Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

GoofyRacer11

Just signed up for the Dopey Challenge! I suspected that the dopey challenge would sell out quickly, but I didn't think it would be this fast. I had to make a quick decision on whether to sign up earlier than I wanted to or wait and miss the opportunity to participate. In the end, nothing is going to stand in my way from being dopey!

dreamfinder

Dopey - 91% and Half - 51%. Maybe by end of the work week for Dopey sellout?

What is the likelihood that they will open up more spots for the 10k? Have they ever done this before?

Really hard to say. When the DLR 10k sold out really fast (along with Dumbo) I don't think they took any names for a waiting list or opened any more spots. But the first ToT 10 Miler, they did have a waiting list, and did indeed add more slots later on. I wouldn't count on it though. Judging by the number of tour operators and charities that were listed on the Marathon weekend website, I'd wager that those groups have 500+ slots themselves. Now if some of the charities/tour groups don't use all their slots, there is a chance the remainders could be put back up, but that doesn't happen til a few weeks before the event.

imagination30

and they posted to day on the run disney site - whcih i didnt see , i guess bc people were complaining .. but it says events may sell out before percentages are updated!

Ariel484

Doubtful on them adding more spots. They have charity spots available for the longer races but I don't think it works that way for the 5Ks and 10Ks.

dreamfinder

Doubtful on them adding more spots. They have charity spots available for the longer races but I don't think it works that way for the 5Ks and 10Ks.

I just spot checked a few of the tour groups and charities, and some do appear to be doing the 5k and 10k distances as well. Some are just the half/full/Goofy/Dopey, but not all. Keep in mind it would require purchasing their travel package, or doing their fundraising.

While looking though, something that worries me a bit is the following
THURSDAY: Dopey Timed 5K & 5K Family Fun Run
- AT Childrens Project
**Please note that Dopey participants will compete in a timed 5K that is separate from the Family Fun Run. Both 5K races will take place on THURSDAY, January 9, 2014**
- Run for our Sons

I can't find anyplace on the official runDisney site that indicates this, so hopefully it was a preliminary plan that was sent to charities, but then scrapped. Otherwise I know at least I will be disappointed in not being able to run with my DW in the 5k.

Ariel484

I just spot checked a few of the tour groups and charities, and some do appear to be doing the 5k and 10k distances as well. Some are just the half/full/Goofy/Dopey, but not all. Keep in mind it would require purchasing their travel package, or doing their fundraising.
I stand corrected! :)

While looking though, something that worries me a bit is the following
- AT Childrens Project
- Run for our Sons

I can't find anyplace on the official runDisney site that indicates this, so hopefully it was a preliminary plan that was sent to charities, but then scrapped. Otherwise I know at least I will be disappointed in not being able to run with my DW in the 5k.
YIKES. I think a lot of people in the same situation you are in would be upset if they did that without notice ahead of time. What a mess that would be.

Texas84

Really wish I could do this but I know my limits, physically and financially. The Double Dumbo took all my money. Planning for 2015 so I can train for a year. Isn't that a Goofy anniversary?

Ariel484

Really wish I could do this but I know my limits, physically and financially. The Double Dumbo took all my money. Planning for 2015 so I can train for a year. Isn't that a Goofy anniversary?
Yep, the 10th! I'm in for that one too. :) (As part of the Dopey Challenge, I mean...if they have the Dopey Challenge again after this year).

I bet Goofy will sell out SUPER quickly next year. I've heard a lot of people saying they're planning on doing it in 2015.

LindsayLoves

Yep, the 10th! I'm in for that one too. :) (As part of the Dopey Challenge, I mean...if they have the Dopey Challenge again after this year).

I bet Goofy will sell out SUPER quickly next year. I've heard a lot of people saying they're planning on doing it in 2015.

I am in for 2015 - it sounds so far away but I need to start pinching pennies for the Goofy/Dopey so that is definitely for the best. Also might be worth it to stay at a monorail hotel to avoid the buses - which worked totally fine for us but a good excuse for an upgrade.

Ariel484

I am in for 2015 - it sounds so far away but I need to start pinching pennies for the Goofy/Dopey so that is definitely for the best. Also might be worth it to stay at a monorail hotel to avoid the buses - which worked totally fine for us but a good excuse for an upgrade.
I REALLY liked staying on the monorail this time. I haven't had transportation issues in past race weekends (Port Orleans Riverside and Beach Club), but still...it was really nice. I might be spoiled now. o_O

Kristia

Seeing that Dopey number slowly climb makes me really want to sign up for it, thankfully they priced it so high that any impulse purchasing is out of the question.
Me too. And all you guys talking about doing it in 2015 is making me want to try for then too, but I don't think it will be possible. Just have to wait till 2016 for me. :(

runningforit

I just signed up for my first full marathon. Disney Marathon 2014!!!

I have been considering the Goofy and Dopey...but I didn't want to jump the shark (to use that term pretty liberally). There are only so many challenges in running and I have run them in order so far. Did a 5k, then a 10k, then a 10 miler and then the Half. Basically, I want to get two fulls in at least before I jump to the goofy. After that, then I will do the Dopey.

So, it seems like there are a lot of people targeting the 2015 Goofy!

Ariel484

Seeing that Dopey number slowly climb makes me really want to sign up for it, thankfully they priced it so high that any impulse purchasing is out of the question.
Me too! o_O I've managed to resist the temptation so far though...
I just signed up for my first full marathon. Disney Marathon 2014!!!

I have been considering the Goofy and Dopey...but I didn't want to jump the shark (to use that term pretty liberally). There are only so many challenges in running and I have run them in order so far. Did a 5k, then a 10k, then a 10 miler and then the Half. Basically, I want to get two fulls in at least before I jump to the goofy. After that, then I will do the Dopey.

So, it seems like there are a lot of people targeting the 2015 Goofy!
I think you're smart to do the full alone first. I've said it here many times, but I think it's important to know that you can physically and mentally make it through both training for and completing the marathon before considering Goofy or Dopey.

Happy running! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom