Walls Now Up for Little Mermaid-Ariel''s Undersea Adventure

TP2000

Those computer renderings are neat to see! I hadn't seen those before.

Something tells me when this building is done and fully accesorized and detailed, that it's going to be extremely pretty.

TP2000

They have shifted around the scaffolding, part of the building has been uncovered

IMG_0182.jpg

It will be fun to compare the before and after here, once this is done.

This little pocket of DCA was done so cheaply and plainly back in '01. "San Francisco" had restrooms that were just a stucco box with some faux windows and molding tacked on to it. No curbs or street surfaces out in front, cheap light fixtures both on the building and plopped into the cement pad, modern fixtures and railings that destoyed any attempt to make this structure look genuine, no street furniture or anything extra added to the "street" scene.

San Francisco Street Restrooms, DCA Circa 2001-07
IMG_0647.jpg

sponono88

Al Lutz has an update on construction progress and news of possible soft-openings by Easter:

At the same time the walls are going up early Tuesday morning around the letters, the walls surrounding the Little Mermaid show building will be pushed out further to allow for the finishing work on the façade and queue to get underway.

It may be hard to believe looking at the exterior now, but the interior of the 100 Million Mermaid attraction is nearly complete. The big scenes have been installed and are being detailed, the dozens and dozens of animatronics of all sizes have been set in place, the complete lighting and digital special effects rigs in the ceiling are being adjusted, and the audio speakers are in place. The Omnimover system is effectively installed and by the time you read this in early January the first full cycling of the ride system will be underway, although at a very slow pace to begin with. Not all of the 100+ clamshell vehicles have been plugged into place on the track, but that’s an easy process later this winter once they have confirmed the clearances are right at all speeds and angles with the few test vehicles currently on site.

While the Little Mermaid isn’t going to rewrite the book on theme park rides the way Pirates of the Caribbean or Indiana Jones Adventure did when they debuted, the top-notch quality and slick immersive eye candy this expensive ride will provide should be a big hit by the time soft openings begin, right now looking to happen just around Easter vacation.

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al010411a.htm

TP2000

Amazing to think there's a nearly finished Little Mermaid ride sitting inside that building right now!

I want a special Annual Passholder Sneak Preview Walking Tour of the ride building! :D

juan

Just an FYI:

As of Friday 1/14, the tarps and scaffolding are down on the San Fran side.
There is still more work to do on that side up on the curved roof portions.

sponono88

Construction update (1/16)

They are almost finished with enclosing the building

IMG_5314.jpg

Completing the framework for the building exterior

IMG_5318.jpg

Busy at work behind the walls..

IMG_5462.jpg

Paint and other finishing details being added to this side of the building

IMG_5290.jpg

Part of the roof has been installed, as well as new popcorn lighting

IMG_5300.jpg

photos from MiceChat's Dateline Disneyland

sponono88

Very nice! They're making great progress inside the building, can't wait to see it all come together in just a couple of months :D

nemofinder22

Original Poster
Possible soft openings near Easter time????

http://miceage.micechat.com/

Editor's Note 1/21-22: The exact date in May for the grand opening of the lavish new Mermaid ride is still being decided by Anaheim and Glendale execs due to marketing quibbles with re-opening Star Tours around the same time, but the big DCA facility is quickly moving towards a fully completed interior. A new promo video just showed up on the Disney Parks Blog with some footage shot last month inside the attraction. Soft openings of the 100 Million dollar ride are still pegged for around Easter time, regardless of how Star Tours impacts the official grand opening date. - Al Lutz

sponono88

A preview of the TLM building at night

P1012926.jpg

Blacklight model of Ursula

P1012892.jpg

The art glass marquee will be located at the Palace of Fine Arts rotunda

P1012964.jpg

P1012963.jpg

A look at the materials and architecture

P1012895.jpg

all pictures are from the MiceChat Blue Sky Cellar update.

sponono88

TLM building looks like it is going to be gorgeous!

This reminds me of something I've been thinking about...I wonder if TLM is going to go down during WoC.

Good question.. not sure how they will handle that. I don't think it'll be too much of a problem since it's behind the viewing area. Maybe they'll bring down the lighting a bit? The attraction will be very popular (especially in its first year) so I don't see them turning away guests at night.

nemofinder22

Original Poster
A preview of the TLM building at night

P1012926.jpg

all pictures are from the MiceChat Blue Sky Cellar update.

Something must be up with the glass at night, the castle is there now... concept art of course but....hmmmm

I can't wait till the work is finished and we can finally see the Mermaid building and Paradise Park look as one.

sponono88

The following pictures are from today's MintCrocodile Blue Sky Cellar update

The TLM section includes artwork, sketches, diagrams, even a section of the glass that will form the entrance marquee (in addition to the two models not pictured here)

1170464947_9bntR-M.jpg

Interior show scene design

1170477782_phQvM-M.jpg

1170480110_Avof7-M.jpg

The Mermaid building at night

1170475352_sJ2V5-M.jpg

Stills from the Cellar video show the intricate layout and design of the building, layer by layer

1170497552_dwyxd-M.jpg

1170498159_Z6Xqb-M.jpg

1170498319_xUSCq-M.jpg

1170498759_eJ7gz-M.jpg

Painting of the 86-ft long mural has begun

1170515563_vTxtG-M.jpg

The mural will be the backdrop of the loading area

1170516553_5swgW-M.jpg

Visit Mint's blog to see the full set of pictures: http://mintcrocodile.blogspot.com/2011/01/blue-sky-cellar-little-mermaid-and-more.html

a2grafix

All right, I am highly debating scheduling another trip to Anaheim later this year, or by 2012. From what I saw of DCA in October in the rain - my first time at DCA - I was impressed with the progress.

The Little Mermaid and CarsLand attractions are sealing the deal for me. Bravo Disney.

sponono88

They're making very nice progress here

1176800174_fHXsF-M.jpg

With the walls now up, it's much easier to see the defined shape of the arch

1176794428_GS8DB-M.jpg

The side of the building that faces SanFran street has received a new circular stained glass window

1176800354_CEqfK-M.jpg

Very nice!

1176800583_jiwSK-M.jpg

Seashells and other designs are showing up behind the tarps

1176794992_5LvQV-M.jpg

1176797504_G2Nb2-M.jpg

Preparing to install the art glass entrance marquee

1176784252_CpNC6-M.jpg

1176782856_BHDmw-M.jpg

source: MintCrocodile

nemofinder22

Original Poster
A little update on the building

first 3 photos from donlandduckfan1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donlandduckfan1/

Ariel's sisters will be on the arch-

061 (4) by donaldduckfan#1, on Flickr

049 (5) by donaldduckfan#1, on Flickr

048 (5) by donaldduckfan#1, on Flickr

Next 2 photos from Mintcrocodile-
http://mintcrocodile.blogspot.com/2011/01/blue-sky-cellar-little-mermaid-and-more.html

In the concept art you can see the arch with the sisters-
1170477124_TjJGB-M.jpg

http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/photos/1170477124_TjJGB-X3.jpg

1170498928_sjy5V-M.jpg

http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/photos/1170498928_sjy5V-X3.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom