Walk Around the World to be removed.

dznygirl64

Thought this was about the bricks not swamp land.Personally I dont care if they ever build on that spot.I thing Disney has enough resorts now much less another one.And yes when the Grand Floridian was built the seven seas theme was lost.Disney is all about DVCs now so I think adding DVCs to existing resorts is the game plan now.Im sure they will ruen the Poly and GF with add ons of DVCs before building a totally new resort.Just my opinion

Monorail_Orange

While we're OT, a while back I remember reading about the theme of the resorts around the Seven Seas lagoon was intended to correspond with the seven lands of MK:

Poly = AL
Contemporary = TL
Grand Floridian = Main Street USA
Wilderness Lodge = Frontierland

I know there was some discussion that the "Ventian/Mediterranean" concept was meant to have a heavy Princess focus, and thus would represent FL. I'm having a "senior moment" and cannot recall the concepts for the representation of LS and TT - which would otherwise complete the seven.

If this is all tripe, I apologize, I can't remember WHERE I read it, but at the time it struck me as logical for a current vision of what to do with other potential resorts around SSL, and fit nicely with the current ones. :shrug:

Rob562

Perhaps not exactly all of them were designed, but you can supposedly only see the resorts from their corresponding lands.

Contemporary is the most obvious, visible from within Tomorrowland.

When the park first opened and the trees of Adventureland hadn't fully grown in yet, you could see the Polynesian from the train as it passed through Adventureland.

The Grand Floridian can be seen as you exit turn-of-the-century main street into the entrance plaza. An island hides the view of the Polynesian, and the Contemporary is around the bend off to the left.

(This was all from our Keys to the Kingdom tour guide years ago, and while they're not ALWAYS right on their info, he seemed to know his stuff)

-Rob

Mr.EPCOT

While we're OT, a while back I remember reading about the theme of the resorts around the Seven Seas lagoon was intended to correspond with the seven lands of MK:

Poly = AL
Contemporary = TL
Grand Floridian = Main Street USA
Wilderness Lodge = Frontierland

I know there was some discussion that the "Ventian/Mediterranean" concept was meant to have a heavy Princess focus, and thus would represent FL. I'm having a "senior moment" and cannot recall the concepts for the representation of LS and TT - which would otherwise complete the seven.

If this is all tripe, I apologize, I can't remember WHERE I read it, but at the time it struck me as logical for a current vision of what to do with other potential resorts around SSL, and fit nicely with the current ones. :shrug:

Complete urban legend. Remember that the original planned hotels also included the Asian and Persian. The Asian was originally to built on the site of the Grand Floridian, which wasn't announced until the early 1980's. The Contemporary's decor was originally of a heavy American Southwest theme (e.g., Grand Canyon Concourse). And there were never any concepts that could correlate with Fantasyland, Liberty Square, or Toontown, the latter of which didn't even come along until 1988 in its original form as Mickey's Birthdayland.

The plan was for themes from locales around the globe, hence that's why we have the Seven Seas Lagoon.

David S.

Too bad that 'Walk Around the World' didn't actually let guests walk over to the Grand Floridain.
Just sort of stopped due to a canal or something.
A moveable bridge or some creative engineering could have overcome that obstacle.

IMHO
:)

I agree. I always wished they would have completed that path. Then it would have been possible to walk to and from the MK from all three hotels, as well as the TTC.

This would be very convenient for when the monorail breaks down in the morning and you don't want to be late arriving at the park and risk missing the Welcome Show or Rope Drop (I jog fairly quickly!)

Also, at park closing on nights when the park closes WITH the fireworks (such as a 10 PM fireworks close), one could simply walk to their destination and bypass those insane lines for the monorail and ferry!

ABigBrassBand

That's too bad, but they did only guarantee 10 years. I really don't see why they are replacing them with just blank bricks though, takes away the spirit of it.

cassiedoodle

So I know this is an older thread, is this still happening? I can't say it surprises me, a lot of the bricks are looking pretty shabby. My family was lucky enough to get 2 (by mistake) right at the entrance and it's always fun to find them and make sure there's no gum stuck to them :eek: What would be EXTREMELY nice, though highly improbable, is if the owners of the bricks could pay to have them shipped to their door. How cool would it look in a garden!

Walk around the world...

We purchased our Brick in 95.......I want my BRICK back or my $85.00!!!!! It's probably just a matter of time before the Postage Stamp size pictures @ legacy in Epcot is removed!!!!!....I wonder what the next money making scheme will be?????? I Don't think Walt would approve of any of this..........:p

YankeeMouse

Bought ours in '95 and it is under the monorail directly in front of guest relations window at MK, but still outside the entrance fence, so we always take a pic of our feet around the brick, looking down with the brick in the middle. Always a good family photo so I would miss it.

mickey2008.1

They should have completed it, but oh well. If people want there bricks back, they should be allowed to have them, but only when it is time for them to be replaced, not before hand. i dont have one, but would like one. I dont see why they couldnt just replace them with new ones purchased, they are not an eyesore and people love to go see their own brick when they go to wdw.

Martian Crab

I'm trying to understand: what was the attraction to purchase one of these in the first place? It seems like a waste of money even if the bricks stayed forever.

tnemgif

I'm trying to understand: what was the attraction to purchase one of these in the first place? It seems like a waste of money even if the bricks stayed forever.
The same reason why people engrave their names on park benches or donate money to buy benches for a park - just to be a part of something you love.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom