Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Ariel484

Just doing some napkin math, assume they kept the 5k at the same size, 8,000 runners. Then, what, maybe 12,000 for the 10k? They said 8,000 for the DLR 10k, with 5,000 Dumbo runners. I'd be very surprised if they went that high with the Dopey numbers, as I'd wager 1/3-1/2 would otherwise be going Goofy, and then Goofy would never fill up. I'd think closer to 3,000 Dopey, maybe even as low as 1,000. But if they did go 3,000 then that's 38% of the field right there.
I was thinking about this a little more...I wonder if they'll adjust these numbers in the future so that more 5K- and 10K-only runners will be able to sign up for the races. And by that I mean decrease the number of Dopey slots...I REALLY hope they don't increase the capacity for the 5K. It's crowded enough already.

Of course this could be a product of Dopey being in its inaugural year...will be interesting to see how fast everything fills up next year.

runningforit

Me too! o_O I've managed to resist the temptation so far though...

I think you're smart to do the full alone first. I've said it here many times, but I think it's important to know that you can physically and mentally make it through both training for and completing the marathon before considering Goofy or Dopey.

Happy running! :)

Thanks Ariel - BTW, I see your frequent posts and you always seem to have great comments.

For me, it wasn't so much about not being able to do it. I run alot...
Its more that I love running and I hope to do it my whole life...I wouldn't want to knock out every goal at one time.

Basically, I am trying to spread them out as much as possible so that I keep the new challenges coming. When I finish the Dopey, in a couple years, I don't know what I will target. (Although I have started swimming too so I guess Triathalons are always an option) :)

runningforit

Thanks Ariel - BTW, I see your frequent posts and you always seem to have great comments.

For me, it wasn't so much about not being able to do it. I run alot...
Its more that I love running and I hope to do it my whole life...I wouldn't want to knock out every goal at one time.

Basically, I am trying to spread them out as much as possible so that I keep the new challenges coming. When I finish the Dopey, in a couple years, I don't know what I will target. (Although I have started swimming too so I guess Triathalons are always an option) :)

Consider this a shameless plug on my previous comment - but I posted to my blog on why I chose the Disney as my first Full Marathon... feel free to take a look. :)

http://www.runningforit.com/2013/04/signed-up-for-first-full-marathon.htmlhttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Running-For-It/193257490820213

dreamfinder

I was thinking about this a little more...I wonder if they'll adjust these numbers in the future so that more 5K- and 10K-only runners will be able to sign up for the races. And by that I mean decrease the number of Dopey slots...I REALLY hope they don't increase the capacity for the 5K. It's crowded enough already.

Of course this could be a product of Dopey being in its inaugural year...will be interesting to see how fast everything fills up next year.

I definitely think we will see a shift, either in number or in pricing, but that it will be small. I think I pointed this out before, but officially registering for the Dopey cost no more than signing up for the individual races, but you get the extra shirt and medal. So I can see them bumping that up by $20 (the same way the Goofy costs $20 more than the half and full). But I also don't see them decreasing the number of Dopey slots by many. By shifting the 5k to Thursday! and even by scheduling the 10k for Friday, they are almost saying that they don't want any people to do just those races, but rather are looking for family of Marathoners, or people who are trying to do multiple race in a short time period. Can you think of that many locals that would try to sign up for a Friday AM 10k, and then go to work? Or waste a vacation day on a 10k? So there may be some shift, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they view the 10k almost as a race for the Dopey runners, with a few thousand non Dopeys. Especially after looking at the numbers they allocated for the Dumbo.

I definitely agree that they shouldn't be increasing the 5k. I reserve final judgement until after I see if the seeding this year works better, but 8k is a lot of runners for that course to handle.

Totally shifting tracks, I think the 10k will end up being an almost hybrid of the other existing courses. Starting at the 5k start point, following that to the end of the dirt road, where the 5k turns right to go through the guard shack, but everyone goes left for the half/full. If the runners go left, and then follow some of the old red start, then come in where the full does by the bus stops, go on stage, then head down to world showcase, the counter clockwise loop around the world showcase, then similar to every other finish. I did a rough point to point sketch, and got 6 mi, so making it a smidge more accurate might end up with the 6.2. Mashing a bit of all the races together. But it lets them stay within Epcot, and has minimal effect on external traffic.

imagination30

its baffles me to see all the post on run disney fb and the event page set up by run disney today that most of all of the first time marthoners .. are doing the goofy.. , i said it a few days ago to shannon , and ill say it again.. --- why do you ant to kill your self.. :rolleyes:

runningforit

It's a valid point Imagination30.

As I blog about running, I read a lot of race recaps. In these, I have seen many examples of people getting swept attempting the Goofy. That makes no sense to me....
If you have never done a half...then that should be the goal.
Never, done a full....then go for that.
After you knock these out...then progress naturally toward the goofy and then the Dopey.

To be honest though - it is hard not to get wrapped up in the awesomeness of running multiple events and I have gone back and forth in my mind on doing it. I can see why people get swept up into doing it...particulalry when they can say... "I have 9 months to get all trained up for this"

Ariel484

Thank you! :) That's so nice of you to say. And yes, I do post frequently...:oops: LOL
Good way to think about it...now that I have done Goofy once I feel like I won't be satisfied doing one race on Marathon Weekend in the future...
I definitely think we will see a shift, either in number or in pricing, but that it will be small. I think I pointed this out before, but officially registering for the Dopey cost no more than signing up for the individual races, but you get the extra shirt and medal. So I can see them bumping that up by $20 (the same way the Goofy costs $20 more than the half and full).
Yeah I see what you mean. You're absolutely right that they'll bump up the price starting next year, assuming it comes back after this year. I'm surprised they didn't do that this year...but maybe they wanted to ease people into the sticker shock by starting the price out under $500.
But I also don't see them decreasing the number of Dopey slots by many. By shifting the 5k to Thursday! and even by scheduling the 10k for Friday, they are almost saying that they don't want any people to do just those races, but rather are looking for family of Marathoners, or people who are trying to do multiple race in a short time period. Can you think of that many locals that would try to sign up for a Friday AM 10k, and then go to work? Or waste a vacation day on a 10k? So there may be some shift, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they view the 10k almost as a race for the Dopey runners, with a few thousand non Dopeys. Especially after looking at the numbers they allocated for the Dumbo.
...that is really interesting. I totally didn't think about that, but you make a great point. One of my first reactions upon seeing the new schedule was that the 5K wasn't going to be possible for a lot of people, especially those coming from out of town (my husband, for example, won't ever be able to do the 5K due to his work schedule)...but maybe Disney doesn't care about that so much because once they raise the price of Dopey like you say above that is where they will actually start making more of a profit.
I definitely agree that they shouldn't be increasing the 5k. I reserve final judgement until after I see if the seeding this year works better, but 8k is a lot of runners for that course to handle.
Yes, especially when 1/3-1/2 of the course is in Epcot. Those narrow pathways just can't handle tons of runners.
Totally shifting tracks, I think the 10k will end up being an almost hybrid of the other existing courses. Starting at the 5k start point, following that to the end of the dirt road, where the 5k turns right to go through the guard shack, but everyone goes left for the half/full. If the runners go left, and then follow some of the old red start, then come in where the full does by the bus stops, go on stage, then head down to world showcase, the counter clockwise loop around the world showcase, then similar to every other finish. I did a rough point to point sketch, and got 6 mi, so making it a smidge more accurate might end up with the 6.2. Mashing a bit of all the races together. But it lets them stay within Epcot, and has minimal effect on external traffic.
It's got to be something like that...I think I read somewhere that the course is in Epcot. I'm curious to see it!
its baffles me to see all the post on run disney fb and the event page set up by run disney today that most of all of the first time marthoners .. are doing the goofy.. , i said it a few days ago to shannon , and ill say it again.. --- why do you ant to kill your self.. :rolleyes:
I think it's partially what @runningforit said above, that it's easy to get swept up in the excitement (especially since the Dopey Challenge is what runDisney is advertising the most on their Facebook/runDisney webpage right now), the fact that it's an inaugural year, and - I don't know how it's possible - but people may just think that it won't "be that hard" since they are Disney races. And I feel like the newer runners don't have an idea of how hard it really will be to train for (example - the person I referenced earlier that signed up for Dopey having never run more than 3 miles at a time).

Having unofficially done Dopey last year (5K, half and full), the training really was the hardest part for me. Going through a base-building period after the 2012 marathon up until the fall, then running 4 days per week/strength training 2 days per week for 18 weeks (along with, you know, life - family, work, etc.) was tough (especially during winter in Ohio...yowza). But I was pretty unprepared for how tiring the weekend itself actually would be and how little it felt like a "vacation" - and that was with 3 races, not 4. I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all or an OMG JEALZ H8R :rolleyes: but I think some of these folks are in for a wake-up call. I hope they successfully make it through healthy and happy, but yeah...I don't think everyone's being very smart about it.

Sumrdog

I just registered for the full! And the Dopey was sold out, the 5K sold out, and the 10K sold out. It made me a little sad because my sister wanted to do the 10k with me and because of the Dopey challenge all the more experienced runners are participating in the shorter distances which will unfortunately keep some of the beginning runners (like my sister) from participating :(. I am not sure if Disney thought that through...

I am not going to lie if I had the time off from work to properly train and could dedicate a whole week to this trip I might have signed up for the Dopey too who doesn't want 5 medals? My husband brought me to my senses when I almost registered for the Goofy, he reminded me that I just ran that course in February at the Princess Half and wouldn't I rather not get up at 2:30 am two days in a row and instead spend that extra 180$ on something else. Yes I would; like one of those special Run Disney Dooney purses...

Ariel484

I just registered for the full! And the Dopey was sold out, the 5K sold out, and the 10K sold out. It made me a little sad because my sister wanted to do the 10k with me and because of the Dopey challenge all the more experienced runners are participating in the shorter distances which will unfortunately keep some of the beginning runners (like my sister) from participating :(. I am not sure if Disney thought that through...

I am not going to lie if I had the time off from work to properly train and could dedicate a whole week to this trip I might have signed up for the Dopey too who doesn't want 5 medals? My husband brought me to my senses when I almost registered for the Goofy, he reminded me that I just ran that course in February at the Princess Half and wouldn't I rather not get up at 2:30 am two days in a row and instead spend that extra 180$ on something else. Yes I would; like one of those special Run Disney Dooney purses...
So glad Dopey is sold out...I was tempted to register even though it's really not in the cards for me in 2014. So now I'm forced to wait until 2015. :D

Congrats on signing up for the marathon! Too bad that you sister got shut out this year. If there's anything to be learned from runDisney this year it's that runners need to sign up for the inaugural races almost immediately. Especially the 10Ks...it seems like people just don't have a chance unless they know about the early sign-up for Disney Visa/DVC/AP/at other runDisney expos or if they sign up within the first few hours after "regular" registration opens. I am starting to think that @dreamfinder was really on to something with what he said earlier about runDisney targeting people who are doing multiple races or those looking to make it a family weekend. There's also clearly an advantage for those that are "in the know" when it comes to Disney races (by that I mean those that know to sign up early or as soon as registration opens).
I don't think the RunDisney intern charged with keeping the bar chart up to date works on the weekend. It's been the same the whole time, and I would have really expected to see Dopey sell out, and at least a point shift on one of the other 2.
I figured! There was no way it was REALLY at 99% for that long.

Hannah1284

The Hubs and I are considering our first full marathon for 2014 (Disney of Course...). I am wondering what resort is recommended? Also, I see the rundisney site doesn't have a separate discount page like the other races and am wondering if this will change in the future or if that's a new way to book (or just how WDW marathon does it)?

Thanks for any and all help!

dreamfinder

The Hubs and I are considering our first full marathon for 2014 (Disney of Course...). I am wondering what resort is recommended? Also, I see the rundisney site doesn't have a separate discount page like the other races and am wondering if this will change in the future or if that's a new way to book (or just how WDW marathon does it)?

Thanks for any and all help!

For Marathon weekend its all really about your personal preference. They will provide transport too/from every on property resort. The monorail resorts will all have to take the monorail over, the others will all use buses. Currently there are no discounts posted as I don't believe they have even announced the 2014 rack rates yet. So they can't list discounts until the actual prices are released. I'd figure 5-10%, with a slight chance of a larger discount. Usually pretty close to what a AAA discount would be. The major difference being that booking through RunDisney is technically handled as a package, even if you only book the room. So you have the same restrictions as a package (45 day cancellation, pay in advance, etc).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom