Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

DisneyJoe

Thanks! Any idea when 2014 rates will be available? I keep getting the "late summer" response from places and would like to know a little more concrete date/month if possible. I want to mark it on my calendar, but also want to be sure to book a dinner at BOG since I missed it in Feb!

Historically it was August, the last 2? years it was June. So I'd say between June and August for 2014 WDW rates to be released. Disneyland 2014 rates aren't usually out until September!

Hannah1284

Historically it was August, the last 2? years it was June. So I'd say between June and August for 2014 WDW rates to be released. Disneyland 2014 rates aren't usually out until September!

Was August before they implemented the 6 months ADR rule? June makes more sense for that reason alone.. I'm antsy, can't wait to book. Maybe I'll just do the rundisney.com booking and then cancel/change when new rates come out...

DisneyJoe

Was August before they implemented the 6 months ADR rule? June makes more sense for that reason alone.. I'm antsy, can't wait to book. Maybe I'll just do the rundisney.com booking and then cancel/change when new rates come out...

180 days came in 2009. we've only had pricing in June in 2011 and 2012 I believe.

Kristia

Galloway's Dopey plan...

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwos/pdf/rundisney/training-programs/2014/DopeyChallenge14.pdf

I used a Galloway plan way back when to train for my first half but I can't say I'm a fan anymore...this one doesn't seem like enough to get Dopey-ready, in my opinion. Thoughts?
The mileage might be enough if you plan to do a lot of walking during the race. I know his plans are supposed to be about reducing the risk of injury by walking some of your distance miles but geez....that plan is a ton of walking! I think that is what I didn't like about the Goofy plan we did last year. We did follow it but the walk before the long run took so long and was so boring. Especially a 12 mile walk! :eek: Another thing that I don't like about this plan is that it seems that the step back weeks are really a step back. During the first 15 weeks, as you are adding miles every other week, the "off" weeks step you back to 3 miles as your long run. Really? If you can run a long run of 9-15 miles every other week, do you really need to step back to 3 miles on the rest week? On my step back weeks, I don't think we ran less than 6 miles.

Ariel484

The mileage might be enough if you plan to do a lot of walking during the race. I know his plans are supposed to be about reducing the risk of injury by walking some of your distance miles but geez....that plan is a ton of walking! I think that is what I didn't like about the Goofy plan we did last year. We did follow it but the walk before the long run took so long and was so boring. Especially a 12 mile walk! :eek: Another thing that I don't like about this plan is that it seems that the step back weeks are really a step back. During the first 15 weeks, as you are adding miles every other week, the "off" weeks step you back to 3 miles as your long run. Really? If you can run a long run of 9-15 miles every other week, do you really need to step back to 3 miles on the rest week? On my step back weeks, I don't think we ran less than 6 miles.
I'm with you on the step-back weeks. I know it's supposed to be about resting so that you can get ready for the next increase in mileage...but that's such a huge drop! And the loooooong walks would drive me crazy.

Overall I personally don't prefer plans structured like this, with (for the most part) 2 shorter runs during the week and then crazy-long runs on the weekends. There are other 3-day-a-week plans that I think balance out the weekly mileage a little bit better (I think maybe @dreamfinder uses one?). Combined with the super-short stepback weeks it's just not my cup of tea. I totally get why they are appealing though - less intimidating overall and easier to fit in to peoples' weekly schedules.

dreamfinder

There are other 3-day-a-week plans that I think balance out the weekly mileage a little bit better (I think maybe @dreamfinder uses one?). Combined with the super-short stepback weeks it's just not my cup of tea. I totally get why they are appealing though - less intimidating overall and easier to fit in to peoples' weekly schedules.

I'm trying to roughly follow the plans from the "Run Less, Run Faster" book. 2 days of cross training, a speed work day, a tempo day, and an LSD day basically. All I really did was swap one of my own speed work days, for a second day of cross training. There are definitely days where I wonder if I'm running enough as I just want to do more. But I'm trying to save what is left of my knees, so a 3 day plan it is. The mileage is pretty consistent, adding maybe 2-3 a week, never stepping back more than 5 IIRC when the speed goes up. The funny thing about the "lighter" cross train days, they take me more time than some of the running days.....

The key is to find a plan that you think is achievable, and that you can stick to. Galloway definitely works for some people, and I guess if you trained using his stuff for Goofy, then adding on a slow 5k/10k isn't terrible. It does seem a bit light however. At least he put in a disclaimer that you should already have been running for at least 6 months.

LindsayLoves

With the Dopey plan who in there right mind is going to have time for all the running the week before Christmas?

I used Galloway's plan to train for the Disney marathon last year and I really liked it (just the dates and long training runs, I am by no means a run/walker). I am a fan of the three days a week training because right off the bat it isn't overwhelming. I didn't mind the big step back on the non-long run weeks, again in my mind making it more manageable/achievable. The thing I am not a fan of is when there are runs over 22 miles, not totally needed for someone who just wants to cross the finish line in 7 hours or less.

Texas84

Galloway's Dopey plan...

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwos/pdf/rundisney/training-programs/2014/DopeyChallenge14.pdf

I used a Galloway plan way back when to train for my first half but I can't say I'm a fan anymore...this one doesn't seem like enough to get Dopey-ready, in my opinion. Thoughts?

Yeah, a 10-mile walk? That's not happening. Just thinking about it but maybe I'll jog 3 miles Saturday then do the long run Sunday at training pace. I'll post my modified Galloway plan later and you all can pick it apart. :) But I think for Dumbo I'll just do the normal half plan and maybe jog out the 10K then run the half.

The thing I am not a fan of is when there are runs over 22 miles, not totally needed for someone who just wants to cross the finish line in 7 hours or less.

Totally agree. I max out at 20 during training.

Ariel484

I'm trying to roughly follow the plans from the "Run Less, Run Faster" book. 2 days of cross training, a speed work day, a tempo day, and an LSD day basically. All I really did was swap one of my own speed work days, for a second day of cross training. There are definitely days where I wonder if I'm running enough as I just want to do more. But I'm trying to save what is left of my knees, so a 3 day plan it is. The mileage is pretty consistent, adding maybe 2-3 a week, never stepping back more than 5 IIRC when the speed goes up. The funny thing about the "lighter" cross train days, they take me more time than some of the running days.....

The key is to find a plan that you think is achievable, and that you can stick to. Galloway definitely works for some people, and I guess if you trained using his stuff for Goofy, then adding on a slow 5k/10k isn't terrible. It does seem a bit light however. At least he put in a disclaimer that you should already have been running for at least 6 months.
I thought that was what you were using. I keep debating over whether or not I want to try it but the paces (especially the long run paces) scare me!

Agree with what you said above (bolded) - I may not like Galloway plans anymore but that doesn't mean they aren't the right choice for someone else. And yeah, love the disclaimer.
With the Dopey plan who in there right mind is going to have time for all the running the week before Christmas?

I used Galloway's plan to train for the Disney marathon last year and I really liked it (just the dates and long training runs, I am by no means a run/walker). I am a fan of the three days a week training because right off the bat it isn't overwhelming. I didn't mind the big step back on the non-long run weeks, again in my mind making it more manageable/achievable. The thing I am not a fan of is when there are runs over 22 miles, not totally needed for someone who just wants to cross the finish line in 7 hours or less.
I totally didn't realize that about the week before Christmas...yowza!
Yeah, a 10-mile walk? That's not happening. Just thinking about it but maybe I'll jog 3 miles Saturday then do the long run Sunday at training pace. I'll post my modified Galloway plan later and you all can pick it apart. :) But I think for Dumbo I'll just do the normal half plan and maybe jog out the 10K then run the half.
The long walks would be the end of me. I honestly think I'd quit just because I wouldn't want to be out there for so long. Looking forward to picking apart your plan! (Just kidding...:D)
Totally agree. I max out at 20 during training.
I really can't wrap my head around those super-long runs. I know some people like it because they want to know that they can finish the distance before race day, but still...yikes! :eek:

dreamfinder

I'll post the plan separately but I had another thought: I hope they bring back the morning loop through Epcot. It's so peaceful. I thought the ESPN maze from hell would never end.

It would be nice, but pretty much guaranteed not to happen. I recall reading an interview with RunDisney that said they would keep the 20th course. And I speculated earlier (maybe in this thread) on how that change would let them add another 5-7 corrals and still get everyone clear of the MK before the park opens to help alleviate some of the on course crowding. Sadly, we can't have it both ways unless they decide to cut like 5,000 from the registration numbers, and I can't see that ever happening.

Ariel484

I think I read the same article that @dreamfinder is talking about...the 20th course will be back next year at least. BOO!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe this has been discussed already, but these pictures on the runDisney Facebook page make it seem like the 2014 5K will be Pluto-themed, yes? I'll be curious to see if the 5K is Pluto-themed from now on with the 10K being Minnie-themed. And poor Daisy gets left out in the cold for Marathon Weekend.

Texas84

It would be nice, but pretty much guaranteed not to happen. I recall reading an interview with RunDisney that said they would keep the 20th course. And I speculated earlier (maybe in this thread) on how that change would let them add another 5-7 corrals and still get everyone clear of the MK before the park opens to help alleviate some of the on course crowding. Sadly, we can't have it both ways unless they decide to cut like 5,000 from the registration numbers, and I can't see that ever happening.

Clearing MK actually makes sense. Oh well.

LindsayLoves

I'll post the plan separately but I had another thought: I hope they bring back the morning loop through Epcot. It's so peaceful. I thought the ESPN maze from hell would never end.

I am with you on that one. Running on the sidewalk was murder on my IT bands, hell that would never end indeed.

Ariel484

So today I ran a 10-mile race and got a new PR...and I have to admit that part of the motivation for wanting to PR (besides, you know, just wanting to know that I improved) was to get a better time to submit to Disney for the Dopey Challenge in 2015. :D

Just thought I'd share that with people that understand. It's a sickness, this runDisney addiction...

Kristia

So today I ran a 10-mile race and got a new PR...and I have to admit that part of the motivation for wanting to PR (besides, you know, just wanting to know that I improved) was to get a better time to submit to Disney for the Dopey Challenge in 2015. :D

Just thought I'd share that with people that understand. It's a sickness, this runDisney addiction...
Good job! I have a 10 mile race next weekend!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom