Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Ariel484

Thumbs down on the lottery idea...mostly because 1. I'm one of those crazies that signs up right when registration opens (or the week before with the Disney Visa discount :D), so I don't want to not get picked, and 2. Because for 2015 I'm planning on renting points right at the 11-month mark...so if I rent points and don't get picked from the lottery I'm stuck with a room for that weekend even if I won't be running.

So yeah...ME ME ME!

imagination30

I agree with yoyu , i think the lottery would be sinceless , bc of the fact , you have people who do the race for fun and the enjoyment of being at disney.
and i think the lottery would be like they have for Ncaa final four ... a hard ticket to get in. so why not stick to a better option .. , bc if your not a elite athelete the lottery system, would deter alot of revenue for disney at marthon time , bc of the enjoyement of the first time racer.. or what not!....

Kristia

I don't think that they are really at the point that they need a lottery. Most of the races don't sell out within hours and people usually have plenty of time to sign up (except for the inaugural races and challenges). People just have to be on the ball with signing up and decide well beforehand if they are really up for the challenge. If fill percentages get high don't whine and complain that you weren't able to get in. Of course, not talking about anyone here just all those whiners on the RD facebook page.

I have only been part of a race lottery once for the Broad Street Run this year. It was the first year they had a lottery due to it selling out within 3 hours last year and server crash issues. The lottery made a lot of people mad, but I think it deterred many people from entering the lottery which made my odds better! I only heard of a few people not getting an entry.

Another race I run every year, Spring Lake 5 miler, sells out within an hour or two every year. You just have to be prepared to sit on the computer as soon as registration opens. Its not rocket science. Yes it can be a pain but if you are serious about running, sometimes you have to be serious about registering too if it is a popular race.

Katherine

Thumbs down on the lottery idea...mostly because 1. I'm one of those crazies that signs up right when registration opens (or the week before with the Disney Visa discount :D), so I don't want to not get picked, and 2. Because for 2015 I'm planning on renting points right at the 11-month mark...so if I rent points and don't get picked from the lottery I'm stuck with a room for that weekend even if I won't be running.

So yeah...ME ME ME!

Yeah, I guess this is the biggest con to a lottery since Disney knows people will start planning their vacation around the event before even signing up for it. Unless things start selling out faster, I like the system they have. I think it would have to get much much worse for the system to change (like actually completely breaking the runDisney site).

Entering my first lottery for the Nike Women's Marathon here in SF and I don't really like that I can't just "seize the day" and get my spot because I signed up early.

Banzai

Kristia makes good points. I think a lottery would fundamentally change the character of the races and give them more of a "competition flavor." That doesn't really suit a Disney event.

Ariel484

Marathon - 75% full
Goofy - 74% full

One week from today is the last chance to sign up before the first price increase! Do we think these races are going to sell out by then??

Sumrdog

Marathon - 75% full
Goofy - 74% full

One week from today is the last chance to sign up before the first price increase! Do we think these races are going to sell out by then??

I hope not :( I am still trying to convince someone to run the marathon with me...For some reason just the word marathon seems to turn most people off; that's before I have even told them how many miles one is.

At least I will have my husband and kids to cheer me on this time...I didn't have anyone at the PHM except my poor, directionally challenged sister who never made it to any of the spots to watch me run by.

But if we are taking bets, I am going to guess that it won't sell out for at least another month, it seems to have really slowed down.

tink65

I am really looking at the WDW Marathon in Jan 2014 as my first marathon. I just can't seem to get up the nerve to register! I looked today and saw that it was 75% full. I don't want to wait too late! I told my Dad late last year that I wanted to do a marathon. Every time I saw him after I mentioned that to him he would ask me if I had started training yet.....My Dad passed away in February and I keep thinking I can do it for him! Sometimes I let my nerves get the best of me though!

Katherine

I am really looking at the WDW Marathon in Jan 2014 as my first marathon. I just can't seem to get up the nerve to register! I looked today and saw that it was 75% full. I don't want to wait too late! I told my Dad late last year that I wanted to do a marathon. Every time I saw him after I mentioned that to him he would ask me if I had started training yet.....My Dad passed away in February and I keep thinking I can do it for him! Sometimes I let my nerves get the best of me though!
Just go for it! This marathon was my first race back in 2011 and there is no better place than Disney to run a race! Run it for your dad and yourself!

Sumrdog

I agree with @Katherine. Disney is a really supportive environment for first timers. I think you should just go for it! You have 7 months to get all trained.

Kristia

I say go for it! Don't overthink it and just take the plunge! I was reckless and signed up for the marathon before doing any other races. You still have a lot of time to train and I also agree with everyone here...Disney is a great place for your first marathon. There are so many distractions on the course, it makes it easier to forget about all the miles since you are busy taking everything in. It is by no means easy, but it is attainable! I had never run more than a mile when I started training, so if I can do it anyone can do it!

Texas84

It's a great first marathon. Runners are great, volunteers are great, and the runDisney infrastructure is great. I feel totally safe and supported at these events.

imagination30

208 days ;), marathon is 75% and goofy at 74% and this weekend im doing mountian runs .. oh what fun... dreaming of disney and that bling as i cross the finish line!:)

Sumrdog

So how does that work?...Someone runs the race wearing your wife's bib and the results are listed under her name?
I am not interested in buying, merely curious. I have not heard if this kind of thing. It's too bad they won't just give you a refund or allow a transfer. My daughter really wants to do the 5K but I know she wants to do it wearing her own name with her own official finish time and bib...I mean that's part of the fun. :)

Ariel484

Ariel, I just found out about the transfer option which I wasn't aware of before. I've sent an email to runDisney to see if that is a viable option for my family and me.
Good luck! I hope something works out for you...and hopefully some day Disney will have their own approved way to transfer bibs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom