Walls Now Up for Little Mermaid-Ariel''s Undersea Adventure

sponono88

First pictures are starting to come in, several models and concept art on display. the disney parks blog has a look at one of the models for the Under the Sea scene:

uts927169LARGE.jpg

Next in Disney California Adventure Park – The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure: This is the next big milestone in the ongoing expansion of Disney California Adventure park, and we’ll be sharing more news here on the blog in the coming weeks. Today, we’re sharing one of the models from the “Under the Sea” scene for the new attraction. The Little Mermaid attraction, set to debut in 2011, will give new meaning to the phrase “immersive Disney attraction” by taking guests “under the sea” to experience magnificent scenes and magical songs from the popular motion picture.

Track layout

4691145282_efeb01104b_b.jpg

sponono88

Additional pictures from the BSC, by MintCrocodile

897597741_yaas4-L.jpg

the building should look amazing - the facade will feature art glass, tile work, and sculpted murals

897598646_36xa4-L.jpg

its inspired by seaside buildings like this one

897598235_XBAUJ-L.jpg

ride vehicles

897602570_4viJa-L.jpg

model for the attraction

897600697_y5QCx-L.jpg

"Under The Sea"

897601192_gq8YR-L.jpg

disneysroyal411

Does anyone think that this could have been a little more, like longer or something? I feel we lost a little bit. I don't think four minutes sounds long enough to me. :shrug:

sponono88

^ I actually think they did a great job designing the attraction to fit within the limited space they have in this area of DCA. Except for Under The Sea scene, the show scenes are kept pretty tight and narrow which should make for a more intimate ride experience. It's certainly not one of Disney's biggest rides, but it promises to be a pretty fun experience with detailed sets and AAs.

Keep in mind that the ride is replacing a film attraction that had very low guest attendance. I loved Golden Dreams, but it just never saw the crowds that TLM is expected to receive. So for most people.. the length of the ride isn't that big of an issue, seeing that its replacing an attraction that the majority of guests never cared for in the first place.

Of course this doesn't apply to the MK, where they had a bigger size of land to work with.. and instead they are cloning the layout that was initially designed for DCA.

disneysroyal411

^ I actually think they did a great job designing the attraction to fit within the limited space they have in DCA. Except for Under The Sea scene, the show scenes are kept pretty tight and narrow which should make for a more intimate ride experience. It's certainly not one of Disney's biggest rides, but it promises to be a pretty fun experience with detailed sets and AAs.

Keep in mind that the ride is replacing a film attraction that had very low guest attendance. I loved Golden Dreams, but it just never saw the crowds that TLM is expected to receive. So for most people.. the length of the ride isn't that big of an issue, seeing that its replacing an attraction that the majority of guests never cared for in the first place.

Of course this doesn't apply to the MK, where they had a bigger size of land to work with.. and instead they are cloning the layout that was initially designed for DCA.

That's kinda what I meant just all together, but... Anyway. WDW had a bigger space I bet and I feel that some scenes just won't get the justice that they deserve. I surely don't think that the kiss the girl scene or the under the sea scene will get the just they deserve. It just doesn't seem long enough. Then again, I'm just a little picky and kind of against how they are doing this Fantasy Forest. I wish that they had something thrilling put in there. TDO is kind of messing us up, us Disney loving guys and gals that need something new. I'm a guy and don't plan on going to a princess meet'n'greet.

Grizzly Hall 71

That's kinda what I meant just all together, but... Anyway. WDW had a bigger space I bet and I feel that some scenes just won't get the justice that they deserve. I surely don't think that the kiss the girl scene or the under the sea scene will get the just they deserve. It just doesn't seem long enough. Then again, I'm just a little picky and kind of against how they are doing this Fantasy Forest. I wish that they had something thrilling put in there. TDO is kind of messing us up, us Disney loving guys and gals that need something new. I'm a guy and don't plan on going to a princess meet'n'greet.

^^^^^^^ Agreed. MK needs 1 more thrill ride at least instead of 10 "interactive" meet n greets.

TP2000

DCA Little Mermaid = Replaces cheap movie attraction very, very few people enjoyed.

WDW Little Mermaid = Replaces original 10 minute long E Ticket ride that was replaced by vacant land for the past 15 years.

Yeah, there's a big difference in how the Little Mermaid is being positioned within each existing park. At DCA this can be seen as nothing but a huge improvement for the park. At Magic Kingdom, it can be seen as too little, too late for Fantasyland.

But for DCA, this ride is going to be great! :sohappy:

sponono88

Nice! The arch is sort of like the trademark of the building they took inspiration from (the Ocean Park building in Venice Pier).

here are more pictures from insider67, looks like they brought back the big crane to do the job

4752601140_7ef527b91f_b-1.jpg

TP2000

We have an arch! The Mermaid building and Paradise Park are going to match up beautifully when done.

http://twitpic.com/21kcd5

Awesome pic! After seeing the great detail work they poured into a simple ride like Silly Symphony Swings last month, I realized this Mermaid building is going to be beautifully finished and detailed!

I've also noticed the glass barrel roof they are installing all along the edges of this building. And now this arch suddenly making Paradise Park look even more graceful and elegant.

This is going to tie that entire section of the park together and really make it go POP! from a visual design standpoint! :sohappy:

TP2000

According to Al Lutz today on Miceage, the Little Mermaid ride will NOT have Fastpass at DCA! That makes me very happy, as Fastpass generally annoys me at most attractions.

Al Lutz said they are putting Fastpass in on the WDW version opening in 2012, but the DCA version open next May will not have Fastpass. :sohappy:

sponono88

MiceChat member Kritter was able to catch a glimpse of the new AAs, they're being built by Garner Holt

got to see the finale Ariel and Eric waving goodbye today for TLM: AUA!!!!

They blink, move there arms and hands side to side, move their torso's, heads... They wave good bye and look at each other while waving and then go back to look out at us. and their hair looks really plasticy, but amazing!

Anything new going on at the Little Mermaid construction site? I've seen updates for cars land and the new park DCA is building, but no mention of mermaid for a while!

sponono88

Anything new going on at the Little Mermaid construction site? I've seen updates for cars land and the new park DCA is building, but no mention of mermaid for a while!

Construction at TLM is still going full speed, although most of the work now is happening inside. Work continues on the exterior, but so far no major changes here

1010528000_4fqoM-M.jpg

1010528846_7bS9i-M.jpg

It is almost fully enclosed:

P1012752.jpg

P1012710.jpg

sponono88

Construction update (12/7)

Wide view of the building

IMG_0283.jpg

They have shifted around the scaffolding, part of the building has been uncovered

IMG_0182.jpg

This is the side of the building that faces San Francisco Street

IMG_0195.jpg

Scaffolding now covers the main arch at the front of the building

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

image source: Dateline Disneyland

Finally, here's a look at two renderings of the Mermaid building from WDI

mermaid.jpg

mermaid2.jpg

source: http://www.ladesigntech.org/newsletter_20100819.html

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom