Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Kristia

Another distance-running newbie! I've been running 5K two or three times a week pretty consistently for about a year, and I'm registered for the half-marathon. I have my resort reservations and theme park passes through one of the tour operators on the runDisney site (WAY cheaper than Disney Sports). I made a training plan based on Hal Higdon's Half-Marathon Novice 1 plan, but stretching it out so it is 20 weeks instead of 12, so I officially start training August 26. I have a little bit of a wonky knee so I know I have to be careful about stretching and strengthening. I usually do Zumba for my cross-training, but I know my knee won't tolerate that once I start increasing my weekly distance, so I'm trying out some water and pilates classes at my fitness center to do instead. The area I run is very flat, so I know I'll need do some inclines on a treadmill when time gets closer to be ready for the overpasses. Anything else I need to worry about this far out? Have fun! Oh yea! Can't forget that!
Welcome to the running subforum! I don't have a lot to add but make sure you bring a camera for character photo ops!

ChristaH

Thank you for the very nice welcome. @Ariel484, I checked Higdon's site and didn't see a Supreme Novice plan for the half-marathon...only for a full. I had two of my better 3 mile runs this weekend and felt very comfortable. I think I'll be ready to start increasing distance when my training plan officially starts. I spent a lot of time yesterday on the subforum just reading all of the info and tips. It's a little overwhelming, but really good stuff! I'm sure I'll have several questions :)

ChristaH

Now that I look at it closer, Ariel, I could do weeks 2 - 19 of the Supreme Novice marathon plan and it would put me right where I need to be before tapering for two weeks. I like the step back weeks in that plan, especially near the end. I think the one I had might have been pushing it for me. It was 10 - 12 miles every weekend for six weeks before tapering.

JillC LI

Now that I look at it closer, Ariel, I could do weeks 2 - 19 of the Supreme Novice marathon plan and it would put me right where I need to be before tapering for two weeks. I like the step back weeks in that plan, especially near the end. I think the one I had might have been pushing it for me. It was 10 - 12 miles every weekend for six weeks before tapering.

I like the step back plans myself and have either followed them or created my own for many years now when preparing for a race. I think it's important to let your body recover before increasing mileage. Mentally it works for me too.

Banzai

Another distance-running newbie!
Welcome to our little corner of the cyber-world. Glad to have an extra smiley face in the crowd. I'm pretty sure we ALL took notice of teh comment about tour operators. Thx for the tip

Ariel484

Wow, when did the marathon sell out?! I guess I shouldn't be surprised since the first price increase is coming up.

Goofy - 92%
Kids races - 51%
Pasta Party - 51%

imagination30

153 days!!!!, I can just taste a dole whip .. Proof of time sent in the other day.. now just for mother nature to quite , with this wet stuff so I can train out side..

LindsayLoves

I KNOW. I'm just trying to tell myself to hold out for the 10th anniversary medal in 2015...:banghead:
I am trying to work out my race plan for 2014/early 2015 right now. I need to figure out when I can take vacation that will A. involve a race B. will not get in the way of training for a race.

Must resist Goofy. Must save money...
so so so tempting. In my mind I am telling myself that I could totally train for that starting now but I am trying to hold out until 2015 for the anniversary like Shannon.

Lisatn

I'm just wondering if anyone else has booked park tickets along with hotel reservations through RunDisney? I booked the hotel a few weeks ago but waited until today to by park tickets. My parents and son are coming with me and will want 3 days in the park, whereas I will probably only want 1-2 depending on how I feel. When I called to link the tickets to my current reservation I was told that everyone in the party had to have the same kind of ticket this year. Its pure madness. There is no way I will want to spend as much time in the parks as I'm racing Doopey compared to my family who are there to support me. Has anyone found a way around this problem?

ChristaH

Take your name off the room completely and get tickets with the room for your family. Buy your own park pass at the ticket window when you get there.

I booked my room and tickets through Marathon Tours. The room at POFQ was $60 per night cheaper than through Disney. Five-day park hoppers were $70 each less than through Disney. With five people in two rooms, we saved over $700 and we had flexibility to get whatever we wanted for whoever wanted it. The down side is if they come out with free dining during that time, we could not get that. But I have heard it will more likely be adult dining for the price of kids. Not free.

Kristia

I'm just wondering if anyone else has booked park tickets along with hotel reservations through RunDisney? I booked the hotel a few weeks ago but waited until today to by park tickets. My parents and son are coming with me and will want 3 days in the park, whereas I will probably only want 1-2 depending on how I feel. When I called to link the tickets to my current reservation I was told that everyone in the party had to have the same kind of ticket this year. Its pure madness. There is no way I will want to spend as much time in the parks as I'm racing Doopey compared to my family who are there to support me. Has anyone found a way around this problem?
Maybe get your tickets through someplace like undercovertourist.com? A lot of people get tix through them. They are reputable and we used them in the past. They give you a small discount as opposed to getting tickets straight through Disney. When bought through them the only inconvenience was that we had a room key and tix separate from each other. It wasn't too bad though. You may even be able to link the tickets to your room key when you check in, but we didn't try to do that so I am not sure if that can be done.

dreamfinder

It depends on how they are selling the tickets/how you are trying to buy them. If you look at the travel options on the RunDisney site, you will notice that they don't have a discounted ticket section for Marathon Weekend. If you look at ToT/W&D you can see
SPECIALLY PRICED THEME PARK TICKETS
As part of the Disney Wine& Dine Half Marathon Weekend, you can save 40% on a 3-Day Theme Park Ticket with Park Hopper*, available only to the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend participants and their family and friends. These specially priced tickets must be ordered in advance on our Online Ticket Store or by calling 407-939-iRun.

Your password to access the Online Ticket Store will be sent to you in your Registration Confirmation email. Tickets must be purchased in advance and will only be valid for a limited period of time before and after the event.
So they most likely either don't have the details worked out yet, or are deciding to not sell discounted theme park tickets/travel packages for Marathon Weekend. I can't recall if they offered discount tickets for last year or not.

The tickets referenced in that snippet above are usually heavily discounted, and need to be used within 2 weeks of the event date, and are not upgradable.

If you called RunDisney directly, gave them your name/reservation info and asked to buy tickets, they would be adding them onto your existing room reservation package. The way RunDisney does their hotel bookings is as packages (even if you only book a room), so any changes to that need to be made for all guests in the room. I would try to call them back, and just ask about discounted tickets for Marathon Weekend. Don't even mention you already have a room booked. They may have not updated the website and will sell them to you, or they may tell you they are only selling the packages.

Take your name off the room completely and get tickets with the room for your family. Buy your own park pass at the ticket window when you get there.

Doing this means that they will not have a KTTW and will not be eligible for DME. They may be able to get themselves added to the room at the resort on checkin and get a KTTW, but DME will be out of the question from MCO to WDW.

I booked my room and tickets through Marathon Tours. The room at POFQ was $60 per night cheaper than through Disney. Five-day park hoppers were $70 each less than through Disney. With five people in two rooms, we saved over $700 and we had flexibility to get whatever we wanted for whoever wanted it. The down side is if they come out with free dining during that time, we could not get that. But I have heard it will more likely be adult dining for the price of kids. Not free.

Sounds like a good price for the room, but unbelievable savings on tickets. That $70 doesn't seem right, as that's well below even Undercover Tourist prices. The only way I can see that is if they are selling the sporting event tickets I mentioned above. Entirely possible, just keep in mind the restrictions if that is the case.

@Lisatn unless RunDisney is offering you a phenomenal discount on those tickets, there is no need to buy as part of your package. (Unless you want the DDP) As @krista said, just buy them from Undercover Tourist and save a few bucks.

Your end options are
1) Adding tickets to RunDisney package - Most likely going to be the same cost as buying them at the gate, and you need to add them for everyone in your party
2) WWoS Sporting Event tickets - If they do add the information, these are usually dirt cheap. Might affect MM+/FP+/NGE/Whatever booking window, but that is still unknown
3) Buy tickets at gate/online/Disney Store/etc - No cost savings. Might affect MM+/FP+/NGE/Whatever booking window, but that is still unknown
4) Buy from 3rd party reseller like Undercover Tourist - Cost savings, can be added to KTTW when you check in. Might affect MM+/FP+/NGE/Whatever booking window, but that is still unknown

Lisatn

Thanks everyone. After I posted I looked a little further into the price of tickets and found that it was cheaper if I bought them myself online on the Disney website than through RunDisney. I'm going to look into Undercover Tourist today.

imagination30

after a long week, I wish it was jan already.. but sadly we have 138 days to go.. can we skip Halloween , and thanksgiving and get right to Christmas!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom