Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

dreamfinder

Sounds like they are looking to hit "X" number of likes to progress towards the reveal. The first part of the "reveal" is the ability to have your picture from a past Run Disney event somehow integrated/displayed in January. I'd wager it will have something to do with the magical mile 20 setup. A slide show of past pictures, or some massive sculpture decorated with the pictures.....

Mickey&Minnie

Sounds like they are looking to hit "X" number of likes to progress towards the reveal. The first part of the "reveal" is the ability to have your picture from a past Run Disney event somehow integrated/displayed in January. I'd wager it will have something to do with the magical mile 20 setup. A slide show of past pictures, or some massive sculpture decorated with the pictures.....

Yeah I saw this. Too bad this will be my first RunDisney event and don't have a picture to add. That would have been neat.

lukacseven

Yep. SO annoying.
Personally, I'd rather wait until the finish line to see the medal - maybe have it available to see at the Expo, but this whole Facebook nonsense is exactly that. I don't care enough to take the time to play their games when they're probably going to unveil the medal design on a given date anyway. I get what they're trying to do, but it's lame.

Mad Stitch

Personally, I'd rather wait until the finish line to see the medal - maybe have it available to see at the Expo, but this whole Facebook nonsense is exactly that. I don't care enough to take the time to play their games when they're probably going to unveil the medal design on a given date anyway. I get what they're trying to do, but it's lame.
I don’t want to play their games either. They will reveal the medals when they are ready, regardless of how many people “like” them. I’m just saying there should be another way communicate this and allow people who are not on Facebook to submit pictures for race weekend.

dreamfinder

I don’t want to play their games either. They will reveal the medals when they are ready, regardless of how many people “like” them. I’m just saying there should be another way communicate this and allow people who are not on Facebook to submit pictures for race weekend.

I think they will come out with an alternate method. As of now, they really haven't posted any information about what the pictures will be used for, or how they will be used beyond being on a "digital memory board", which sounds like a slideshow to me. Some people were complaining that there was no real use policy posted about what they were giving Disney rights to do with the pictures.

That aside, it looks like Donald has hit 4 locations so far. Area 51, San Antonio, San Francisco, and St Louis. Someone was saying something about "steps" that he needed to take? Probably just the likes, and that he was at like 5,000 out of 25,000. This is all I can gleam from the publicly available comments, no FaceBook fan here.

Texas84

It seems that Disney is again selling marathon weekend stuff on their website:

http://www.disneystore.com/rundisney/mn/1000855/?catalogFromSearch=10002

Personally I'm a little "meh" on what they have in the online store...I think I'll wait for the expo. For anyone considering buying one of the Champion tech tees, be careful with what size you get. I've read reviews of other Disney Champion tech tees that complain that they run small.
Agree with the 'meh' but at least they are trying! Wish I would have bought a few more of the 2011 Half Donald running cap. That is still my daily run cap.

Kristia

Personally I'm a little "meh" on what they have in the online store...I think I'll wait for the expo. For anyone considering buying one of the Champion tech tees, be careful with what size you get. I've read reviews of other Disney Champion tech tees that complain that they run small.
Yeah, I agree. Hoping they have lots more good stuff at the expo. I will be there early this time since we are doing Goofy! By the time we got there for our first marathon, lots of stuff was sold out.

dreamfinder

Now what they should do, is keep a few of each size at the expo. Let people try them on, and then order them. This way the stuff that runs out come Friday/Saturday can still be sold to runners in the sizes they want, and Disney doesn't end up with tons of extra merch sitting around.

I do hope they have more stuff at the expo though. Still bummed at the lack of a event specific polo last year. And the fact that the merch lineup looks pretty much the same as last year, and the year before that, and the year.........

LindsayLoves

What kind of gear do they normally have at the expo that isn't in the disneystore site?

I'm glad I held off on the auto magnet (even though I don't have a car) I will definitely get the specific 26.2 for 2013 magnet to keep at work to help motivate!

Kristia

What kind of gear do they normally have at the expo that isn't in the disneystore site?

I'm glad I held off on the auto magnet (even though I don't have a car) I will definitely get the specific 26.2 for 2013 magnet to keep at work to help motivate!
They just have a lot more choices and designs usually. Sometimes they have a couple jackets or hoodies. They also have the "I did it!" type shirts although I didn't get one because I didn't want to jinx myself! :) Now that I have one under my belt, maybe I will get one in 2013. They usually have a plush character, key chains, coffee cups...etc.

Ariel484

Agree with the 'meh' but at least they are trying! Wish I would have bought a few more of the 2011 Half Donald running cap. That is still my daily run cap.

Yeah, I agree. Hoping they have lots more good stuff at the expo. I will be there early this time since we are doing Goofy! By the time we got there for our first marathon, lots of stuff was sold out.

Yeah, I liked how they had the "In training..." shirts for the specific races a few years back. I hope this isn't what the stuff at the expo will look like...just not my cup of tea.

Now what they should do, is keep a few of each size at the expo. Let people try them on, and then order them. This way the stuff that runs out come Friday/Saturday can still be sold to runners in the sizes they want, and Disney doesn't end up with tons of extra merch sitting around.

I do hope they have more stuff at the expo though. Still bummed at the lack of a event specific polo last year. And the fact that the merch lineup looks pretty much the same as last year, and the year before that, and the year.........

I've never understood why they don't put stuff up for people online. It seems like an easy way for them to make more $$...whether it's from people that didn't have a chance to get certain things that were sold out or from someone that didn't get something but decided they wanted it later. That's happened to be at both races I've run...and I've heard that they take all of the extra stuff (whether it's what is sold at the expo or the shirts you get for signing up for the races themselves) and sell them at Orlando-area outlets. Why not make that available for runners online?

They just have a lot more choices and designs usually. Sometimes they have a couple jackets or hoodies. They also have the "I did it!" type shirts although I didn't get one because I didn't want to jinx myself! :) Now that I have one under my belt, maybe I will get one in 2013. They usually have a plush character, key chains, coffee cups...etc.

Yeah, the line-up is just totally different. Recently they have only had generic runDisney stuff online...nothing race specific. I remember being really pleased with the variety of stuff last year. There are also booths from many other companies at the expo (Brooks, Nike, Sweaty Bands, etc.) where you can get running stuff that's either discounted or normally only available online.

And of course they are still playing their little medal game...I check their Facebook page once a day (if I remember) and it's still going. I hope they wrap it up by the weekend...o_O

dreamfinder

They typically replicate the merch for Goofy, Mickey, and Donald. Usually a t-shirt, a tech t, a hoody, womens tech, womens wind breaker jacket deal, 2 different pins, shot glass/toothpick holder, picture frame, wine and beer glass, vinylmation, hat, magnet, and it looks like now maybe a necklace/bracelet type thing. Then a bunch of I Did It! tshirts, a pile of RunDisney gear (similar to the above list) and In Training..... techs for upcoming races.

I've never understood why they don't put stuff up for people online. It seems like an easy way for them to make more $$...whether it's from people that didn't have a chance to get certain things that were sold out or from someone that didn't get something but decided they wanted it later. That's happened to be at both races I've run...and I've heard that they take all of the extra stuff (whether it's what is sold at the expo or the shirts you get for signing up for the races themselves) and sell them at Orlando-area outlets. Why not make that available for runners online?

They do send the extra stuff to the Outlets. Saw ToT 13k tech shirts at one ages ago, so like 7 bucks. Only in XXL or something similar though.

Still never figured out why they don't do more with the merch before/after.

LindsayLoves

I will definitely hold off on any purchases for now and see what they have to offer at the expo. I might be a little more free with my spending though as I will be all pumped for the race which could be a bad thing..

How much time should we budget for the expo? I think we have plans to go on Thursday after a day at Animal Kingdom (so maybe 5pm-ish) and before heading over to MK for the evening. Is it worthwhile spending more than an hour, obviously this will be based on how packed it is as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom