Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

dreamfinder

When I registered my wife for the 10K, they didn't ask for a pacing requirement, but that changed. If you registered for the 10K and didn't get asked for a pacing requirement, you probably will need to send an email to TrackShack to make sure you don't end up on the last corral.

Also, the corrals for this year's races will VERY different from previous years. There are going to be more corrals, each with less people.

Good to know.

26 letters to the alphabet.......

AUPr8Hd

Good to know.

26 letters to the alphabet.......

They could go double letter corrals, if they wanted. Peachtree Road Race does it for their race (60k runners on a 10k course). I've run it before and never really felt like it was that crowded, until the last couple hundred yards.

dreamfinder

Just to throw it out there, the RW Challenge is 75% full. Not sure if anyone was planning on dropping the cash for the upgrade, but making it known for the sake of posterity. And it seems like that operates under a set number of slots for all 4 events, not different numbers for each, as they only have the single counter.

dreamfinder

And in case anyone hadn't heard yet, RunDisney does seem to be paying attention to some complaints. They claim to be lowering the half/full field by a combined 2,000 runners.

With a reduced field size and carefully calculated corral placements (and more corrals in general), we plan to improve your on-course experience. We have implemented a new proof of time standard for each of our races. If you anticipate finishing the full marathon in under 6:30 hours, or the half marathon in under 3:15 hours, we are asking that you submit your proof of time from a previous race by November 1, 2013 to help determine your starting corral. We believe this will help us properly match our runners with those of similar running abilities.

Full blog posting here -> http://www.rundisney.com/blog/articles/2014-walt-disney-world-marathon-weekend-enhancements with a youtube about some of the changes.

Ariel484

And now the RW challenge is 90% full.
WOW. I wonder how many RW Challenge spots there actually are?
And in case anyone hadn't heard yet, RunDisney does seem to be paying attention to some complaints. They claim to be lowering the half/full field by a combined 2,000 runners.

Full blog posting here -> http://www.rundisney.com/blog/articles/2014-walt-disney-world-marathon-weekend-enhancements with a youtube about some of the changes.
This is awesome. I'm so glad they're reducing the number of runners...hopefully that, combined with more corrals and more accurate corral placements (i.e. making more people submit times and, I hope, doing a more thorough job to make sure that people are placed correctly), will make a big difference in course crowding this year and in the future. I'll be curious to hear about it. I'm impressed that runDisney is doing this.

Here's a question...does the fact that they are adding more corrals mean an earlier start time? They still need to get runners out of the MK early...

dreamfinder

Also, the 10k hit the pre-reg limit. No idea when, I just checked the page now and it said the 10k pre-reg was full.

WOW. I wonder how many RW Challenge spots there actually are?

I'd wager under 100. Since they are doing a special pre-race strategy session, they need to be able to fit them all in a single area. Most of the other perks are trivial in terms of infrastructure needed.

Here's a question...does the fact that they are adding more corrals mean an earlier start time? They still need to get runners out of the MK early...

I think this sadly means they will keep using last years course. The old course didn't hit the Contemporary til mile 10, but the new course is at mile 5. Both old and new course started at 5:30, but the new course gave them an extra 80 minutes! of time to clear out the MK. In 2012 the last wave started at 6:03, in 2013 the last wave started at 6:24. So based on the 2012 miles, they had runners hitting the MK guard gate at 8:45ish. (10 miles at 16 mins per) If we stick to that same clear time (doing a sweep at mile 5 at 8:45) the runners that just clear the sweep should be leaving via the Frontierland parade gate at 9:00, allowing them to open the park at 9, that would mean the last wave would take 80 mins to hit mile 5, so starting at 7:25 is theoretically possible. Roughly another hour of start time after the last wave started in 2013, or another 8 corrals. I'd imagine that they wouldn't want to push it that far, but they could easily do another 3-4 corrals, and still get clear of MK prior to open. Of course that then means that the course needs to stay open another 30 mins or so, and I take pity on the poor people waiting 2 hours in the last corral.

Kristia

I can't wait to see how 2014 plays out and how well these improvements work.
Of course that then means that the course needs to stay open another 30 mins or so, and I take pity on the poor people waiting 2 hours in the last corral.
All the more reason for people to train and get a decent corral placement!

dreamfinder

just so you guys know the run disney site went down .. right at 10:59 ct ..

Was just going to comment on that. Crack web team couldn't keep the box up under the pressure. It's still there. Kinda. Just seriously getting hammered. Did the email tell runners to go to RunDisney? Or directly to the Active.com link?

imagination30

Was just going to comment on that. Crack web team couldn't keep the box up under the pressure. It's still there. Kinda. Just seriously getting hammered. Did the email tell runners to go to RunDisney? Or directly to the Active.com link?
the email from run disney you click on register now and it sends you to the run disney site

dreamfinder

the email from run disney you click on register now and it sends you to the run disney site

Brilliant. I'm all for driving up the viewer count, but damn, when you know something is going to hammer your site your either prepare, or send them straight to the source. I'd hope they at least tweet/facebook the direct link ASAP to help people out who can't get it to load.

Mr mom

Oh man I would so love to have the money and time to do this, I would have to go dopey, even though it would make the full marathon brutal and slow.

dreamfinder

Oh man I would so love to have the money and time to do this, I would have to go dopey, even though it would make the full marathon brutal and slow.

Surprisingly, the Dopey shirt/medal actually end up being free if you register now. $340 (Goofy) + $95 (10k) + $60 (5k) = $495 (Cost of Dopey) Nice for them to toss us "unofficial" Dopeyists a freebie for our past support. ; )

imagination30

IM IN.. ;):):) , and i went the basic route no pins , or any thing .. just basic so it was cheper.. minus the 10.98 fee so let the magical first marthon weekend trip begin!!

dreamfinder

Just to document, Dopey is at 60%, 10k is at 65%, and 5k is at 51%. Looks like 10k and Dopey might sell out on opening day like the Dumbo and DLR 10k did. Sign up now if you are on the fence!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom