News Walt Disney World and other major Disney accounts stop posting on social media platform X

Trauma

Whether you agree with him or not, his posts are substantive and thoughtful. To dismiss them as “walls of text” is unfair and inaccurate.
I think Stripes can defend himself just fine.

He is thoughtful.

However since I find the entire premise of his recent posts to be wildly inaccurate I had no choice but to dismiss them entirely.

Luckily for me he has already replied back and I get to continue my discourse with him.

Trauma

Give me a quote where Bob Iger states that the “culture war” is hurting Disney financially.

He has said that the studio needs to put entertainment before messaging because their recent films haven’t been very entertaining. Someone would be a fool to disagree. He has said he doesn’t want the company embroiled in controversy. Again, plainly obvious.

He was asked if the fight with DeSantis was deterring park attendance and stated unequivocally: “No, we see no sign of that.”
I need you to explain this to me as if I’m in 3rd grade.

You just posted quotes by Bob admitting that the culture war is hurting Disney, in an attempt to prove that it is not.

Clearly I am missing something so I’ll await further explanation.

el_super

But posts here keep dismissing it totally, like it just doesn't exist and isn't part of the discussion because they don't agree with those people on why they are choosing not to give Disney their money.

People are dismissing it because hot-takes like this are ignoring that people ARE still giving Disney money. Plenty of it. The parks are doing amazing business all over the globe and Disney+ subscriptions are also growing.

So if people are shunning Disney, why are they only shunning the forms of entertainment predominantly still utilized by way older generations of people? Is it just a coincidence?

el_super

You just posted quotes by Bob admitting that the culture war is hurting Disney, in an attempt to prove that it is not.

Saying it's true doesn't equate to a call to action or even a need to act. I can point out that extreme weather is a risk to park attendance, but that doesn't mean I am going to prioritize building a dome around MK.

Stripes

Premium Member
Um, what part confuses you? He wasn't just pontificating about the world - he was explaining why the films have been tanking. Tanking films = hurt financially, especially when Disney is spending $250M/picture just on production costs.

Disney’s movies have always had positive messages. Frankly, I can’t think of a single one that doesn’t. Iger was explaining that the problem the studio has had recently is focusing too much on the message instead of the entertainment, which is the cause of poor reviews and poor word of mouth. The entertainment should have a positive message, as all Disney films do, but first and foremost it needs to be entertaining. That’s the problem, and it’s what Iger meant.

But, I think the poorer quality films is only one half of the problem. Good films like Elemental would have much higher box office figures if the expectation was that Disney+ wasn’t going to release the film until much later. Disney lost out on $75 from our family alone because we waited to see it on Disney+ which we’re already paying for. Disney+ is also one of the most subscribed streaming services in the U.S. only behind Netflix and Amazon Prime, neither of which are associated with the big studios.

And they lost out on another $75 because we’re waiting to see Wish as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trauma

Saying it's true doesn't equate to a call to action or even a need to act. I can point out that extreme weather is a risk to park attendance, but that doesn't mean I am going to prioritize building a dome around MK.
If that’s the case why did he say it at all?

el_super

If that’s the case why did he say it at all?

See above (or maybe it a different thread... they're all the same now)... he is under pressure to indicate that things can be fixed and highlighting the fact that only he can fix it now.

I don't recall if you ever answered my previous question: if you do believe he is sincere in changing the direction of movie output, does that mean you want him to stay on now as permanent CEO?

Trauma

See above (or maybe it a different thread... they're all the same now)... he is under pressure to indicate that things can be fixed and highlighting the fact that only he can fix it now.

I don't recall if you ever answered my previous question: if you do believe he is sincere in changing the direction of movie output, does that mean you want him to stay on now as permanent CEO?
Let’s not deflect, let’s focus on the topic hand.

You say his words are not a call to action.

You also say that he is highlighting that he can fix things.

So if what is being done now isn’t being well received, how does he plan to fix things without changes ?

Bob Iger iust doesn’t say things that pop into his head.

His words had a message and I find it impossible to believe that the message was “It’s not working so we are going to keep doing it anyways”.

eliza61nyc

So if what is being done now isn’t being well received, how does he plan to fix things without changes ?

His words had a message and I find it impossible to believe that the message was “It’s not working so we are going to keep doing it anyways”.
Lol why, that's exactly what they've been doing. At least for the parks. I'm not a huge movie goer so I wouldn't move the dial any way 😁😄

I don't think Bob gives a rats papoose about what anyone else thinks. Just me

el_super

It is part of the topic at hand. Do you want Bob Iger to stay at Disney? If not, than what he said shouldn't have any meaning to you at all.

Of course he does. He is human right?

At this point we don't know the full extent of what he meant or how that will translate into change. He has basically suggested he knows and understands the problem, but again, hasn't offered any concrete path toward change.

Saying "I know what the problem is" does not equate to "we are going to stop making films with this specific type of messaging." He hasn't said that yet. He certainly hasn't done that yet.

Saying "I know what the problem is" also helps assure those that have an interest in seeing these problems resolved (the shareholders). Even if he does have an idea of what needs to happen, doesn't mean he will be successful in implementing it.

But of course, none of this matters if he is going to be replaced in a year or so.

Stripes

Premium Member

Clearly Iger is making changes at the studio. Many of their films have been poorer quality and not very entertaining recently. The studio needs some changes and I’m glad Iger is addressing them.

My disagreement lies in the claim that there‘s a significant percentage of potential moviegoers that are boycotting Disney movies because they’re Disney movies and that is a significant cause of their relatively poor box office performance compared to prior years. That’s nonsense.

Elemental was still the fifth most streamed movie across all streaming services 6 weeks after it was released on Disney+, according to the latest data from Nielsen. People are watching Disney’s good films, but many are more than willing to wait if they’re already subscribed to the relevant streaming service in order to save money, I think especially on movies for the whole family where the cost of tickets adds up.

Migration, Illumination’s latest flick, is currently tracking a $13 million 4-day opening. And the trailer actually looks good, IMO. If this figure holds, I think the era of big budget animated films may be in jeopardy.
IMG_0548.jpeg

Last edited:

Drdcm

his saying "lol i'm autistic" feels more like an attempt at a get out of jail free card than an actual genuine explanation - and i'm saying this as someone who is autistic
I wasn’t saying it’s an excuse. I was actually explaining why I’m not surprised an autistic person with an ego the size of Texas and billions of dollars would repeatedly say stupid and socially inept things. As someone with autism and unlikely to have that degree of money and narcissism, it’s probably safe to say that you wouldn’t behave like him because you know it is inherently wrong and that it is obviously not appropriate in any situation. Now think about him growing up, being told he’s a genius, never having to worry about getting along with a boss or coworkers and being able to get everything he could ever want due to massive inherited wealth… that kind of person isn’t going to have any clue how their words are going to impact others… and they aren’t going to care.

As such, he should be admonished. The narcissism is treatable, the autism and social skills less so at this point.

I am quite literally an expert on this subject. I diagnose and do neuropsychological testing as a living and perform social rehabilitation therapy for autistic kids… or at least did before I moved on to treating veterans.

Figment1984

In other news, Walmart is the most recent company to announce they’re pausing advertising, stating "we've found other platforms better for reaching our customers."

Apparently this decision was in the works long before the drama, which gives more weight that companies are leaving because they no longer see the value in Twitter, rather than the political drama (though I’m sure that’s a factor that they smartly aren’t admitting).

Considering Walmart spends $2.7 billion annually on advertising (not just Twitter), I’m sure that’s gotta hurt.

asianway

Does anyone want to explain what the “messaging” is that’s such an issue in Little Mermaid, The Marvels, Wish, or any other Disney film released in 2023? Let’s be clear about what we’re discussing.
The problem with little mermaid is the same as maleficent, Return of Jafar and everything in between, lazy filmmaking.

Marvels looks good, I haven’t really looked into Wish yet

Drdcm

Does anyone want to explain what the “messaging” is that’s such an issue in Little Mermaid, The Marvels, Wish, or any other Disney film released in 2023? Let’s be clear about what we’re discussing.
Polygon trashed wish, which I thought was interesting because they’re one of the most progressive video game/media news sites I’ve come across.

They felt like the plot was written by an AI with instructions not to offend anyone.

I haven’t seen it yet, and intend to this weekend. I’m not even remotely condoning the review or agreeing with its sentiment. I just thought it was fascinating coming from them.

Casper Gutman

The problem with little mermaid is the same as maleficent, Return of Jafar and everything in between, lazy filmmaking.

Marvels looks good, I haven’t really looked into Wish yet
The Marvels is very enjoyable.

I don’t like the live-action remakes at all, but TLM is no lazier then Lion King or Jungle Book, which made boatloads of cash.

In any case, the movies being lackluster isn’t what we’re told is the issue. It’s the “messaging.” What is the “messaging” in those films?

VJ

I wasn’t saying it’s an excuse. I was actually explaining why I’m not surprised an autistic person with an ego the size of Texas and billions of dollars would repeatedly say stupid and socially inept things. As someone with autism and unlikely to have that degree of money and narcissism, it’s probably safe to say that you wouldn’t behave like him because you know it is inherently wrong and that it is obviously not appropriate in any situation. Now think about him growing up, being told he’s a genius, never having to worry about getting along with a boss or coworkers and being able to get everything he could ever want due to massive inherited wealth… that kind of person isn’t going to have any clue how their words are going to impact others… and they aren’t going to care.

As such, he should be admonished. The narcissism is treatable, the autism and social skills less so at this point.

I am quite literally an expert on this subject. I diagnose and do neuropsychological testing as a living and perform social rehabilitation therapy for autistic kids… or at least did before I moved on to treating veterans.
that is true about the money and narcissism aspect, the thing that i'm hung up on is how he's trying to use his diagnosis as a shield against criticism when, like you said yourself, it's not an excuse. in my experience, having autism doesn't automatically make one an a-hole like elon is - like you said, that's something else, and that's all I've been trying to say

Drdcm

that is true about the money and narcissism aspect, the thing that i'm hung up on is how he's trying to use his diagnosis as a shield against criticism when, like you said yourself, it's not an excuse. in my experience, having autism doesn't automatically make one an a-hole like elon is - like you said, that's something else, and that's all I've been trying to say
Yep we’re in agreement. Just wanted to clear the air on what I actually meant… not defending the guy lol

Stripes

Premium Member
Didn’t Iger lay it out for you Elon? It’s because of YOU. None of these companies want to be associated with YOU and your engagement with conspiracy theories and racism. Not to mention, the ROI on their investment is terrible. You also told your prospective advertisers the other day to bleep themselves and commanded them “Don’t advertise.”

He has single-handedly destroyed the company. There’s no going back. The richest man in the world and one of the most accomplished humans on the planet is imploding in front of our eyes.

IMG_0550.jpeg

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

He has single-handedly destroyed the company. There’s no going back. The richest man in the world and one of the most accomplished humans on the planet is imploding in front of our eyes.

The sad part is Musk will be fine, they could close X tomorrow and he’ll still have a couple hundred Billion in worth. The several thousand employees in San Fran won’t be so lucky, nor will San Fran itself.

Reports are many of them are quitting already so it may not matter either way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom