Walls down - Fantasyland soft opening status

doctornick

I asked this in another thread, but never saw an answer. Apparently, there was FPs distributed for LM. Where are the FP machines for this ride?

muteki

Why?

I'm specifically asking why 80% is too much, what number would be better than that, and what the reasoning is based on anything better than gut feeling.

Remember the system is designed to allow people to get on up to 8.5 attractions in 10 minutes or less.

Nothing more than a gut feeling here. Just a "wow that seems high." I can't pretend to have any numbers or reasoning as to what it should be, but from the outside looking in, that is a lot. Is 80% still necessary to keep the fast pass line at a reasonable length even after the return times are enforced?

I don't think any particular number is "correct", but it seems to me that you give more or less leeway to the FP side depending on it's length, which can change. If 80% is necessary to accomplish this, one would think you would need to give out less fastpasses.

The idea I'm getting is that the corporate strategy is to create artificial demand (in the form of longer wait times via increased fastpass presence) in order to sell the XPass system (ride reservations) in the near future (which will be the supposed payoff for the $1b next-gen investment). The new interactive queues popping up everywhere are to keep the non-XPass/Fastpass line-waiters less aggravated.
Now that would just suck.

doctornick

To be more specific they are distributed from Philharmagic using the old dumbo FP machines next to pooh distribution.

That's what I figured, but I hadn't seen it confirmed anywhere. Thanks!

Long term, Mermaid should have its own machines (across the walkway next to 7DMT). Is Pooh getting machines somewhere closer to the actually ride as well?

If so, I wonder what they will re-purpose the Philharmagic machines for in the future.

Neverland

Is it really 80% fastpass at the merge? That much? I can understand 20%, but if you are having to dedicate 80% of your throughput to fastpass then you are giving out too many.

Actually, FPs for each hour are usually only 30-60 percent of the capacity for that hour. So if 1000 people can ride an attraction in one hour, 300-600 would have had FPs (in a perfect world where there are no downtimes and no passes that get people in the FP line, like GACs or GR tour guides). The percent varies from attraction to attraction. Peter Pan's is pretty high, and Mermaid's is actually sort of low for now (but downtimes and GACs make the FP line long). The 80-20 thing people are talking about is how many people are taken from each line (and it's not specifically 80 people to 20 people, it's just 4x). Since FP has priority, their line must move faster. Many times, the FP queue and the standby queue are the same length, but the big difference is that FP moves 4x faster. If they took 10 from Standby and 10 from FP, both lines would move at the same speed and FP would be useless. Even if it was 15-10, FP would still be slower than it should be. The goal is for anyone with an FP at any ride to wait less than 5 minutes. If the FP line is long, the ratio can be upped in favor of FP until it goes back to normal.

Why was the ride down 1/4 of the day yesterday?

Lots of reasons. I don't mean that it had one big 3 hour downtime, I just mean that it went down so many times, that all those smallish downtimes added up to being about a fourth of the day. There was a 3 and a half hour downtime today though.

Also, I have to ask - Magic Kingdom Fastpass paper or new "Little Mermaid" fastpass paper?

Magic Kingdom paper. :( I'm disappointed.

NowInc

I got really lucky yesterday and happened to walk into the new fantasyland at around 8:45ish and the wait time for the little mermaid was only 5 minutes. Rode it and took a TON of pictures that I will be posting asap (I took over 2000...so it may take a bit).

PeterMarcus

Ooh, lucky you! We were there yesterday (Sunday) about 3pm, and LM was down and the CM said it would be at least an hour before it was up again. We had plans at Food and Wine, so didn't get to do it. Also, we did Belle, which was fun, but at one point while we were waiting in line it was down for about 20 minutes (luckily we were in the air-conditioned house at that point). The CMs said: "Maurice is tinkering with the equipment and it'll be back up in a few minutes". So, they are definitely still in "Dress Rehearsal" mode.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
it does seem odd the CM's could be on the other side of the planters doing the preview and go nana nana boo boo you can't come through this planter and then the guests could decide to crash the party and climb through the planters to get to the beer but some guy might have the word beer on his shirt and then they would know he's not a cast member and try to kick him out at which point they might all jump in the waterfalls or escape through a magic mirror or something like that...just say'in it seems odd.
I hope you're not pregnant, because it seems that you missed several periods.

Piebald

Won't bother reading through, but stopped by mk yesterday and mermaid was not open. Had a long line of folks waiting outside. Didn't bother with that and checked out the rest of the expansion. Everything looked great, Gaston surprisingly didn't have a huge line, bog looked very nice. Didn't do enchanted tale since it was 50 min and my gf was sick.

I wouldn't show up for this until I know its open for sure. Kind of disappointed mermaid wasn't running but alas that is soft openings.

Mawg

I hope you're not pregnant, because it seems that you missed several periods.

It wouldn’t have come across as a mindless rant if it had periods. It seems someone came up with a good joke and was just dying to find a place to use it. Nice job, it is a funny joke!

Grumps

I was able to walk on to Ariel's ride last night during the MNSSP. Walked through the BYG restaurant (well went in the front entry), did Belle's, met Ariel, and then went on her ride. Probably around 11ish last night.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thought I'd post my souvineer from that fateful day:

image.jpg

KitchenKabaret

I will be at MK on Friday. Is the area expected to be still at "soft opening" status then? I know there's a post that said it started on the 12th and will continue for a week, but I wasn't entirely clear on what that meant.

Rob562

I will be at MK on Friday. Is the area expected to be still at "soft opening" status then? I know there's a post that said it started on the 12th and will continue for a week, but I wasn't entirely clear on what that meant.

This Friday will most likely be the last day of the current guest sneak preview/dress rehearsal period. CM previews start on Saturday.

-Rob

Grumps

I spoke to a very friendly and sociable ;) CM the other night and she said that they would still be doing tests on Friday.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
New Fantasyland is currently open, but Gaston's is closed for filming. Mermaid 10min wait, Belle 20mins. BoG not open for viewing.

There are also film crews moving in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom