Walk Around the World to be removed.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have answered this question, there is a lot of suitable land in WDW that is not being used why then have they added on to so many hotels or remolded existing ones. The answer is they are simply adding DVC to existing hotels so that the DVC and main hotels section can share the same resources.
So far only 2 resorts have been expanded to be DVC. AKL and the Contemporary. The tree houses could be considered a third but it was a considerably different situation. That argument is valid for AKL because creating additional animal car facilities and a Savannah would be incredibly expensive and it simply maid sense to expand what was there. In the case of the Contemporary they had to demolish nearly 1/3 of the resort and greatly reduce the non-DVC capacity one of Disney's most popular resorts. I seriously doubt they would do this in order to avoid building a couple of stores, a lobby and a restaurant if the land next door was suitable for a high rise building and could have more convenient access to the monorail. There are just too many marks in the con column to justify what Disney did if the property next door was good to go.

My point is if this is all true and they started construction and found the land to be unsuitable all these years ago, why then have RCID and WDW kept this area on their plans for future use as a hotel?
No idea on this one. If you are in the construction business, and I am assuming that you are, you know as well as I do that maps like this can go decades with nothing more than the date being updated. The land also might be just fine for building a 1 or 2 story structure that could be used as a resort but not much more. It would be hard to argue that a small structure like that would look quite out of place.

Also the monorail was built directly over this site how were they able to accomplish this if these conditions are present?
Installing 18 monorail supports is considerably different than a multistory building. There is also no information as to how much of than land presents a problem. For all we know there is one bad area that is throwing a monkey wrench into the majority of the site

s8film40

Original Poster
So far only 2 resorts have been expanded to be DVC. AKL and the Contemporary. The tree houses could be considered a third but it was a considerably different situation. That argument is valid for AKL because creating additional animal car facilities and a Savannah would be incredibly expensive and it simply maid sense to expand what was there. In the case of the Contemporary they had to demolish nearly 1/3 of the resort and greatly reduce the non-DVC capacity one of Disney's most popular resorts. I seriously doubt they would do this in order to avoid building a couple of stores, a lobby and a restaurant if the land next door was suitable for a high rise building and could have more convenient access to the monorail. There are just too many marks in the con column to justify what Disney did if the property next door was good to go.

The last standalone DVC resort constructed on a fresh site not utilizing existing buildings at WDW was the very first The Vacation Club Resort now of course known as Old Key West. Disney does differentiate in their land use plans between Future Hotel sites and Future Vacation Ownership Hotel sites. The Mediterranean site has always been listed as Future Standard Hotel site. I think it is more likely they are saving this space for a traditional deluxe resort.

No idea on this one. If you are in the construction business, and I am assuming that you are, you know as well as I do that maps like this can go decades with nothing more than the date being updated. The land also might be just fine for building a 1 or 2 story structure that could be used as a resort but not much more. It would be hard to argue that a small structure like that would look quite out of place.

I have quite a few of these maps going back through the years and they have indeed changed quite a bit over time, The Mediterranean site has not.

Installing 18 monorail supports is considerably different than a multistory building. There is also no information as to how much of than land presents a problem. For all we know there is one bad area that is throwing a monkey wrench into the majority of the site

From what I understand, and I'll have to see if I can dig up the documents stating this, The monorail pylons have a deeper foundation than the Contemporary hotel. In many cases they require a more substantial foundation than a building since there are 60 ton trains traveling across them every 5 minutes.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The last standalone DVC resort constructed on a fresh site not utilizing existing buildings at WDW was the very first The Vacation Club Resort now of course known as Old Key West. Disney does differentiate in their land use plans between Future Hotel sites and Future Vacation Ownership Hotel sites. The Mediterranean site has always been listed as Future Standard Hotel site. I think it is more likely they are saving this space for a traditional deluxe resort.
If the Mediterranean resort was not canceled due to issues with the site then why was it canceled so abruptly?

s8film40

Original Poster
And wasn't the Asian resort supposed to be build where the GF now stands?
Exactly, they seem to have dropped the whole Seven Seas theme. I guess you could have assumed that the reason they didn't go ahead with the Asian hotel could have been the land was unsuitable but they did finally eventually use the site about 20 years later.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Exactly, they seem to have dropped the whole Seven Seas theme. I guess you could have assumed that the reason they didn't go ahead with the Asian hotel could have been the land was unsuitable but they did finally eventually use the site about 20 years later.
We could have also assumed that it was due to the Six Million Dollar Man making its TV debut but is not the reason sited by most authors when the subject is discussed.

s8film40

Original Poster
We could have also assumed that it was due to the Six Million Dollar Man making its TV debut but is not the reason sited by most authors when the subject is discussed.
Just as I'm sure when they do finally build something on the Mediterranean site they will not say the reason they didn't build the mediterranean was due to land suitability.

If the GF had not been built I'm sure people would be saying that that land must not be suitable.

In reality the only factor at play is the economics of expanding the resort. When and if Disney decides they want another MK deluxe hotel the Mediterranean site will be there and I don't doubt they'll use it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just as I'm sure when they do finally build something on the Mediterranean site they will not say the reason they didn't build the mediterranean was due to land suitability.

If the GF had not been built I'm sure people would be saying that that land must not be suitable.

In reality the only factor at play is the economics of expanding the resort. When and if Disney decides they want another MK deluxe hotel the Mediterranean site will be there and I don't doubt they'll use it.
Like I have said before you can build anywhere as long as someone pays for it. If the Kansai International Airport could be built on what was at one time open water in Osaka Bay I am sure they could build on the Mediterranean Site. Someone just needs to figure out how to do it with a budget that would allow the place to be profitable without charging $2000 a night for a 300 sq foot room. Until that happens the place will remain an undeveloped field.

DougK

Like I have said before you can build anywhere as long as someone pays for it. If the Kansai International Airport could be built on what was at one time open water in Osaka Bay I am sure they could build on the Mediterranean Site. Someone just needs to figure out how to do it with a budget that would allow the place to be profitable without charging $2000 a night for a 300 sq foot room. Until that happens the place will remain an undeveloped field.

Oh so they will build there in 2025 when they will be charging $2000 a night for a 300 sq foot room! :)

Mr.EPCOT

I can see a project getting that far and getting scrapped, I have seen projects get farther than that only to get shut down, but if the site was ideally suited for building why demolish a recently refurbed section of an established resort to build BLT if you have a perfectly good piece of land, in a better location, just sitting there?

Just a correction, the North Garden Wing of the Contemporary wasn't refurbished. The last major refurbishment it got was with the mid-90's Resort overhaul.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom