Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Ariel484

We finally booked our hotel and airfair for Marathon weekend. We'll be staying in a family suite at AoA!

Which section is that? I'm not as familiar with AoA, but I hear the food court is pretty awesome. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I remembered yesterday that I never called to add Magical Express to our reservation, so I did that. Less than 63 days until Marathon Weekend begins!!

Also, just looked on runDisney.com and the 5K is 98% full. Should close up any day now...

Kristia

Which section is that? I'm not as familiar with AoA, but I hear the food court is pretty awesome. :)

And I remembered yesterday that I never called to add Magical Express to our reservation, so I did that. Less than 63 days until Marathon Weekend begins!!

Also, just looked on runDisney.com and the 5K is 98% full. Should close up any day now...
AAAAHHHHHHH!!!! 63 days!! I hope I am ready! Scheduled to do a 20 miler this weekend! :eek:

Ariel484

Ours is actually an 8.5/20 back to back. Since we are doing the Galloway (kind of) we are supposed to walk the 8.5.

Yeah, I think I remember you saying that at some point a few weeks back. :) How do you like the long walks? What's the longest long run in that training plan?

Kristia

We haven't been able to get all the long walks in but they are ok. Kind of boring at times but I don't want to overdo it. Just want to finish both races and hopefully make a better marathon time then my last one (6:45). I started out with an older Galloway Goofy plan that I found online and its longest run was 23. We missed our long run last weekend and when I looked at the newer plan it matched up better with what we missed so I may follow that to the end. It calls for a 26 mile run, but I am not sure we will do that. Guess we will see how we feel.

Ariel484

We haven't been able to get all the long walks in but they are ok. Kind of boring at times but I don't want to overdo it. Just want to finish both races and hopefully make a better marathon time then my last one (6:45). I started out with an older Galloway Goofy plan that I found online and its longest run was 23. We missed our long run last weekend and when I looked at the newer plan it matched up better with what we missed so I may follow that to the end. It calls for a 26 mile run, but I am not sure we will do that. Guess we will see how we feel.

Yeah, that's why I asked about the walks...I don't think I would be able to handle that from a mental standpoint. Same with a 26-mile training run. I understand the perspective of wanting to know you can complete the distance before race day, but for me personally...just not my cup of tea. And I'm totally with you on "just wanting to finish..." mentality. :)

Kristia

Yeah, that's why I asked about the walks...I don't think I would be able to handle that from a mental standpoint. Same with a 26-mile training run. I understand the perspective of wanting to know you can complete the distance before race day, but for me personally...just not my cup of tea. And I'm totally with you on "just wanting to finish..." mentality. :)
I figure that I am more prepared already than I was in 2011. I only completed 2 fifteen mile training runs last time and now we have done a 17. Our times for our 17 this year are so much better than our 15's back for the 2011. Maybe we will start the taper a week early. Going by memory, I think he tapers quickly after that 26. Maybe do a 23 and then a 20? What is you longest run scheduled? What is your taper like?

Ariel484

I figure that I am more prepared already than I was in 2011. I only completed 2 fifteen mile training runs last time and now we have done a 17. Our times for our 17 this year are so much better than our 15's back for the 2011. Maybe we will start the taper a week early. Going by memory, I think he tapers quickly after that 26. Maybe do a 23 and then a 20? What is you longest run scheduled? What is your taper like?

That's awesome that you guys are seeing such a great time improvement! I bet you'll smash your current marathon PR. How's the knee?

I'm using a version of Hal Higdon's Novice 1, same plan that I used to train for the 2012 marathon. The way it's written it maxes out with one 40-mile week, then the taper starts. I'm adding 2 weeks after that 40-mile week - one step-back week and one 40- to 43-mile week (not sure about that yet), then the taper...so it's:

Week of 12/3: 5 miles | 5 miles | 10 miles | 20 miles = 40 miles
Week of 12/10: 5 miles | 5 miles | 10 miles | 14 miles = 34 miles
Week of 12/17: 5 miles | 5 miles | 10 miles? | 20 miles?* = 40-43 miles
Week of 12/24: TAPER! :D

*I'm debating on doing 11 miles/22 miles instead of 10/20 the week of 12/17...I feel like that would really give me a lot of confidence, but I'm just not sure what I want to do yet. Might be a game-time decision. :confused:

Ariel484

Probably should add this too...

Taper schedule:

Week of 12/14: 5 miles | 4 miles | 8 miles | 12 miles = 29 miles
Week of 12/31: 4 miles | 3 miles | 6 miles | 8 miles = 21 miles
Week of 1/7 (!!) : 4 miles | WDW5K!! | WDW Half!! | WDW Full!! = lots of miles

Man, I cannot WAIT for the taper to start...:D

Mickey&Minnie

Wow reading both of yall's training schedule has me in awe. I started out with one and now have been kind of winging it, which I know is not good. The time for my last half was 3:00:33 so I am hoping that my full marathon time will just double that but I know that is probably not going to happen and that I will have to add quite a few minutes to that time. The next race I have on the schedule is a 20 mile trail run and it will probably be my longest run before the race. I figure that if I can do a 20 mile trail run that is to be ran on one of the top rated bike trails in the United States I can run a full on pretty flat asphalt. Especially since again I will probably be running most of this one by myself too.

Today I did 2 miles on the treadmill and then some strength training. It was my first run after the half and it felt pretty good. I think I will run outside tomorrow though. I missed the asphalt and the wind blowing.

Kristia

Probably should add this too...

Taper schedule:

Week of 12/14: 5 miles | 4 miles | 8 miles | 12 miles = 29 miles
Week of 12/31: 4 miles | 3 miles | 6 miles | 8 miles = 21 miles
Week of 1/7 (!!) : 4 miles | WDW5K!! | WDW Half!! | WDW Full!! = lots of miles

Man, I cannot WAIT for the taper to start...:D
I wish I could do those kind of miles during the week! We do 4 miles on Tues and Thurs and our long run on the weekends with a long walk on Sat every 3rd week. My total mileage is not that much with only 8 miles before a long run! The knee is holding up. I feel it during the long runs but once I stop running it is fine. I have been kinesiotaping it which is really helping. I am hoping to really hoping to smoke my last marathon time but not totally sure it will happen with running the half the day before. It's funny...everytime we have a long run of 13 miles or a half marathon, we both say....Ugh, there is no way we could do a full tomorrow! Guess we are gonna have to soon!!!
Wow reading both of yall's training schedule has me in awe. I started out with one and now have been kind of winging it, which I know is not good. The time for my last half was 3:00:33 so I am hoping that my full marathon time will just double that but I know that is probably not going to happen and that I will have to add quite a few minutes to that time. The next race I have on the schedule is a 20 mile trail run and it will probably be my longest run before the race. I figure that if I can do a 20 mile trail run that is to be ran on one of the top rated bike trails in the United States I can run a full on pretty flat asphalt. Especially since again I will probably be running most of this one by myself too.

Today I did 2 miles on the treadmill and then some strength training. It was my first run after the half and it felt pretty good. I think I will run outside tomorrow though. I missed the asphalt and the wind blowing.
Don't feel too bad about winging it! I did the marathon in 2011. We started out with a training plan and tried to stick with it. I hurt my knee and was out of training for 2 months. We got back into it and by the end of December my longest runs had been 2 10 milers and 2 15 milers. We felt pretty good until about mile 17. The last 3 miles of the race were really tough but not un-doable. We walked a lot but finished with time to spare! No sweepers in sight! If you are able to work up to a 20 mile race you should be good. And yes, trail running is definitely harder! Your marathon time will probably be a bit more than double your half time because the second half of a marathon is the tough part! Your 20 miler will give you a better idea of what to expect your time to be in the marathon.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict

Everything but the Little Mermaid section of that resort is family suites.

Here is the lion king one.

Ariel484

How did your trail run go? I haven't run a trail race (yet) but I hear it's good to do trail runs every once in awhile because the trail will be softer on your joints than running on asphalt or concrete.

As for the training schedule - I am, like, the definition of a Type A personality. If I don't have the training planned out I'll freak out. It's all laid out in a Google Doc. :)

I wish I could do those kind of miles during the week! We do 4 miles on Tues and Thurs and our long run on the weekends with a long walk on Sat every 3rd week. My total mileage is not that much with only 8 miles before a long run! The knee is holding up. I feel it during the long runs but once I stop running it is fine. I have been kinesiotaping it which is really helping. I am hoping to really hoping to smoke my last marathon time but not totally sure it will happen with running the half the day before. It's funny...everytime we have a long run of 13 miles or a half marathon, we both say....Ugh, there is no way we could do a full tomorrow! Guess we are gonna have to soon!!!

I think the weekly mileage would drive me nuts, but I've started running in the mornings before work and it has helped SO much. It makes me feel less like training is taking over, ya know? How's the knee doing this week??

I bet you WILL smoke your last marathon time. Just the fact that you have done it before and know what to expect should help a lot, especially from a confidence aspect. That's what I'm hoping for me, anyway. I think it's already helped a lot with training, that I've done it once and know I can do it again. :)

Everything but the Little Mermaid section of that resort is family suites.

Here is the lion king one... [snip] ...

Thanks for the video...it looks awesome!! :)

Ariel484

In other news...

the 5K is two months from this past Sunday (and is sold out!).
the half is two months from yesterday.
the full is two months from today.

:eek:

And this may sound weird, but now that that W&D Half is done and Marathon Weekend is the next runDisney event coming up...it just seems that much closer to me. EEK! :eek:

Kristia

In other news...

the 5K is two months from this past Sunday (and is sold out!).
the half is two months from yesterday.
the full is two months from today.

:eek:

And this may sound weird, but now that that W&D Half is done and Marathon Weekend is the next runDisney event coming up...it just seems that much closer to me. EEK! :eek:
A super big Eeek is definitely in order!! My knee is good but I didn't get to run my 20 miler this weekend. I had a situation that had to take precedent so the 20 miler is pushed to next weekend. Hopefully I will have no more unexpected hiccups in training! I only got in a 6 miler on Sunday night.

Ariel484

A super big Eeek is definitely in order!! My knee is good but I didn't get to run my 20 miler this weekend. I had a situation that had to take precedent so the 20 miler is pushed to next weekend. Hopefully I will have no more unexpected hiccups in training! I only got in a 6 miler on Sunday night.

Right...I remember reading that in the other thread. A 6-miler is better than nothing! :) I hope you guys are able to get it in next weekend.

LindsayLoves

In other news...

I thought about that this weekend during my long run, it definitely makes it seem right around the corner. I have to start thinking about what I'm going to wear. :p

Mickey&Minnie

How did your trail run go? I haven't run a trail race (yet) but I hear it's good to do trail runs every once in awhile because the trail will be softer on your joints than running on asphalt or concrete.

My trail run is next weekend. It's always the saturday after thanksgiving. Im am nervous but I have at least started to run on trails to try my shoes out unlike last year.

I thought about that this weekend during my long run, it definitely makes it seem right around the corner. I have to start thinking about what I'm going to wear. :p

I have been thinking about what to wear as soon as I signed up. Still have no idea:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom