News Walt Disney World and other major Disney accounts stop posting on social media platform X

Figment1984

The only difference is the US government can’t access TikTok
It's bizarre that they even need to create laws about what should be accessed on a government-owned device. In all of the companies I work for, they were very strict to only allow software that was pre-approved by IT and Security.

Why in the world people in the government are downloading TikTok, Facebook, Angry Birds, whatever on their work device is a whole other topic that boggles the mind.

It is different - because the US based companies you are referring to are not required to hand their data over to the CCP, and those US based companies can be regulated and face enforcement from US government.

If you can't tell the difference between the CCP having said data, and a US entrepreneur... then you need to get some more experience before passing judgement.
The Cambridge Analytica example I shared shows that a US-based company (Facebook) misused that data, was providing it to foreign entities, and very little enforcement was done when they were caught. I do understand your point. I am not trying to minimize the issues involving the CCP or TikTok.

Prince-1

I sound like someone who recognizes how horrible social media has been for society. Particularly young people.

Funny, that sounds like what old people said about that loud rock and roll music and just like how that generation turned out fine so will this one.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's bizarre that they even need to create laws about what should be accessed on a government-owned device. In all of the companies I work for, they were very strict to only allow software that was pre-approved by IT and Security.

Why in the world people in the government are downloading TikTok, Facebook, Angry Birds, whatever on their work device is a whole other topic that boggles the mind.
Because work isn't confined to just the enterprise device anymore. Unless you are on a classified network, data moves pretty freely across boundaries and devices. The power of the browser and what it can do is far greater than in the past (and attempts to keep it in a silo continue to fail). Which is why you see more and more moves away from simple 'VPN' or 'network' access to actually requiring BYOD devices to run client side policies and enforcement before being allowed to interact as well.

The Cambridge Analytica example I shared shows that a US-based company (Facebook) misused that data, was providing it to foreign entities, and very little enforcement was done when they were caught. I do understand your point. I am not trying to minimize the issues involving the CCP or TikTok.
Absence of punishment is vastly different from immunity/untouchable. Plus, these projects like Vine and tiktok have been egregious in their data mongering... not just exceptional in how they try to use data or sell it.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Funny, that sounds like what old people said about that darn loud rock and roll music and just like how that generation turned out fine so will this one.
You’re comparing rock music to the negative effects social media has had on society? Is this real life?

Cyber bullying. Suicide. Body shaming. The rise in depression. Trying to meet Impossible expectations. Lack of real, meaningful relationships. It was designed specifically to be addictive. There is data to back up how bad it’s been for mental health.

Last edited:

asianway

You’re comparing rock music to the negative effects social media has had on society? Is this real life?

Cyber bullying. Suicide. Body shaming. The rise is depression. Trying to meet Impossible expectations. Lack of real, meaningful relationships. It was designed specifically to be addictive. There is data to back up how bad it’s been for mental health.
I can’t even imagine growing up in this age

Prince-1

Cyber bullying. Suicide. Body shaming. The ride is depression. Trying to meet Impossible expectations. Lack of real, meaningful relationships. It was designed specifically to be addictive. There is data to back this all up.

Sorry to tell you but bullying and body shaming has been happening way before social media started. Now it definitely has added a new layer to how people can be cruel to each other but everything you just listed occurred before TikTok, Facebook, etc was even a thought.

And I was comparing how people actually thought that rock and roll music decades ago was going to destroy the youth of that age to how people think that social media will destroy the youth of today. It didn’t happen then and it won’t happen now.

Drdcm

Also true but every generation has its own new set of issues and problems that they have to face that previous ones couldn’t imagine. With that being said it doesn’t make it easy for those who have to figure it all out.
So by this logic everything is fine? It’s just like rocks and roll right?

Figment1984

@BadLegalTakes

China doesn't have First Amendment protections. American companies do.
Are you replying to the wrong post? I’m talking in terms of data privacy laws, not the first amendment. Banning TikTok under the guise that it is harvesting data is a bandaid solution to the overall problem. Either pass a law that says no foreign firms can harvest data or don’t. Don’t play this wack-a-mole game with apps that get popular.

Crunchie9

TikTok will be shut down in the United States within 5 years. It's a bona fide national security threat.
That’s interesting that you say that. I’m curious to know why. I am a public employee (Canadian) and we are not allowed to have it on our phones. I remember it to be a pretty big deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom