News Walt Disney World and other major Disney accounts stop posting on social media platform X

AEfx

Because TikTok is SO much better of a platform... :facepalm:
It is kind of funny if Disney is in fact doing that - boycotting a platform that allows people to type a sentence or two that you may disagree with, versus an app that has far more insidious intentions and does way more harm on a consistent basis by intentionally targeting, manipulating, and radicalizing people with viral videos.

celluloid

I think it is likely because there is more critique and negative repsonse to their product and services than praise. It just fuels it.

It is all silly.

el_super

All that aside, none of it is really relevant at the end of the day, as Disney was clearly just looking for an excuse to pull out of X because it is permitting speech which previously was not permitted on any other major social media platform.

Or, more likely, the number of views/engagement they are seeing has fallen off sharply with the decline in twitter users, and Disney doesn't see value in it anymore. Disney wasn't the first advertiser to bail. The writing there has been on the wall for awhile.

SpectroMagician

I was listening to a tech podcast this morning and they mentioned that Twitter is barely making enough money to cover the interest on the money they borrowed, so unless Elon intends to fund the company himself, which he could do, they are going to have problems staying afloat.
They were losing billions per year before he bought it and they were about to go out of business. He has actually come close to returning them to profitability.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I stopped posting on Twitter earlier this fall because it just became a disgusting cesspool from all angles. It's been 30 days and my mental health has greatly improved because of it. Obviously Disney PR stopping their posts isn't the same and is arguably a "virtue signal" but the point still stands. Twitter has became a sad and hollow shell of its once glorious self. It used to be my favorite social platform.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Apparently that's the kind of content Disney wants their content appearing next to.
All platforms, including this one, end up hosting vile things posted by their users. It’s pretty much impossible to find a corner of the internet free of such nastiness, which, of course, is not to excuse it. Anything supporting hatred or terror is deplorable and unacceptable.

But what we’re dealing with here is something else, namely the actions of the platform’s owner. That changes things in ways that are pretty obvious, regardless of whether you agree with Disney’s decision or not.

Brian

All platforms, including this one, end up hosting vile things posted by their users. It’s pretty much impossible to find a corner of the internet free of such nastiness, which, of course, is not to excuse it. Anything supporting hatred or terror is deplorable and unacceptable.

But what we’re dealing with here is something else, namely the actions of the platform’s owner. That changes things in ways that are pretty obvious, regardless of whether you agree with Disney’s decision or not.
That's just free market capitalism. Certainly Disney is entitled to decide where they spend their money based on any criteria they please. It doesn't mean I have to agree with their rationale... it's just another example of why Disney is, sadly, a joke these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom