Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LindsayLoves

Dopey is at 66%, 10k 71%. 5k still at 51%.

I was just checking out the runDisney facebook page and lots of people are chiming in saying that they are going Dopey. I am kind of surprised at the number of people saying that they are going Dopey and have never done a full before - yikes!

"Spots for Dopey: They have not officially decided on a number of spaces yet. They are watching the numbers for the presales, and don’t want to take all the 10k spots because runDisney wants to leave most of them for people wanting to run the 10k only. Faron said it is quite the balancing act, and that the presale numbers were very limited." - from a blog interview with Faron Kelley, director of marketing and communications for Disney sports

I feel a Dopey sell out coming today...

Kristia

I was just checking out the runDisney facebook page and lots of people are chiming in saying that they are going Dopey. I am kind of surprised at the number of people saying that they are going Dopey and have never done a full before - yikes!
I was checking out the Run Disney facebook as well and I thought the same thing you did. I find it really crazy (and a bit disturbing) that people who have never done a marathon want to go all out and do the Dopey. More power to them, if they can do it. Has it just become "Let's see how much bling I can get at once no matter how well I do"? After doing the marathon once, and the Goofy once (after training my a$$ off), I could have never attempted Goofy without having a marathon under my belt. I hope they check to make sure people finish all races to receive the Dopey medal which they surely didn't with the Goofy last year.

LindsayLoves

I was checking out the Run Disney facebook as well and I thought the same thing you did. I find it really crazy (and a bit disturbing) that people who have never done a marathon want to go all out and do the Dopey. More power to them, if they can do it. Has it just become "Let's see how much bling I can get at once no matter how well I do"? After doing the marathon once, and the Goofy once (after training my a$$ off), I could have never attempted Goofy without having a marathon under my belt. I hope they check to make sure people finish all races to receive the Dopey medal which they surely didn't with the Goofy last year.

I think people underestimate that you have to RUN at these things. Yes, you can walk the whole thing 16 min/mile pace and finish it, I have no issue with that. A 16 min/mile does not allow for ANY photo stops which is what most people think about when they are "casually" doing one of these races. If you want to stop for all the photos I would say you should train for 12 minute miles at the very slowest. I think some people are in for a rude awakening.

Also I can't run Philadelphia this year I have to work that weekend... bummed. :(

Ariel484

"Spots for Dopey: They have not officially decided on a number of spaces yet. They are watching the numbers for the presales, and don’t want to take all the 10k spots because runDisney wants to leave most of them for people wanting to run the 10k only. Faron said it is quite the balancing act, and that the presale numbers were very limited." - from a blog interview with Faron Kelley, director of marketing and communications for Disney sports

I feel a Dopey sell out coming today...
Yeah, not gonna mince words here...running Dopey (or Goofy even) as a first marathon is absolutely crazy to me. Knowing that you can 1. Survive the training and 2. Finish the race distance is SO incredibly helpful. I think it's great that people want to work toward these goals, and obviously it's their decision, but why rush it? Why not run the marathon first, or even the 10K or the half, and then go from there?

I read a thread on another board where someone signed up for Dopey, and the longest they've ever run is 3 miles...3 MILES. I mean, how do you even know if you like distance running at all at that point? And then you sign up to run 48.6 miles over 4 days? I just don't get it...that's a lot of money to plunk down...

imagination30

Yeah, not gonna mince words here...running Dopey (or Goofy even) as a first marathon is absolutely crazy to me. Knowing that you can 1. Survive the training and 2. Finish the race distance is SO incredibly helpful. I think it's great that people want to work toward these goals, and obviously it's their decision, but why rush it? Why not run the marathon first, or even the 10K or the half, and then go from there?

I read a thread on another board where someone signed up for Dopey, and the longest they've ever run is 3 miles...3 MILES. I mean, how do you even know if you like distance running at all at that point? And then you sign up to run 48.6 miles over 4 days? I just don't get it...that's a lot of money to plunk down...

and to add shannon thats not ampable training either and a good way to ruin your running forever.. , smh ,,, at some people ... , runing is just like a bike with training wheels dont push to hard at first , or you could really hurt your self!..

Ariel484

and to add shannon thats not ampable training either and a good way to ruin your running forever.. , smh ,,, at some people ... , runing is just like a bike with training wheels dont push to hard at first , or you could really hurt your self!..
Agreed. I followed the same message board while training last year and a lot of people that were just starting to run and were training for the marathon or Goofy had to pull out due to stress fractures - i.e. doing too much too soon. I didn't see any of that here on WDWMagic.

ptaylor

Premium Member
For a lot of those 'never ran a full but doing the dopey just so I can get all the medals and be annoying on twitter' - I think it will be a case of:

walkdisney.jpg

disneyfan1995

does anyone know how full the 1/2 marathon is? I'm interested in doing it, but I would want a few weeks to test the waters running those distances at home before committing to do it.

dreamfinder

Dopey 76%, 5K 65%, 10K SOLD OUT!

10K didn't last long at all. I'm interested to see the actual numbers for these new events.

does anyone know how full the 1/2 marathon is? I'm interested in doing it, but I would want a few weeks to test the waters running those distances at home before committing to do it.

They will show the counter when an event is 50% or more full. Nothing yet, so you should have a few days at least, but now that the 10K is sold out, there is a chance people will start to sign up for that one instead. If you dig through the previous pages of this thread you should be able to figure out how many days it was up last year. Keep in mind that both the ToT 10 Miler and the Wine & Dine Half still have spots open. I wouldn't be surprised if the 10k and Dopey sold out fast since they are new, but if the 1/2, full, and Goofy take a few weeks or even months to fill up.

GSpiff

Last year the half, full and Goofy took until September to sell out, and that was with the 20th Anniversary excitement surrounding the weekend. Can't see this year selling out much faster. You should be safe to wait it out a bit if you're unsure if you want to register.

dreamfinder

Last year the half, full and Goofy took until September to sell out, and that was with the 20th Anniversary excitement surrounding the weekend. Can't see this year selling out much faster. You should be safe to wait it out a bit if you're unsure if you want to register.

Yup. Dug through the back pages of the thread, half sold out on Sept 5th, full and Goofy on Sept 10th. However, keep in mind that the 5k didn't hit 64% until Sept 10th. I think that guessing as to a sell out date for the traditional races is going to be tough. They keep changing things around. Reg used to open the Monday after the full, then they shifted it to April. Last few years have also had the Goofy 5th, Donald 15th, and Mickey 20th. So each year there has been a big anniversary for one of the races. Just keep your eye on the event page and watch the counters. You should have plenty of notice if you check regularly.

dreamfinder

10K - Sold Out
5K - 84%
Dopey - 85%
Half - 51%

Pace has definitely slowed down, might take a few days for Dopey/5K to fill up now. I'd still think the half has a while to go, but keep your eye on it if its an option.

Ariel484

10K - Sold Out
5K - 84%
Dopey - 85%
Half - 51%

Pace has definitely slowed down, might take a few days for Dopey/5K to fill up now. I'd still think the half has a while to go, but keep your eye on it if its an option.
Wow, I'm surprised that the 5K is so full. I'll be curious to see how quickly the 10K races (at WDW and Disneyland) sell out next year...I'm sure they filled up quickly this time due to it being the inaugural years, but I do think they'll continue to be popular in the future since it's a more doable distance than the half and it comes with a real medal (not a rubber medallion) and a tech shirt (instead of a t-shirt).

dreamfinder

Wow, I'm surprised that the 5K is so full. I'll be curious to see how quickly the 10K races (at WDW and Disneyland) sell out next year...I'm sure they filled up quickly this time due to it being the inaugural years, but I do think they'll continue to be popular in the future since it's a more doable distance than the half and it comes with a real medal (not a rubber medallion) and a tech shirt (instead of a t-shirt).

Just doing some napkin math, assume they kept the 5k at the same size, 8,000 runners. Then, what, maybe 12,000 for the 10k? They said 8,000 for the DLR 10k, with 5,000 Dumbo runners. I'd be very surprised if they went that high with the Dopey numbers, as I'd wager 1/3-1/2 would otherwise be going Goofy, and then Goofy would never fill up. I'd think closer to 3,000 Dopey, maybe even as low as 1,000. But if they did go 3,000 then that's 38% of the field right there.

Ariel484

Just doing some napkin math, assume they kept the 5k at the same size, 8,000 runners. Then, what, maybe 12,000 for the 10k? They said 8,000 for the DLR 10k, with 5,000 Dumbo runners. I'd be very surprised if they went that high with the Dopey numbers, as I'd wager 1/3-1/2 would otherwise be going Goofy, and then Goofy would never fill up. I'd think closer to 3,000 Dopey, maybe even as low as 1,000. But if they did go 3,000 then that's 38% of the field right there.
Oh right. Good point...if the 5K fills up soon there will be a lot of disappointed non-Dopey runners out there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom