Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

disneyfan1995

The 1/2 marathon is currently at 61%. How long does anyone think it will be until it's full? I'm still debating on whether I can actually do it or not.

dreamfinder

The 1/2 marathon is currently at 61%. How long does anyone think it will be until it's full? I'm still debating on whether I can actually do it or not.

Really hard to say. Below are two snippets of percentage updates from last year. It took what, almost 3 months for the half to hit 57% last year, and we are already past that point a week in. And then looking at the Sept 5th update, the 5k was only 57% full, and this year is sold out. I'd really just suggest to keep watching the updates. When it hits 90%+, that's the time to make the decision.

July 26th 2012
Ariel484 said:
Registration update...

The half is 57% full
The full is 64% full
Goofy is 83% full

Sept 5th 2012
Ariel484 said:
Registration update:

Marathon: 98% full
Half Marathon: 88% full
5K: 57% full
Goofy Challenge: 92% full

Something that I don't think any of us know (and if someone does, please speak up) is whether those percentages include the challenges. So say they are planning on letting a total of 25,000 people run the half. Last year was 7,500 Goofy runners, I think this year it will more something like 5,000 Goofy and 2,500 Dopey. Now does the 61% full account for the Goofy and Dopey slots? IE 61% of 25,000 runners? Or does it just count those separately, IE 61% of 17,500 runners? Personally, I think that the 61% full does account for the Goofy and Dopey runners. Hence the quick bump to 50+% this year. Since Dopey sold out so fast, that 2,500 (or whatever the actual number is, possibly closer to 8,000 if they follow the Dumbo numbers) runners bumped the percentage up faster than it would have been otherwise.

Mad Stitch

I don't think the percentages include the challenges. Shannon’s post on Sept. 10 says the marathon was sold out while the Goofy was at 99%. If they did include the challenges it would be impossible for the marathon to show a sellout while the Goofy was still open.

runningforit

You can do it. You have ample time, starting from any fitness level, to run a half in 9 months.
I went from 5 miles to a my first half in 5 weeks...while I dont recommend that short of a time frame...it did get me past the mental block of running a half. :)

16 min per mile pace should be manageable even if you intend to walk almost the entire thing

Do it.... you know you want to! :)

disneyfan1995

Really hard to say. Below are two snippets of percentage updates from last year. It took what, almost 3 months for the half to hit 57% last year, and we are already past that point a week in. And then looking at the Sept 5th update, the 5k was only 57% full, and this year is sold out. I'd really just suggest to keep watching the updates. When it hits 90%+, that's the time to make the decision.

Thanks!! I appreciate the info! :) I'm trying to test out some runs before I register since I don't want to register and then feel like I won't be able to do it.

You can do it. You have ample time, starting from any fitness level, to run a half in 9 months.
I went from 5 miles to a my first half in 5 weeks...while I dont recommend that short of a time frame...it did get me past the mental block of running a half. :)

16 min per mile pace should be manageable even if you intend to walk almost the entire thing

Do it.... you know you want to! :)

Thanks! :) I'm trying to build up some resistance to running. I can do about 2 miles right now which isn't good. I definitely can hit below a 16 min/mile pace which is great although I do anticipate some character stops really tweaking with my time. I really want to do it, but I'm still mulling it over. I really hope I can! :)

Ariel484

@disneyfan1995 A half marathon is definitely doable if you commit to following a training plan. I think you also want to figure out whether you actually LIKE distance running before signing up. You'll be looking at a max training run of 10-14 miles before the race. Check out the Galloway plans in the training area of runDisney.com to see if you think it's achievable for you. Also keep in mind that you'll be training over the holidays. But if you're at 2 miles now, that's great! You have plenty of time to prepare. :)

imagination30

@disneyfan1995 A half marathon is definitely doable if you commit to following a training plan. I think you also want to figure out whether you actually LIKE distance running before signing up. You'll be looking at a max training run of 10-14 miles before the race. Check out the Galloway plans in the training area of runDisney.com to see if you think it's achievable for you. Also keep in mind that you'll be training over the holidays. But if you're at 2 miles now, that's great! You have plenty of time to prepare. :)
Yes ! .. ^^ this girl knows what shes talking about;) , her and Krista are one of the main reason Im runing my first disney half in jan! ... this two have helped me in so many ways.. , well heck our running Community is like a Family! ... so we will cheer you on .. and give advice.. look for you out on the course!

Kristia

I don't like distance running, but for some reason I'm addicted to it and keep signing up for new races. :p
I have a love/hate relationship with distance running! Hate having to make myself go out to train (getting out the door is more than half the battle), like when I have a great training run, and LOVE going to the races. Love the atmosphere, excitement and the feeling of the finish!

Mr mom

I have a love/hate relationship with distance running! Hate having to make myself go out to train (getting out the door is more than half the battle), like when I have a great training run, and LOVE going to the races. Love the atmosphere, excitement and the feeling of the finish!

I have still not done any races, I guess I best do one, maybe it will re invigorate me as I have been having trouble motivating myself lately. I love the feeling I get when I complete a long run, sort of a yes I did it feeling but that first mile is brutal and I have found lately it takes a few miles to get in my groove and enjoy it. I think it is because work has me burnt out, at least I hope that is all it is. Coming up to a few weeks off, so hopefully that will get me going again.

Kristia

I have still not done any races, I guess I best do one, maybe it will re invigorate me as I have been having trouble motivating myself lately. I love the feeling I get when I complete a long run, sort of a yes I did it feeling but that first mile is brutal and I have found lately it takes a few miles to get in my groove and enjoy it. I think it is because work has me burnt out, at least I hope that is all it is. Coming up to a few weeks off, so hopefully that will get me going again.
I always need a race in the wings to keep me going. I know if I don't, I might start to slack. We are the same way, that first mile is tough and it takes at least a couple to get into it. I think that just makes us distance runners! :)

Mr mom

I always need a race in the wings to keep me going. I know if I don't, I might start to slack. We are the same way, that first mile is tough and it takes at least a couple to get into it. I think that just makes us distance runners! :)

I guess so but up until a few weeks ago motivation was not a problem for me

runningforit

It's the nature of the beast with distance running - you despise it at times and love it at others.

However, I would submit that the "loving it" moments far outweigh the "hating it" moments and that is the reason I (and others) keep running. Fact is - pride and accomplishment last a lot longer than pain! :)

Sumrdog

I am the same way...and if I don't have a race I am working toward I can easily find reasons not to run, between work, kids and keeping my house going.

disneyfan1995

Thanks for the advice!! I do want to commit to a training plan but I don't really think I'm a fan of the distance running. I more want to do this for the overall experience of running at Disney.

Ariel484

Okay, okay, maybe you DON'T have to decide if you like distance running. :p
Thanks for the advice!! I do want to commit to a training plan but I don't really think I'm a fan of the distance running. I more want to do this for the overall experience of running at Disney.
Okay, new suggestion...you really don't need to start training for the half until the fall, so in the meantime find a 10K race in your area, sign up for it and train for that. You'll increase your distance this way and get a time that you can use for corral placement in the half. Like @dreamfinder said earlier, you really need to pull the trigger when the race is 90%+ full. Also keep in mind that the earlier you sign up, the cheaper registration will be (registration price jumps up $15 on June 19).

I think you may as well got for it once. You have plenty of time to get ready, and there really is nothing like running in Disney. :)

Ariel484

Full - 51%, Half - 61%, Goofy - 55%
5K, 10K and Dopey Sold Out

That was 4/15/2013...today, 4/22/2013:

Half Marathon is 71% full
Full Marathon is 54% full
Goofy Challenge is 58% full

So the full and Goofy are creeping up slowly...the half is filling up more quickly.

Hannah1284

For Marathon weekend its all really about your personal preference. They will provide transport too/from every on property resort. The monorail resorts will all have to take the monorail over, the others will all use buses. Currently there are no discounts posted as I don't believe they have even announced the 2014 rack rates yet. So they can't list discounts until the actual prices are released. I'd figure 5-10%, with a slight chance of a larger discount. Usually pretty close to what a AAA discount would be. The major difference being that booking through RunDisney is technically handled as a package, even if you only book the room. So you have the same restrictions as a package (45 day cancellation, pay in advance, etc).

Thanks! Any idea when 2014 rates will be available? I keep getting the "late summer" response from places and would like to know a little more concrete date/month if possible. I want to mark it on my calendar, but also want to be sure to book a dinner at BOG since I missed it in Feb!

disneyfan1995

Okay, okay, maybe you DON'T have to decide if you like distance running. :p

Okay, new suggestion...you really don't need to start training for the half until the fall, so in the meantime find a 10K race in your area, sign up for it and train for that. You'll increase your distance this way and get a time that you can use for corral placement in the half. Like @dreamfinder said earlier, you really need to pull the trigger when the race is 90%+ full. Also keep in mind that the earlier you sign up, the cheaper registration will be (registration price jumps up $15 on June 19).

I think you may as well got for it once. You have plenty of time to get ready, and there really is nothing like running in Disney. :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely look into that! I'm sure running at Disney is incredible. I definitely would love to do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom