Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

MKCP 1985

They have yet to beat the Donald medals from 2009-11, but it isn't the medal as much as what it represents. I'd be proud to own any of them! I have medals for 2009 and 2011.

2011_WDW_Half_Medal1.jpg

Mad Stitch

I didn’t like the dangles they used during those years. Give me a solid piece of bling.

Someone pointed out in the Facebook comments that the anniversary year medals are the ones that get the color. That never occurred to me before, and looking back at the previous medals she is right. I guess the full medal will have some color in 2013.

Ariel484

Well...its a little better than the drawn image but still meh about it.

I agree that the picture of the actual medal is better than the drawn one. I still like it better than last year's...which I REALLY didn't like.

They have yet to beat the Donald medals from 2009-11, but it isn't the medal as much as what it represents. I'd be proud to own any of them! I have medals for 2009 and 2011.

I love this style of medal. I agree with you, definitely better than the newer ones.

Ariel484

I didn’t like the dangles they used during those years. Give me a solid piece of bling.

Someone pointed out in the Facebook comments that the anniversary year medals are the ones that get the color. That never occurred to me before, and looking back at the previous medals she is right. I guess the full medal will have some color in 2013.

Hmm...for whatever reason I'm not a fan of color on the Disney medals. I guess we'll see what they come up with.

MKCP 1985

It doesn't have to be an anniversary year. For the Mickey Mouse medal of 2011, there was a vote which included a colorized Mickey Mouse medal shown below.The one piece used in 2011 and 2012, shown below on the right won over the voters.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...1-walt-disney-world-marathon-finishers-medal/

disneymedal.jpg
waltdisneyworldmarathon.jpg

dreamfinder

Well, if they stick with that style, they will technically have a new medal design each year to update the year....... It's not bad, but the die cut edge gave it a little more personality.

Mad Stitch

It doesn't have to be an anniversary year. For the Mickey Mouse medal of 2011, there was a vote which included a colorized Mickey Mouse medal shown below.The one piece used in 2011 and 2012, shown below on the right won over the voters.

Not saying it isn't possible, just seems to be the past trend.

Ariel484

Not saying it isn't possible,just seems to be the past trend.

And speaking of...

After runDisney posted the cover photo for the half someone on Disboards did a little detective work and figured out the link for the marathon cover photo.

So here is the cover photo (whatever those are...I guess you use them for your Facebook profile picture?) for the marathon...and I guess here's the medal!

level5cover.jpg

My guess (hope) is that it's a spinner (i.e. 2-sided)...and the more I look at it the more I like it. I LOVE the quotes around the edges. The only thing I'm so-so on is the pointy "20 years" part at the bottom. But I guess they had to put it somewhere.

Also, here's the cover photo for the 5K:

523251_509502532409047_952576983_n.jpg

So I guess we should assume this is what the 5K medal looks like? If that's the case, I'm SO signing up for this. The Fab 5 plus Daisy?! LOVE. I was guessing the 5K would be Brave-themed since that's Disney's most recent movie, but I guess it got bagged due to celebrating the 20th.

Thoughts?!

ETA: Since I can't find it anywhere else, here's the cover photo for the half marathon in case anyone wants it. I hope they post one for Goofy soon!

level4cover.jpg

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Looking at the pic, it's possible that it's a double spinner...with both the pic of mickey and the quotes ring spinning.....truly awesome.

Mad Stitch

That’s hilarious! Disney should know better than to create those pages before they are ready for the reveal. If that is the medal I love it, especially the old school Mickey! I agree with the double spinner theory. I saw a rumor somewhere that the 5K would be fab 5 themed, so I think your correct Ariel. I hope I get to see this medal in person at the Disneyland Half Marathon Expo in two weeks.

Ariel484

That’s hilarious! Disney should know better than to create those pages before they are ready for the reveal. If that is the medal I love it, especially the old school Mickey! I agree with the double spinner theory. I saw a rumor somewhere that the 5K would be fab 5 themed, so I think your correct Ariel. I hope I get to see this medal in person at the Disneyland Half Marathon Expo in two weeks.

Yeah...with all the trouble they're going through to make people wait for the reveal, you'd think they would be more careful. It was literally a matter of changing "level4cover" in the file name to "level5cover" or something like that. :D I hope you get to see the medal in person!

Mad Stitch

Well, the Facebook page now says the medal will be reveled in the next day. I wonder if this leak made them decide to do it sooner than planned.

LindsayLoves

The Run Disney site has had a major overhaul. Much nicer looking and I would say more user friendly. The youtube clip for the marathon medal isn't working yet but it should be on there so you don't have to bother with facebook.

Also if you haven't registered yet they are lowering the price to the early registration price for a 20 hour sale so it will be back down to $150 until tomorrow at noon. I think they might be trying to sell this thing out quick!

Ariel484

The Run Disney site has had a major overhaul. Much nicer looking and I would say more user friendly. The youtube clip for the marathon medal isn't working yet but it should be on there so you don't have to bother with facebook.

Also if you haven't registered yet they are lowering the price to the early registration price for a 20 hour sale so it will be back down to $150 until tomorrow at noon. I think they might be trying to sell this thing out quick!

Wow! The site looks really nice. It'll take some getting used to...I noticed that:

1.) They have a BLOG link now, so I'm curious to see what they do with that. Hopefully they'll update it as much as they update their Facebook page...
2.) No link to that Runner's World program, unless I missed it.

The discount thing was leaked yesterday also (I forgot to post it)...what I'm wondering is how many people are going to be ticked that they registered between June 20 and today having paid $170 and not gotten that discount. Oh well. I think you're totally right that they want to sell out ASAP. If I remember correctly the races didn't sell out until right before marathon weekend (if they actually "sold out" at all...I'm not convinced that they were close to selling out and just wanted to close registration to finalize things).

Thanks for the heads up! I was using an old bookmark so I probably would have never seen the update otherwise. :p

LindsayLoves

Wow! The site looks really nice. It'll take some getting used to...I noticed that:

1.) They have a BLOG link now, so I'm curious to see what they do with that. Hopefully they'll update it as much as they update their Facebook page...
2.) No link to that Runner's World program, unless I missed it.

The discount thing was leaked yesterday also (I forgot to post it)...what I'm wondering is how many people are going to be ticked that they registered between June 20 and today having paid $170 and not gotten that discount. Oh well. I think you're totally right that they want to sell out ASAP. If I remember correctly the races didn't sell out until right before marathon weekend (if they actually "sold out" at all...I'm not convinced that they were close to selling out and just wanted to close registration to finalize things).

Thanks for the heads up! I was using an old bookmark so I probably would have never seen the update otherwise. :p

Right as you posted I saw the blog link and was a bit bummed that there was nothing on there yet :(

My brother went to his old bookmark too and thought I was crazy and had secret access to a beta site.

I love the countdown clocks, I have my own on my phone but love that they added it to the site to build excitement.

Can't wait to see the medal! I really hope it's the one you posted earlier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom