News Walt Disney World and other major Disney accounts stop posting on social media platform X

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
As a marketer, I’m surprised that Disney spent much ad budget on Twitter/X. It’s the least effective social media network for that. Hoping they got it as a free “value-added” bonus from their media agency for spend on FB/IG/YT/TT.

Stripes

Premium Member
This is such bloviating garbage 'journalism.' While I have no doubt that Musk's comments drew increased attention to Disney's aggressive stance in the 'culture war,' the article they cite in the post references the tweet as their source, as well as the word 'canceled' trending on X last night.

The best you can say is that a bunch of people said they are canceling their subscription, but there's no way to tell (at this time, at least) if they actually followed through, or if they were just 'blowing smoke.' After all, try explaining to your six year old that you canceled their Disney+ subscription because Elon told you to.
If it was actually causing people to cancel their subscriptions, I think that would be reflected in Google Trends.

There hasn’t been a remotely significant increase in searches for canceling Disney Plus since the Musk comments.

Stripes

Premium Member
I’m thankful Iger is refocusing the company on ensuring quality over quantity and placing entertainment value over messaging. Disney’s recent films just haven’t been very entertaining. In fact, over the past 4 years, I’d say their TV show track record has been much better than their films. I think the strategy he has laid out will succeed and turn the studio‘s performance around.

While I do not think a supposed boycott is having any impact on Disney’s financial performance, I do not want the company embroiled in controversy. I don’t think Iger does either.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Another major player has joined Disney is seems

Dec 1 (Reuters) - Walmart (WMT.N) said on Friday it is not advertising on social media platform X, one of the latest brands to say it has dropped the Elon Musk-owned site.

"We aren't advertising on X as we've found other platforms to better reach our customers," a Walmart spokesperson said.

X, formerly known as Twitter, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

AEfx

The evidence that the culture issues is affecting Disney’s financial performance is nonexistent.

You just avoided the entire great big elephant in the room - Disney's movies are tanking. One after another after another. It's the biggest news in the film industry right now.

I'm not getting into broader culture war issues - as I said, no matter what your opinion on the validity or not of them, Disney has alienated a significant segment of the core audience that has always gone to Disney films because they were Disney (or Marvel, and so on).

Barbie is actually a wonderful example - so is Super Mario Brothers. People will go out to the theaters, for both licensed and family fare, but they aren't going to Disney's movies. While assuredly there are a lot of factors in how wacky the theatrical business is, it's pretty striking that Disney can't even hit one these days.

When you intentionally alienate a chunk of your core audience, and they say they aren't going to your films - and you are doing so by pandering to an audience that isn't showing up, either - it's not a mystery why Disney's films are performing the way they are.

denyuntilcaught

You just avoided the entire great big elephant in the room - Disney's movies are tanking. One after another after another. It's the biggest news in the film industry right now.

I'm not getting into broader culture war issues - as I said, no matter what your opinion on the validity or not of them, Disney has alienated a significant segment of the core audience that has always gone to Disney films because they were Disney (or Marvel, and so on).

Barbie is actually a wonderful example - so is Super Mario Brothers. People will go out to the theaters, for both licensed and family fare, but they aren't going to Disney's movies. While assuredly there are a lot of factors in how wacky the theatrical business is, it's pretty striking that Disney can't even hit one these days.

When you intentionally alienate a chunk of your core audience, and they say they aren't going to your films - and you are doing so by pandering to an audience that isn't showing up, either - it's not a mystery why Disney's films are performing the way they are.
You're right, it's not a mystery, but I think directly equating Disney's weakness at the box office as a result of "alienating half an audience" (which I think is an overstatement) is a false correlation.

Extreme franchise fatigue reflective of a lack of creativity at Disney.
Shift in Disney's audience to being accustomed to waiting until the film drops on Disney+.
Disney's box office films lacking that cultural cache, unlike Barbie, Super Mario, etc.

All tangible, measurable, and meaningful reasons why the films have flopped. Iger saying "we'll quiet down" is just as much lip service as everything else he's said. He said "the right wants to play at surface level where feelings matter more than facts? let's meet them there, so here."

But the issues at the studios are routed in shifting viewing behaviors and, more importantly, a lack of creativity in general. The movies simply aren't that good.

el_super

While assuredly there are a lot of factors in how wacky the theatrical business is, it's pretty striking that Disney can't even hit one these days.

How are you so certain that the bigger cause of this is alienation versus all the other factors facing the theater business? Is there some study or survey done? Anything that gives a figure? I think it's fair to say it played a part, but that part could be anywhere from 50% of the problem all the way down to 3%.

Stripes

Premium Member

Disney is still the highest grossing film studio this year, despite poorer quality films, in my opinion, as well as the relationship that Disney+ has on the incentive to go to the theater. Disney’s film slate in 2024 looks far stronger with Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, Inside Out 2, Deadpool 3, and Mufasa (which thankfully will be a new story instead of a remake).

By the way, I’m not even going to Disney’s films in the theaters and I’m a massive fan of the company. I’m waiting for them to come out on Disney+. I wanted to see Elemental very much, but waited until it was on Disney+. If Disney wants to make money at the box office they need to reconsider these shortened timelines for Disney+ releases. Or perhaps reconsider Premier Access at higher prices.

I’m also going to see Wish…on Disney+.

Last edited:

Brian

Another major player has joined Disney is seems

Dec 1 (Reuters) - Walmart (WMT.N) said on Friday it is not advertising on social media platform X, one of the latest brands to say it has dropped the Elon Musk-owned site.

"We aren't advertising on X as we've found other platforms to better reach our customers," a Walmart spokesperson said.

X, formerly known as Twitter, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
I guess they turned off their auto reply. Previously, the media inquiry inbox would auto reply "💩"

AEfx

How are you so certain that the bigger cause of this is alienation versus all the other factors facing the theater business? Is there some study or survey done? Anything that gives a figure? I think it's fair to say it played a part, but that part could be anywhere from 50% of the problem all the way down to 3%.
I'm not certain it's "the biggest". But posts here keep dismissing it totally, like it just doesn't exist and isn't part of the discussion because they don't agree with those people on why they are choosing not to give Disney their money. Folks have this way of over-stating the impact of one side while completely dismissing the other, and it's just not logical. Especially when, like it or not, the side they are dismissing is well known to be a core part of the Disney audience.

I do think it is significant, and really strange to just gloss over. Especially given that even Bob Iger seems to be coming around to it publicly.

Stripes

Premium Member
He has said that the studio needs to put entertainment before messaging because their recent films haven’t been very entertaining. Someone would be a fool to disagree. He has said he doesn’t want the company embroiled in controversy. Again, plainly obvious.

He was asked if the fight with DeSantis was deterring park attendance and stated unequivocally: “No, we see no sign of that.”

Last edited by a moderator:

AEfx

Give me a quote where Bob Iger states that the “culture war” is hurting Disney financially.

He has said that the studio needs to put entertainment before messaging because their recent films haven’t been very entertaining. Someone would be a fool to disagree. He has said he doesn’t want the company embroiled in controversy. Again, plainly obvious.

Um, what part confuses you? He wasn't just pontificating about the world - he was explaining why the films have been tanking. Tanking films = hurt financially, especially when Disney is spending $250M/picture just on production costs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom