpful explanation. I had a bit of guilt about having multiple browsers open, but it sounds like that’s a reasonable thing to do and what I’ll be doing in the future for registrations.

pdude81

It's interesting that none of the virtual events have sold out yet even though they have in the past. Springtime went quickly IIRC for virtual and the W&D 5K is currently sold out. I hope they are waiting on some more information to drop registration slots later and letting people who might be on the fence just sign up for virtual in the meantime. I don't think Dopey or the Marathon sold out for a month last year. And based on the finisher count it seems like they may have slightly reduced the total number of slots in the marathon for 2022.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom