Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Kristia

I will definitely hold off on any purchases for now and see what they have to offer at the expo. I might be a little more free with my spending though as I will be all pumped for the race which could be a bad thing..

How much time should we budget for the expo? I think we have plans to go on Thursday after a day at Animal Kingdom (so maybe 5pm-ish) and before heading over to MK for the evening. Is it worthwhile spending more than an hour, obviously this will be based on how packed it is as well.
It maybe pretty crowded on Thursday because Goofy, half and full marathon racers will be picking up packets. I think it took us about 20 min just to pick up our packets on the Saturday before the full. There are a lot of vendors there (not just Disney merchandise) so it really depends on how much you want to see. You could easily spend an hour or more just looking at the vendors if that is what you are interested in.

Ariel484

I will definitely hold off on any purchases for now and see what they have to offer at the expo. I might be a little more free with my spending though as I will be all pumped for the race which could be a bad thing..

How much time should we budget for the expo? I think we have plans to go on Thursday after a day at Animal Kingdom (so maybe 5pm-ish) and before heading over to MK for the evening. Is it worthwhile spending more than an hour, obviously this will be based on how packed it is as well.

I agree that it really depends on what you want to see...if you like browsing you can spend an hour there, easily.
I just looked at the time stamps from pictures I took at the 2012 expo...it has me arriving at about 2:15PM and leaving at about 3:30. Of course, this was on Saturday, so only non-Goofy marathoners and marathon relay people were left. Thursday (when I'm planning to go this year) may be a an entirely different situation. :(

Also keep in mind that transportation to/from the expo will take some time, too...you'll want to budget for that as well.

Mad Stitch

It maybe pretty crowded on Thursday because Goofy, half and full marathon racers will be picking up packets.

Don't forget the 5K runners will be there on Thursday to pick up their packet for their race early Friday morning.

That expo was so crowded when I was there I just wanted to get out as fast as possible.

Ariel484

Don't forget the 5K runners will be there on Thurday to pick up their packet for their race early Friday morning.

That expo was so crowded when I was there I just wanted to get out as fast as possible.

Oh, right. Forgot about the 5K-ers!

From the runDisney Facebook page:

runDisney said:
Chicago... Chicago... We've almost caught up to Donald to reveal his new Half Marathon medal, part of the Level 4 unlock of the Great Medal Caper, now just a few steps away! Help us athttp://on.fb.me/MweHCS* so we can give him his new medal tonight!

We'll see if they actually reveal it...I guess that means even longer of a wait for the marathon medal.

Witchy Chick

Don't forget the 5K runners will be there on Thurday to pick up their packet for their race early Friday morning.

Oh, right. Forgot about the 5K-ers!

Thaaaaaanks!!! :p

In addition to 5K-ers, I (and others?) might be picking up race packets for the kids' races. Our kids are running Thursday afternoon; I would guess all kids running Thurs or Fri would need packets picked up on Thurs. Sat kids' race packets could be picked up Thurs or Fri.

Sounds like the Expo on Thurs will be a bit of a madhouse. :eek:

Witchy

Ariel484

In addition to 5K-ers, I (and others?) might be picking up race packets for the kids' races. Our kids are running Thursday afternoon; I would guess all kids running Thurs or Fri would need packets picked up on Thurs. Sat kids' race packets could be picked up Thurs or Fri.

Witchy

SORRY! :( ;) I might be one of those 5K-ers this year...waiting on them to announce the theme!

Witchy Chick

SORRY! :( ;) I might be one of those 5K-ers this year...waiting on them to announce the theme!

I'm just teasing. :)

If I have the "medal reveal" info correct, the half-marathon medal is Donald-related? Bummmmed, since I love Donald. I hope the 5K medal is something good. And if one of my kids get a Donald medal for the kids' races, I will trade with them. :D

Witchy

fruitfruit

At the Peachtree Road race this year we stopped by the RunDisney booth and we asked them about the 5K theme and they said it was going to be The Fab 5. I hope that's true!
There are 5 of us doing the 5K and I am going to make them dress up!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
We'll see if they actually reveal it...I guess that means even longer of a wait for the marathon medal.
It looks like they are about to hit level 4, at which point they'll reveal the donald medal. Then when they hit level 5, they will reveal the Mickey Medal.

Ariel484

I'm just teasing. :)

If I have the "medal reveal" info correct, the half-marathon medal is Donald-related? Bummmmed, since I love Donald. I hope the 5K medal is something good. And if one of my kids get a Donald medal for the kids' races, I will trade with them. :D

Witchy

Yep. Donald = half, Mickey = full, Goofy = ...Goofy :p

I am pretty sure the kids' races get Mickey medals.

At the Peachtree Road race this year we stopped by the RunDisney booth and we asked them about the 5K theme and they said it was going to be The Fab 5. I hope that's true!
There are 5 of us doing the 5K and I am going to make them dress up!

OMG...*faint* the fab 5 would be amazing! I hope it happens and you guys come up with sweet costumes!

It looks like they are about to hit level 4, at which point they'll reveal the donald medal. Then when they hit level 5, they will reveal the Mickey Medal.

Ah, ok...gotcha. Thanks! :)

Mad Stitch

Witchy

Ha! I thought of the kids races but wasn't sure if they had packets to pick up.

dreamfinder

Time is a real toss up. I've had to wait 5 minutes in line to buy merch, and I've waited 30 mins to buy merch. I've walked right up to the booth to checkin/register, and I've had to wait 15 mins just to get to the area where the booths are. Walking through the expo if up to you. If you want to see the vendors and what they have, I'd plan on 15-30 minutes at least. If you want to any shopping for running gear, easily add more time on for that. I've walked through the expo with no real crowds or lines, I've also had times where I've needed to pull off the side to drink water cause it's so hot from being packed with humanity.

An hour should be sufficient to check in and get your race stuff. But remember to allow time for transit as well.

Mad Stitch

2013-walt-disney-world-half-marathon-donald-medal.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom