Walk-Ins at MK restaurants?

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I just read a tip on allearsnet.com about walking into an MK restaurant after Spectromagic and being able to get a table even without a reservation because it's so late (and you don't have to endure the after fireworks exiting crowds). Can you still do this, and what are the odds of getting a table? (particularily at Cinderella's Royal Table...though that's a long shot I know)

tigsmom

Though we have never tried to eat after Spectro (or that late), I know that most of the restaurants are almost always booked far in advance. It can take almost an hour to get food at counter service places sometimes. I would imagine that CRT would be impossible to walk into at just about anytime, that is one of the most popular of all places.

Not MK, but when we were at LeCellier this past March we heard them telling people there were no open spots for at least a month (so there were no spots open at any hour of the day- from open to close).

You could always ask, but have a Plan B, just in case.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
CRT there's no hope at any time of day, it's booked solid virtually year-round.

Depending on what time of year you're there, this might work, but I doubt it would in high-traffic times or during free dining plan. Most people booking ADRs [except obsessive folks like us] don't book based on when parades or fireworks are, they book the time closest to when they want to eat that's available when they call.

GoofyMom2

I went in early Dec last year (a very slow time of year) and decided in the AM that I wanted to do a sit-down at MK (I was travelling solo). All the sit-downs in MK were already booked for the rest of the day! I was quite surprised with it being so slow. Oh well :shrug:

I enjoyed a nice burger from pecos Bills......

As stated above, you can try it but have a plan B.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
thanks for the info everyone. DDP sure is great, no lines for rides but restaurants? Always packed. I'm glad I made my ADR for the places I absolutely want already.

It's hard to tell with some places though, I asked for a table for 4 at Sci-Fi Dine In, and only 4:50 pm was available. But breakfast at Grand Floridian Cafe with characters for 2? Any time you want pretty much. (dinners were full though)

ThinkTink721

We had an ADR for dinner at The Crystal Palace last summer.
There were people waiting outside the restaurant as a walk-in & they informed us that they would have a 1 hr. to 1 1/2 hr. wait.
W/ a reservation, we got in pretty much on time.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I forgot to mention my table would be for 1 or 2 people. I figure that's easier to get than a table for 3 or more. (though it still wouldn't help with CRT would it?)

slappy magoo

hope for the best, expect the worst
some drink champagne, some die of thirst
no way of knowing
which way you're going
hope for the best expect the...
even with a good beginning
there's no way you'll wind up winning
even with the best of chances
fate will kick you in the pantses
look out for the
watch out for the worst!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
At CRT I was able to walk in once... for breakfast.

It was 3 days after 9/11 though, so that may not be of any help

LoriMistress

I forgot to mention my table would be for 1 or 2 people. I figure that's easier to get than a table for 3 or more. (though it still wouldn't help with CRT would it?)
You have to make ADRs at 180 days before you arrival regarless which restaurant you want to eat at. But it definately applies to CRT. Regardless how many people in you party, if you don't call at exactly 180 days out, then you'll most likely will NOT be able to get in. Plus, you have to give them your CC info and they will charge you for the entire meal for how many people in you party. If you really want to eat at CRT, then I would suggest calling now to see if they even have an availability for the time you'll be in the parks.

joanna71985

I've been able to make day-of reservations for LTT dinner and CP. also, a couple of years ago, I was able to walk in for CRT breakfast. In fact, there was a CM out asking if anyone wanted to eat with the princesses.

Pioneer Hall

You can try and the worst that can happen is you won't be able to get in. I would try making ADR's first, but if you can't get them you can't go wrong with just trying. There are always quick serve places that you can go to if it doesn't pan out.

Craig & Lisa

What I don't understand is that there are still people who think that they can walk up even though there are really no people up there waiting to get in or inside already. then they actually get mad because they've been told that you have to make ressie's. :veryconfu :confused: Then go off in a huff:mad: I mean really, look around, there are thousands of people around you in the park and you think that you will have no problem.:hammer: Even when you get there early for your time to eat you still have to wait awhile sometimes.

tigsmom

The problem is that, in the past, being able to get a good restaurant without reservations (walk ups) was commonplace. The people who still try to do this do not realize that times have changed. They probably go to WDW once every few years and are not crazy people like us who spend time on sites like Magic and know better. :lol:

I'm not one of those people who makes an itinerary, we decide where we want to go the night before when we are relaxing and getting ready for bed. I remember the days that you could walk up to Chef Mickey's and get a table without any problem. We would call the night before for a lunch reservation (maybe) and check dinner availability when in the park and we were getting hungry. We would make a reservation for our special meal each trip or the luau or Hoop Dee Do and that was it. This past March was the first time we ever made ADR's from home prior top our trip.

Heatherbell

You can try and the worst that can happen is you won't be able to get in. I would try making ADR's first, but if you can't get them you can't go wrong with just trying. There are always quick serve places that you can go to if it doesn't pan out.

I completely agree. ADRs should always be first but there is no harm in trying to get a walk in. You never know until you try and it has worked a few times for us.

What I don't understand is that there are still people who think that they can walk up even though there are really no people up there waiting to get in or inside already. then they actually get mad because they've been told that you have to make ressie's. :veryconfu :confused: Then go off in a huff:mad: I mean really, look around, there are thousands of people around you in the park and you think that you will have no problem.:hammer: Even when you get there early for your time to eat you still have to wait awhile sometimes.

I think that people who do this must really have no clue.I mean I guess if it was my first time I would never think to make a reservation, I would just walk up. Some people just do not plan.

slappy magoo

slightly off-topic, but here's a ? I'm curious about esp. since I haven't been to a non-disney-or-uni theme park in five years or so...

do most theme/amusement parks even HAVE sit-down restaurants with a wait staff? six flags? paramount parks? busch?

I know, no pity for those who don't do research, but isn't the idea of reservations for a theme park eatery kinda uniquely disney-ish? if so, it's hard to blame people unused to the concept for not pre-emptively grasping it.

tigsmom

slightly off-topic, but here's a ? I'm curious about esp. since I haven't been to a non-disney-or-uni theme park in five years or so...

do most theme/amusement parks even HAVE sit-down restaurants with a wait staff? six flags? paramount parks? busch?

I know, no pity for those who don't do research, but isn't the idea of reservations for a theme park eatery kinda uniquely disney-ish? if so, it's hard to blame people unused to the concept for not pre-emptively grasping it.

Only other theme park I've been to lately is Busch Gardens Tampa and yes, they have a great sit down restaurant called the Crown Colony Restaurant
that we always eat in. There are a few other nice ones there too.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The problem is that, in the past, being able to get a good restaurant without reservations (walk ups) was commonplace. The people who still try to do this do not realize that times have changed. They probably go to WDW once every few years and are not crazy people like us who spend time on sites like Magic and know better. :lol:

I'm not one of those people who makes an itinerary, we decide where we want to go the night before when we are relaxing and getting ready for bed. I remember the days that you could walk up to Chef Mickey's and get a table without any problem. We would call the night before for a lunch reservation (maybe) and check dinner availability when in the park and we were getting hungry. We would make a reservation for our special meal each trip or the luau or Hoop Dee Do and that was it. This past March was the first time we ever made ADR's from home prior top our trip.

You are right Mad. Making ADRs from home is about 99.9% mandatory if you want to get into one of the more popular sit downs. We have gotten to the point now if we want to do a sit down and didnt make an ADR, we call Disney Dining and ask whats available where. You can generally get in somewhere, but you have to be flexible.

On a side note, at a number of places, especially Le Cellier, we have witnessed a number of people walk up and the CM directs them to a nearby courtesy phone to contact Disney Dining.

sharkbaitohaha

Walked up to ohana at 9:00pm last week and got in within 20 min. We always
go to front desk after check in and try to get reservations for dinner shows and such and have never had a problem. There are always people canceling reservations. We also got categoy 1 reservations for the hoop-de-doo and the luau this way last week. I guess I just have the magic!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom