Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

AUPr8Hd

Yes, the races have been "selling out" more quickly. For DisneyLand and Wine & Dine, there have been slots open up as the race drew closer. For instance, Disneyland opened spots approximately 2 weeks before the race. The exact number is unknown. Wine & Dine has just had a link put up on Active for registration. So, there must be some spots that are now open. These are probably from charity or travel agency spots not used.

So, if you really want to run one of the "sold out" events, either look at charity/travel agency spots or keep an eye on Active for last minute registration links.

Kristia

question after seeing the epcot 30th fire works video ? , just curious what fire works show is runing during marthon weekend?
When we did the 2011 marathon, it was just the normal Wishes fireworks at the MK and Illuminations at Epcot. Nothing special that weekend.

Ariel484

Just wanted to make sure everyone saw this!

http://www.disneyrewards.com/offers/wdwroomofferoct12

Rumor has it the GP discount comes out on the 10th...???

Anyhoo, I called about the above discount yesterday. Unfortunately it didn't apply to any rooms in the category we had booked at the Polynesian (there were themepark-view rooms available...very tempting but there's not way we were paying for it) so we switched to the Grand Floridian! Saved us $400. :)

Kristia

Nice! Thanks for the heads up! We rented DVC points this time so we could stay at Beach Club. Hoping some good discounts come out for our August trip.

LindsayLoves

Anyhoo, I called about the above discount yesterday. Unfortunately it didn't apply to any rooms in the category we had booked at the Polynesian (there were themepark-view rooms available...very tempting but there's not way we were paying for it) so we switched to the Grand Floridian! Saved us $400. :)

I had to read that twice! You saved $400 AND get to stay at GF?!?! Kicking myself for not having this card.

Mad Stitch

I did not see that, thanks for posting it. I'm booked at Pop now.

Ariel484

Nice! Thanks for the heads up! We rented DVC points this time so we could stay at Beach Club. Hoping some good discounts come out for our August trip.

That's exactly what I did last year! AWESOME location.

I had to read that twice! You saved $400 AND get to stay at GF?!?! Kicking myself for not having this card.

I know, isn't that weird that switching to the Grand Flordian is the CHEAPER option? I mean, not saying it's a complete bargain or anything, but still...

Hopefully the GP discount will come out on the 10th and you can take advantage of that. :)

I did not see that, thanks for posting it. I'm booked at Pop now.

You're welcome! I didn't see it either until someone else messaged me about it, so I'm not sure how well advertised it is...?

We took advantage of that offer yesterday. We were already booked at POFQ but with the discount we added dining for next to nothing.

Nice!

Katherine

Hey! So I've been looking at the discounts available through runDisney for rooms and was wondering if anyone had an idea of what the "gift" is for staying on property? Did they offer this last year? I usually book my room using a different discount but if the gift is cool/exclusive enough might considering going through runDisney at least for a night or 2.

Ariel484

Hey! So I've been looking at the discounts available through runDisney for rooms and was wondering if anyone had an idea of what the "gift" is for staying on property? Did they offer this last year? I usually book my room using a different discount but if the gift is cool/exclusive enough might considering going through runDisney at least for a night or 2.

I have no idea what the gift is. I booked a room through runDisney through the 2011 Princess Half and don't remember getting anything, so maybe it's new for this year? I do remember afterward thinking that the runDisney discount wasn't that great and that I should have booked under a different (better) discount...o_O

dreamfinder

I have no idea what the gift is. I booked a room through runDisney through the 2011 Princess Half and don't remember getting anything, so maybe it's new for this year? I do remember afterward thinking that the runDisney discount wasn't that great and that I should have booked under a different (better) discount...o_O

Pretty sure the gift is a new thing. I'd imagine it would be a mug, shirt, backpack type gift. Haven't seen it before. They seem to be trying to tweak the lodging lately. I was very surprised to see that they have upped the official resorts for the Princess to basically everything on property. Not sure if they increased registration that much, or if there is overlap with vacation weeks that are causing the hotels to be fuller than in the past.

The discounts for booking through runDisney have been trivial at best. I think like 5% off if I recall correctly. And even if you don't want tickets/dining, they still book it as a package so you are stuck with the same terms as if it was a package.

Katherine

Thanks for the info guys! I'm all about the swag so it might be worth a night stay under the runDisney discount to check it out. Maybe it's more 20th anniversary marathon stuff!

dreamfinder

Thanks for the info guys! I'm all about the swag so it might be worth a night stay under the runDisney discount to check it out. Maybe it's more 20th anniversary marathon stuff!

I think they were looking for a 4 night stay to get the freebie. So you would need to weight if paying an extra 25% or so a night is worth a free whatever...

lukacseven

If the discount is through RunDisney, then it's probably the reusable tote. The past 3-4 race expos RunDisney has been at gave out black tote bags with the word type logo if you signed up for a race.

Hi everyone. I ran the Half in 2012 and loved it. We are gearing up to head back down for 2013 and my family is taking advantage of the recently announced discount so we can stay near the Magic Kingdom. My parents are going as well and decided to stay at WL. My parents want to see the runners go through the Magic Kingdom and are wondering if the boats will be running the morning of the Half Marathon. I called WL and they quoted the standard RunDisney transportation (bus from WL to EPCOT and then monorail back to MK). I'm hoping there is another option and wanted to see if anyone with previous experience had suggestions. I typically run about a 11- 12 minute mile so I should be getting to the MK around 7AM (assuming a 6AM start for my group). They want to be in the MK on Main Street by 6:30 AM and I'm thinking that is before the normal boat service starts running.

Ariel484

Hi everyone. I ran the Half in 2012 and loved it. We are gearing up to head back down for 2013 and my family is taking advantage of the recently announced discount so we can stay near the Magic Kingdom. My parents are going as well and decided to stay at WL. My parents want to see the runners go through the Magic Kingdom and are wondering if the boats will be running the morning of the Half Marathon. I called WL and they quoted the standard RunDisney transportation (bus from WL to EPCOT and then monorail back to MK). I'm hoping there is another option and wanted to see if anyone with previous experience had suggestions. I typically run about a 11- 12 minute mile so I should be getting to the MK around 7AM (assuming a 6AM start for my group). They want to be in the MK on Main Street by 6:30 AM and I'm thinking that is before the normal boat service starts running.

You know...I don't think I have ever seen anyone mention the boats before. Including the runDisney transportation page: mentions of the buses, monorail and driving directions are there, but not the boats. I'm not certain either way but I wouldn't count on the boats being up and running in time for your parents to see you...my guess is they won't be going until 8ish. Maybe someone else can confirm.

dreamfinder

As far as I can recall, the only official Disney transportation that hold different hours at Marathon weekend would be the monorail. And that is just so they can get all 3 MK resorts to Epcot without having to run buses. Everything else maintains it normal schedule. The buses doing runner transport aren't run by Disney, but by Mears, so it doesn't cut into the Disney transportation staffing or anything. So for them to get there at that time they would either need to take the Marathon buses to the start, and then do the Monorail leapfrog, or take a taxi.

lukacseven

There was no reference to boat transportation in the spectator guide from last year's race weekend. Recommended method of transportation is bus to Epcot, Monorail to Transit Center & Monorail to Magic Kingdom. You may also want to take the last (designated race) bus to Epcot before the race start. Buses from resorts begin running at 3:00 am through 5:00 am. All bus transportation is suspended from 5:00-7:00 am. Buses resume at 7:00 from resorts to Epcot. Also, don't count on the fact that it will take the same time to get around as it may in the afternoon. Due to your resort relative to the race course, you may take a more round-about way to get to your destination.

Normal Disney operated transportation to the parks begins 1 hour prior to park opening.

Katherine

So this is not officially supported by disney but the Wilderness lodge is about a mile and a half walk from the MK entrance. So if they give themselves 45 min to get there they should be there with plenty of time. Again, not officially endorsed and some/most of the roads don't have sidewalks. Also, if they don't want to walk they could take a cab the mile from WL to Contemporary and then walk over from there. I believe they leave that road half open for cast member traffic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom