Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

lukacseven

Don't know if anyone saw this or not, but apparently there are going to be multiple celebrities running the 2013 Disney World Marathon. The couple I remember off hand are Drew Carey and Sean Astin.

Several serious celeb runners have committed according to Run Disney: Kit Hoover, Ethan Zahn & Jenna Morasca. Also Jilles Marini, Allison Sweeney and Colin Cowherd (whoever they are).

dreamfinder

Several serious celeb runners have committed according to Run Disney: Kit Hoover, Ethan Zahn & Jenna Morasca. Also Jilles Marini, Allison Sweeney and Colin Cowherd (whoever they are).

Allison Sweeney - Host of The Biggest Loser
Gilles Marini - Apparently his claim to fame is doing full frontal in Sex and the City movie, but also happened to be a regular on the ABC show Brothers and Sisters
Colin Cowherd - ESPN personality, hosts SportsNation and I believe has his own radio show as well

Ethan and Jenna are regulars at RunDisney races. I see a bit of the synergy machine kicking in here. Colin has at least some running aspirations, EPSN did a bit on him trying to run a 6:30 mile (which he did) so he could do fairly well.

AUPr8Hd

It's amazing how quickly Marathon jumped this week. There must've been a large number of registrations @ Disneyland Half expo this past weekend.

Marathon is now SOLD OUT!!

Ariel484

Marathon: SOLD OUT
Half Marathon: SOLD OUT
Goofy: 99% full
5k: 64% full
Kids races: 51% full

Things are filling up much faster than last year!

Anyone starting training this week? I started 2 weeks ago but had to take the weekend off...battling a nasty sinus infection. :( I'm hoping to get back to it tomorrow.

Happy running! :)

GoofyRacer11

Marathon: SOLD OUT
Half Marathon: SOLD OUT
Goofy: 99% full
5k: 64% full
Kids races: 51% full

Things are filling up much faster than last year!

Anyone starting training this week? I started 2 weeks ago but had to take the weekend off...battling a nasty sinus infection. :( I'm hoping to get back to it tomorrow.

Happy running! :)

Probably cause everyone wants that 20th anniversary medal! I started training this past weekend and look forward to running the Goofy Challenge again this year. Hope you feel better!

Ariel484

All 3 of em maxed out quick. Still amazed at the number of people that seem to wait til it hits 90+% before registering.

Me too...

I'm shocked at how many people are complaining that the races have filled up. I'm seeing threads on another board asking if people can buy bibs from those that actually aren't going to use theirs. It may sound mean, but...if you wanted to run the race that badly, why didn't you pay more attention to the %'s on runDisney.com? o_O

I'm kind of surprised that the half sold out to quickly. The full and Goofy closing makes sense (20th stuff, people seeing the medal in person at the DL expo, Goofy having fewer spots and being another way to get the 20th medal), but I guess I thought the half would take longer, similar to last year when it sold out in late fall/early winter...or whenever that way.

LindsayLoves

Me too...

I'm kind of surprised that the half sold out to quickly. The full and Goofy closing makes sense (20th stuff, people seeing the medal in person at the DL expo, Goofy having fewer spots and being another way to get the 20th medal), but I guess I thought the half would take longer, similar to last year when it sold out in late fall/early winter...or whenever that way.

Half marathons are insanely popular now. Lots of people think of that as a far more attainable goal over a full and even for people who have done fulls the half is just less wear and tear on your body. I bet the half is full of people there to support full/goofy runners who don't want to bite the bullet and go for the full, just to take part in the fun weekend celebration.

I have a cousin who is a great runner who is prepping for a half in a few weeks and at this point she refuses to do a full, the thought it just too daunting for her. Its just a mental thing, but that might change after she does that half and realizes that a full is definitely doable.

Ariel484

Half marathons are insanely popular now. Lots of people think of that as a far more attainable goal over a full and even for people who have done fulls the half is just less wear and tear on your body. I bet the half is full of people there to support full/goofy runners who don't want to bite the bullet and go for the full, just to take part in the fun weekend celebration.

I have a cousin who is a great runner who is prepping for a half in a few weeks and at this point she refuses to do a full, the thought it just too daunting for her. Its just a mental thing, but that might change after she does that half and realizes that a full is definitely doable.

Oh totally, I get that. :) The half is my favorite distance...I just mean I'm surprised it sold out quickly compared to last year. Even though it was the 15th anniversary I don't think it sold out until November.

Mad Stitch

Not only that, it is a big time commitment to train for a full marathon.

LindsayLoves

Oh totally, I get that. :) The half is my favorite distance...I just mean I'm surprised it sold out quickly compared to last year. Even though it was the 15th anniversary I don't think it sold out until November.

Also, we shouldn't discount the enormous popularity of runDisney, they have exploded over the past few years and I think for every race this year they have been able to say that they sold out in record time. I wanted to do Tower of Terror this year but it sold out before I had a chance to buy my entry (I also wasn't the quickest on the draw for it). I know I will buy entry for the Disneyland Half for next year before I make solid plans to go because I don't want to miss out on the C2C if its going to sell out in less than a month like it did this year.

Ariel484

Not only that, it is a big time commitment to train for a full marathon.

Very true!

Also, we shouldn't discount the enormous popularity of runDisney, they have exploded over the past few years and I think for every race this year they have been able to say that they sold out in record time. I wanted to do Tower of Terror this year but it sold out before I had a chance to buy my entry (I also wasn't the quickest on the draw for it). I know I will buy entry for the Disneyland Half for next year before I make solid plans to go because I don't want to miss out on the C2C if its going to sell out in less than a month like it did this year.

Good point...you're right that they have really stepped up the marketing (Facebook, Twitter, having their own webpage).

You're right that you should definitely sign up for the DL half soon after registration opens. That one ALWAYS sells out quickly since it's just 1 of 2 races on the west cost. Not sure if the Tinkerbell Half sells out as quickly. :confused:

Mad Stitch

You're right that you should definitely sign up for the DL half soon after registration opens. That one ALWAYS sells out quickly since it's just 1 of 2 races on the west cost. Not sure if the Tinkerbell Half sells out as quickly. :confused:

The Tinkerbell Half Marathon for 2013 has already sold out; therefore if you want to complete the Coast to Coast in 2013 the only west coast option remaining is the Disneyland Half. This year they had pre-registration for the Disneyland Half at the WDW Marathon Weekend Expo, it then opened to the general public about a week later.

I just signed up for the 1/2 last week after waking up one weekend and realizing how badly I need a jumpstart to the rest of my life. The longest I've ever run was 9 miles back when I was in high school, and my morning runs are more exercises in torment more than anything else, but I simply cannot wait to cross that finish line and prove to myself that I can actually do this. Can't wait!

LindsayLoves

The Tinkerbell Half Marathon for 2013 has already sold out; therefore if you want to complete the Coast to Coast in 2013 the only west coast option remaining is the Disneyland Half. This year they had pre-registration for the Disneyland Half at the WDW Marathon Weekend Expo, it then opened to the general public about a week later.

Thanks for the insider scoop on that. I will be prepared to sign up for the DL Half at the expo.

lukacseven

Me too...

I'm shocked at how many people are complaining that the races have filled up. I'm seeing threads on another board asking if people can buy bibs from those that actually aren't going to use theirs. It may sound mean, but...if you wanted to run the race that badly, why didn't you pay more attention to the %'s on runDisney.com? o_O

The January half usually sells out first - several weeks before the marathon or Goofy. A few years back ('07-'08) they opened registration for the following year the Monday after the marathon. Goofy filled up by the end of May, however this was before they expanded the field - back then the cap was 3K. In 2011, largely in part because of the 20-30 degree temps the year before none of the races reached capacity until mid-late December. 2013 is probably the earliest since '09 that the capacity has been reached so quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom