Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I thought about that this weekend during my long run, it definitely makes it seem right around the corner. I have to start thinking about what I'm going to wear. :p

My wife already has it planned. I'm still looking, however. I figure, it's my first full, I gotta do something cool.

Texas84

This one's going to be all about getting cousin Brandi her first marathon. So it will be another 'just finish.' We're only going to do 15 & 17 before the run.

Ariel484

I thought about that this weekend during my long run, it definitely makes it seem right around the corner. I have to start thinking about what I'm going to wear. :p

My trail run is next weekend. It's always the saturday after thanksgiving. Im am nervous but I have at least started to run on trails to try my shoes out unlike last year.

I have been thinking about what to wear as soon as I signed up. Still have no idea:(

I have my outfit for the full picked out...I think...keep changing my mind. Need to get something for the half. :)

@Mickey&Minnie gotcha...I am sure you will do great! I have heard that trail races are a bit more laid back compared to road races.

Two months, huh? I had better finish writing my will.

LOL!! :D

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
This was an email from another Disney 3rd party site with "Tips" for your marathon weekend at Disney. Thought it was worth the copy/paste. Sorry for the massive post, but it could potentially save someone from a bad experience.

PLANNING YOUR TRIP
Stay at a Disney resort if you can. You'll maximize your sleep time the night before race day. Plus, you'll let the Disney buses fight the traffic for you.

If your family is traveling with you to cheer you on in your marathon adventure, make it easy on them and stay at a resort along the racecourse. The Boardwalk area resorts (Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Swan/Dolphin) put them right on the course when you need their support the most -- the last few miles.

Be Prepared! Many Disney races require more walking in addition to the miles in the actual race. For example, walking from the corrals to the start line, the finish line to bag pick-up, walking through the parks to get to the buses... keep that in mind when training!

Pack your patience and check your running gels! Consider TSA rules on liquids before packing any hydration or running gels in your carry-on luggage.

Keep in mind that the marathon will still be going on when Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Epcot are opening up for regular park guests. Guests not associated with the marathon may want to make Magic Kingdom their park choice for that morning.

If you are flying to Walt Disney World for marathon weekend, be sure to pack your running shoes in your carry-on bag (and running clothes, if you have the room). If your luggage gets lost, the one thing that you don't want to have to break in race-morning is new shoes!

Read all of the race info and become familiar with how everything works BEFORE the race. It will help you navigate the pre and post areas. Become familiar with race day etiquette as well, this will help you during the race, and you will be helping out your fellow runners as well!

EXPO PLANNING
Make sure you give yourself enough time to enjoy the race expo at the Wide World of Sports complex. There are all kinds of wonderful keepsakes to shop for and special “runDisney” merchandise just for the marathon weekend.

Packet pick-up (where runners go to get their race credentials) is at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex. It's essential you give yourself enough time to get there and pick-up your race materials. We ran into several people last year in the Magic Kingdom and Epcot who thought they could pick-up their stuff at the parks.

If you get to Walt Disney World and discover you forgot a key piece of running gear and you don't have a car - don't worry. The runner's expo has everything you need and each Walt Disney World resort has bus service to and from the expo.

Race expos are fun to check out, but if you are going to buy new running gear at the expo, DO NOT use it for your race that weekend. Wear something you are comfortable in already, that has been tested on one of your long runs.

RACE DAY
for Runners

Think about breakfast! Consider if you can get your normal Pre-race meal at your resort or if you need to bring it with you.

Get a good night's sleep two days before your race because the night before the race you'll be up early and probably won't sleep anyway.

The counter service restaurant opened early at our resort for both the Half and Full marathon mornings, but NOT the 5K morning. Make sure you pick up some snacks the night before so that you aren't starving during the race.

The 5K race starts early enough that it is still dark. If you are doing it as a family, make it more fun and stop at your local Party Store and pick-up some glow bracelets and necklaces for really cheap. This will really help emphasize the "fun" in the 5K Fun Run!

Thank the volunteers! If it weren't for them, we wouldn't have the races.

Because of traffic and the number of people participating in the events, be ready to get on the first bus out of your resort, so you are not stuck in traffic getting to the pre-race area. Because of this, you could potentially be in the pre-race area for a long time. Bring pre-race food and water or power drinks with you.

The Disney races have lots of characters, including many you no longer see in the parks, so make sure you run with a camera.

Don't overdo the parks the morning of a night race, or the day before a morning race. Remember, you want to enjoy the race. If you are in pain even before the race starts, you will not have a great experience.
For colder races, bring clothes to 'toss'. Old sweatshirts, sweatpants, long sleeved shirts, gloves, etc. will help you stay warm before the race, and the clothes tossed on the sides of the racecourse will be picked up, cleaned and donated to charity by Disney.

For the 5K, go out in the first corral. This will allow you plenty of time for character pictures and not worry about any cut-off.

RACE DAY
for Cheerers

You may be able to see your runner twice during the race. Catch your runner as they go through the Magic Kingdom, then jump on the monorail and get to the finish line outside of Epcot.

If you plan to cheer for your runner on Main Street, get there when the park opens for spectators to enter (about 5:30). Spots along Main Street fill up fast, especially near the castle.

For the marathon: If your runner has more than a 10-minute per mile pace (and you don't care about being at the finish line) you can see them twice in World Showcase. Wait by the Rose and Crown in the UK. When your runner goes by, head toward Canada and the World Showcase Plaza. You should be able to see them as they head to Future World.

You can get great unobstructed photos of you and the castle on the race days. Simply go to Main Street to cheer and stay until all runners have passed. Cast members won't rush you out and you'll get fantastic photo ops!

Make sure you know your runner's pace and the course map. This will help you plan your viewing locations and the time it may take to get there.

If you don't catch the buses early as a spectator, be prepared to catch a cab. You really need to be on the buses almost when the runners are.

If you are watching in the Magic Kingdom for the Goofy Challenge on both days: This year the marathon course is the same as the Half Marathon course when it enters the Magic Kingdom. Don't stand in the same place both days. Some recommended spots: The 6 o'clock center of the hub in front of the Partner Statue, by the Tomorrowland Bridge, and the corner of the Emporium facing the runners coming in from backstage.

For taking pictures of your runners, plan to either use a flash or have a low aperture lens for your DSLR.

Caution: The Monorail from the Ticket and Transportation Center (TTC) to Epcot will typically have a long line. The cast members do a good job of moving things along, but you can expect to spend about a half-hour or more at this stop.

Usually the coffee kiosk in the Contemporary is open at 5 a.m. and provides delicious coffee (as opposed to the NESCAFE served in the parks). This means you can grab a latte before you walk into the Magic Kingdom to find your spot to view the race.

AFTER THE RACE
Post-race tip: get up and walk around after the race, it is a good idea to keep your muscles from tightening up. Take a slow stroll around your resort or around Downtown Disney where there are plenty of places to sit down if you need it!

Wear your medals proudly the day of the race, and the day following. You will get congrats from the cast members, other runners, and park guests!

Kristia

I said I would never do this again. And here I am. :confused:

I said the same thing after finishing...then signed up for the 2013 marathon as soon as registration opened. o_O
Me too! And now I am insane enough to be doing the Goofy! Actually, I was ready to do another after the pain wore off from the first time which didn't take too long. I think I said never again during the training for the first one. I am finding the training a little easier this time although I still hate trying to fit in the longest runs with everything else that is going on!

minniemickeyfan

credit for the above article needs to go to:
"On Your Mark... Get Set...Tips for Dealing with Disney Races"
by Daniel Rajnik AllEars® Guest Columnist

Katherine

So I ran a marathon 3 weeks ago and I've been taking some time "off" aka not following my training plan and resting more. Now, it's go time though. Got to get the motor running again. On my run today I was thinking about how awesome it's going to be to have all 4 medals at the end of the weekend, especially the spinner medal! I'm all about bling!

Ariel484

Signed up for the Friday pasta party today. Counting down!

Yum! Have you done it before? It's somewhere in Epcot, right?

My pre-race meals are Via Napoli the night before the half and 'Ohana the night before the full...going to try to keep in mind not to each too much at 'Ohana. :)

Countdown to Marathon Weekend is almost in the 30s!!! Maybe they'll post waivers in a couple of weeks??

imagination30

This was an email from another Disney 3rd party site with "Tips" for your marathon weekend at Disney. Thought it was worth the copy/paste. Sorry for the massive post, but it could potentially save someone from a bad experience.

PLANNING YOUR TRIP
Stay at a Disney resort if you can. You'll maximize your sleep time the night before race day. Plus, you'll let the Disney buses fight the traffic for you.

If your family is traveling with you to cheer you on in your marathon adventure, make it easy on them and stay at a resort along the racecourse. The Boardwalk area resorts (Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Swan/Dolphin) put them right on the course when you need their support the most -- the last few miles.

Be Prepared! Many Disney races require more walking in addition to the miles in the actual race. For example, walking from the corrals to the start line, the finish line to bag pick-up, walking through the parks to get to the buses... keep that in mind when training!

Pack your patience and check your running gels! Consider TSA rules on liquids before packing any hydration or running gels in your carry-on luggage.

Keep in mind that the marathon will still be going on when Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Epcot are opening up for regular park guests. Guests not associated with the marathon may want to make Magic Kingdom their park choice for that morning.

If you are flying to Walt Disney World for marathon weekend, be sure to pack your running shoes in your carry-on bag (and running clothes, if you have the room). If your luggage gets lost, the one thing that you don't want to have to break in race-morning is new shoes!

Read all of the race info and become familiar with how everything works BEFORE the race. It will help you navigate the pre and post areas. Become familiar with race day etiquette as well, this will help you during the race, and you will be helping out your fellow runners as well!

EXPO PLANNING
Make sure you give yourself enough time to enjoy the race expo at the Wide World of Sports complex. There are all kinds of wonderful keepsakes to shop for and special “runDisney” merchandise just for the marathon weekend.

Packet pick-up (where runners go to get their race credentials) is at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex. It's essential you give yourself enough time to get there and pick-up your race materials. We ran into several people last year in the Magic Kingdom and Epcot who thought they could pick-up their stuff at the parks.

If you get to Walt Disney World and discover you forgot a key piece of running gear and you don't have a car - don't worry. The runner's expo has everything you need and each Walt Disney World resort has bus service to and from the expo.

Race expos are fun to check out, but if you are going to buy new running gear at the expo, DO NOT use it for your race that weekend. Wear something you are comfortable in already, that has been tested on one of your long runs.

RACE DAY
for Runners

Think about breakfast! Consider if you can get your normal Pre-race meal at your resort or if you need to bring it with you.

Get a good night's sleep two days before your race because the night before the race you'll be up early and probably won't sleep anyway.

The counter service restaurant opened early at our resort for both the Half and Full marathon mornings, but NOT the 5K morning. Make sure you pick up some snacks the night before so that you aren't starving during the race.

The 5K race starts early enough that it is still dark. If you are doing it as a family, make it more fun and stop at your local Party Store and pick-up some glow bracelets and necklaces for really cheap. This will really help emphasize the "fun" in the 5K Fun Run!

Thank the volunteers! If it weren't for them, we wouldn't have the races.

Because of traffic and the number of people participating in the events, be ready to get on the first bus out of your resort, so you are not stuck in traffic getting to the pre-race area. Because of this, you could potentially be in the pre-race area for a long time. Bring pre-race food and water or power drinks with you.

The Disney races have lots of characters, including many you no longer see in the parks, so make sure you run with a camera.

Don't overdo the parks the morning of a night race, or the day before a morning race. Remember, you want to enjoy the race. If you are in pain even before the race starts, you will not have a great experience.
For colder races, bring clothes to 'toss'. Old sweatshirts, sweatpants, long sleeved shirts, gloves, etc. will help you stay warm before the race, and the clothes tossed on the sides of the racecourse will be picked up, cleaned and donated to charity by Disney.

For the 5K, go out in the first corral. This will allow you plenty of time for character pictures and not worry about any cut-off.

RACE DAY
for Cheerers

You may be able to see your runner twice during the race. Catch your runner as they go through the Magic Kingdom, then jump on the monorail and get to the finish line outside of Epcot.

If you plan to cheer for your runner on Main Street, get there when the park opens for spectators to enter (about 5:30). Spots along Main Street fill up fast, especially near the castle.

For the marathon: If your runner has more than a 10-minute per mile pace (and you don't care about being at the finish line) you can see them twice in World Showcase. Wait by the Rose and Crown in the UK. When your runner goes by, head toward Canada and the World Showcase Plaza. You should be able to see them as they head to Future World.

You can get great unobstructed photos of you and the castle on the race days. Simply go to Main Street to cheer and stay until all runners have passed. Cast members won't rush you out and you'll get fantastic photo ops!

Make sure you know your runner's pace and the course map. This will help you plan your viewing locations and the time it may take to get there.

If you don't catch the buses early as a spectator, be prepared to catch a cab. You really need to be on the buses almost when the runners are.

If you are watching in the Magic Kingdom for the Goofy Challenge on both days: This year the marathon course is the same as the Half Marathon course when it enters the Magic Kingdom. Don't stand in the same place both days. Some recommended spots: The 6 o'clock center of the hub in front of the Partner Statue, by the Tomorrowland Bridge, and the corner of the Emporium facing the runners coming in from backstage.

For taking pictures of your runners, plan to either use a flash or have a low aperture lens for your DSLR.

Caution: The Monorail from the Ticket and Transportation Center (TTC) to Epcot will typically have a long line. The cast members do a good job of moving things along, but you can expect to spend about a half-hour or more at this stop.

Usually the coffee kiosk in the Contemporary is open at 5 a.m. and provides delicious coffee (as opposed to the NESCAFE served in the parks). This means you can grab a latte before you walk into the Magic Kingdom to find your spot to view the race.

AFTER THE RACE
Post-race tip: get up and walk around after the race, it is a good idea to keep your muscles from tightening up. Take a slow stroll around your resort or around Downtown Disney where there are plenty of places to sit down if you need it!

Wear your medals proudly the day of the race, and the day following. You will get congrats from the cast members, other runners, and park guests!

thanks joel , for future , half marthons :)

Ariel484

Did anyone else get an email from runDisney today? The one I got had training tips, links to buy park tickets, etc...it also had a link to the virtual goody big, but you need Flash to look at it and I am on an iPad right now. Maybe there's some good stuff in there but I am not getting my hopes up.

Texas84

Yum! Have you done it before? It's somewhere in Epcot, right?

My pre-race meals are Via Napoli the night before the half and 'Ohana the night before the full...going to try to keep in mind not to each too much at 'Ohana. :)

Countdown to Marathon Weekend is almost in the 30s!!! Maybe they'll post waivers in a couple of weeks??
Our first pasta party. It's in the World Showcase Pavilion between Canada and the UK. I think 'Ohana would be bad for us the night before. :D Thinking about Saturday breakfast at Kona for the big one! That's been on my list.

Did anyone else get an email from runDisney today? The one I got had training tips, links to buy park tickets, etc...it also had a link to the virtual goody big, but you need Flash to look at it and I am on an iPad right now. Maybe there's some good stuff in there but I am not getting my hopes up.
I got the e-mail. I didn't notice anything big. I don't think they do discount tickets in January. I could be wrong. But there was no password in the registration and the travel info doesn't mention tickets. Does anyone know for sure?

Ariel484

Our first pasta party. It's in the World Showcase Pavilion between Canada and the UK. I think 'Ohana would be bad for us the night before. :D Thinking about Saturday breakfast at Kona for the big one! That's been on my list.

I got the e-mail. I didn't notice anything big. I don't think they do discount tickets in January. I could be wrong. But there was no password in the registration and the travel info doesn't mention tickets. Does anyone know for sure?

Yeah, I am definitely going to need to be careful at 'Ohana. It seemed like a good idea when I booked it, but now I wish I had saved it for the night after the marathon. o_O Oh well. The most important thing is that both my brother (who is running with me) and I have eaten there and didn't get sick or anything...I am too paranoid to try a new place the night before.

I am also not impressed with the gift bag. When I ran the Princess Half in 2011 we got mesh drawstring bags with the race logo on them...that must have been right before they started this iGiftBag stuff. All the races seems to be doing that now. I bet it saves them a lot of money...but I want the cool stuff! :p

ETA: don't know anything about the tickets. Last year I remember seeing a link posted somewhere else so I will be on the lookout.

Mad Stitch

I called the 407-WDW-IRUN number and they quoted me at $187 for a two day single park ticket. Disney.com has that same ticket at $176. The same thing happens when you get quotes on a room. Seems like you're better off not booking anything through runDisney.

Mickey&Minnie

Finally got a chance to look at the electronic goodie bag. I might be slightly interested in the Richard Petty driving experience coupon. Has anyone tried this experience before? I don't even know if it is worth it.
Did anyone else see anything they were interested in? I personally like real bags but I understand the concept of having it electronic and cutting down on waste.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom