News Walt Disney World and other major Disney accounts stop posting on social media platform X

denyuntilcaught

As someone who would very much like for the roles to be swapped (X on the rise, TikTok fledgling), it's simply not the case. I view TikTok as a cesspool of some of the most dangerous and harmful "trends" on the internet, and that's not even taking into account its links to the CCP. Unfortunately, their algorithm is top notch and keeps people scrolling, so that's where the ad money will go.
I agree with you to an extent, but public perception is everything. I think where TikTok is where extremism is sparked, X is where it's festered and reinforced due to the echo chamber nature of the platform. To me, although TikTok's trends are harmful for a variety of reasons (i.e. perhaps don't pull pranks on strangers for dangerous reasons), X has openly cultivated a platform for hate speech and extremism at scale. It's horrifying.

Get rid of both and we'd be in a better place as a society, IMO.

Drdcm

I used to see suicidal children who were fed content glamorizing depression and suicidal thinking on tik tok over and over again.

Then I would see kids who were bullied on twitter and Facebook.

They’re all bad for different reasons. YouTube might be the shining exception and it isn’t really even social media.

Brian

No idea never been on TikTok except to follow a Disney parks link.
How does it differ from twitter?
I suspect it would cross the line of off topic/politics to go into it, but it is covered extensively in many non-main stream media outlets. A quick search should yield what I'm referring to, but I'm trying to be on good behavior.

Prince-1

TikTok will be shut down in the United States within 5 years. It's a bona fide national security threat.

So far in the last two days I've learned on here that Media Matters will be going out of business due to Musk's "thermonuclear" lawsuit against them and now TikTok is soon to be DOA in the US. I guess time will tell for both of these predictions.

Fido Chuckwagon

So far in the last two days I've learned on here that Media Matters will be going out of business due to Musk's "thermonuclear" lawsuit against them and now TikTok is soon to be DOA in the US. I guess time will tell for both of these predictions.
Let’s not forget the gem that “Everyone is canceling Disney+ because Musk told Disney to go **** themselves.” That might have been the best one.

Figment1984

This isn't new news. US lawmakers on both sides have been looking to potentially ban the app due to national security risks. And some lawsuits ongoing here and there as well...will take a while to all play out.
TikTok will be shut down in the United States within 5 years. It's a bona fide national security threat.
In 2014 Facebook allowed the data harvesting of 87 million accounts, half of which were from the U.S., which were then used to impact global elections. Congress asked the dumbest questions imaginable, gave Zuckerberg a stern "don't do that again" warning, and basically let the company and all who were involved walk away. I'm sorry to say but I have zero expectations that anything will happen to TikTok other than for them to continue shouting empty threats.

Banning TikTok isn't the solution. All big tech companies are collecting massive amounts of data and TikTok is no outlier. Whether China has access to this data is no different than a US company having it and misusing it as I just described. Unfortunately, I don't see any laws being passed about this since a majority of the people in charge probably think internet cookies are a yummy treat.

asianway

In 2014 Facebook allowed the data harvesting of 87 million accounts, half of which were from the U.S., which were then used to impact global elections. Congress asked the dumbest questions imaginable, gave Zuckerberg a stern "don't do that again" warning, and basically let the company and all who were involved walk away. I'm sorry to say but I have zero expectations that anything will happen to TikTok other than for them to continue shouting empty threats.

Banning TikTok isn't the solution. All big tech companies are collecting massive amounts of data and TikTok is no outlier. Whether China has access to this data is no different than a US company having it and misusing it as I just described. Unfortunately, I don't see any laws being passed about this since a majority of the people in charge probably think internet cookies are a yummy treat.
The only difference is the US government can’t access TikTok

JoeCamel

I have seen content through links to TikTok but never loaded the program, am I missing the fun of endless scrolling or is my life devalued? I guess I just am not part of the TT demo.
All the platforms have huge problems but where a buck is to be made there are no altruists so we all devolve

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I have seen content through links to TikTok but never loaded the program, am I missing the fun of endless scrolling or is my life devalued? I guess I just am not part of the TT demo.
All the platforms have huge problems but where a buck is to be made there are no altruists so we all devolve
You’re smart. Don’t start.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Maybe he will come back if we all apologize.
IMG_0789.jpeg

flynnibus

Premium Member
Banning TikTok isn't the solution. All big tech companies are collecting massive amounts of data and TikTok is no outlier. Whether China has access to this data is no different than a US company having it and misusing it as I just described.
It is different - because the US based companies you are referring to are not required to hand their data over to the CCP, and those US based companies can be regulated and face enforcement from US government.

If you can't tell the difference between the CCP having said data, and a US entrepreneur... then you need to get some more experience before passing judgement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom