Virgin Temporary replacement. Confimed

DisneyDellsDude

I'm going to change my opinion a bit.
If they build a custom made structure to house traveling exhibits, I think I would enjoy that at DTD. Disney and some others have had some really neat exhibits touring lately. The Jim Henson exhibit would have been really neat to have in DTD - same goes for the Disney Records 50th exhibit or that Disneyland 50th one.
Then you would have something that could change every half year or so and appeal to both locals and vacationers.
Then I could see something like this fitting.

hrcollectibles

I think it is a good idea i mean we clelebrate the life of walt all over disney how can we not celebreate the life of someone who did so much for people and made those happy who could not travel to disney. spread the love
Because She did not make any attractions.... Nor did she create a talking mouse

Who knows maybe the clothing is haunted.. Kingdom Keepers 4 .. The Kids are chased by Princess Diana's Dresses

wilsonhanks

Why not just move One Man's Dream there and have a lot more interactive areas. Maybe even set up his train set that he had in his backyard?...Or have a replica of the house he grew up in.

You could even have a "Build Your Own Animatronic" and build it on a computer. There could be a bunch of "parts" and you can add your own flair (like a Mr. Potatohead" but in Animatronic form.

Use the Multi-Plane camera to set up your own scene. Choose from 3-5 different "art cels" and put them together to create a unique animated environment with depth.

When you walk in...everything could be black and white...and as you walk through the "life of Walt Disney"...things would become more colored and bright.

No money for rent, this will kinda be like Disney's version of a mall art gallery, like the Thomas Kincaid collection (not sure of the spelling there) :confused::confused::confused::confused:

dxwwf3

If they build a custom made structure to house traveling exhibits, I think I would enjoy that at DTD. Disney and some others have had some really neat exhibits touring lately. The Jim Henson exhibit would have been really neat to have in DTD - same goes for the Disney Records 50th exhibit or that Disneyland 50th one.
Then you would have something that could change every half year or so and appeal to both locals and vacationers.

That is a very good point. However, I think this Diana exhibit might be so unsuccessful that they scrap any plans along those lines.

jt04

Next up: Bodies or Titanic

If they bring in bodies, they could immediately lose a huge percentage of guests for a long time. Just too morbid for average Disney fans.

I love the idea of an exhibition hall dedicated to traveling exhibits and shows, a concept that seem to be gaining popularity. This would be great and perfect for helping keep DTD fresh. It's ideas like that which keep me reading these boards. :)

Tom Morrow

I do agree, if this is the case, then it is a decent use of the building. If it is, I hope they give the building a real name that lets people know that it is an exibition hall and the exibit inside is temporary. I also hope they don't keep exibits longer than 6 months or so, or maybe a varying length depending on their popularity.

Regardless, this Princess Di exibit is extremely tacky and irrelevant.

EPCOT Explorer

If they bring in bodies, they could immediately lose a huge percentage of guests for a long time. Just too morbid for average Disney fans.

I love the idea of an exhibition hall dedicated to traveling exhibits and shows, a concept that seem to be gaining popularity. This would be great and perfect for helping keep DTD fresh. It's ideas like that which keep me reading these boards. :)

I saw it, expecting to be grossed out, but honestly, it screams WoL. :lol:

nor'easter

Some people will dismiss anything as "crap," simply because it's not what they want to see. So far the responses from those who have actually seen the exhibit (in a different locale) are generally positive. What constitutes something that has "context to Disney World" anyways? Sounds like one of those sliding scales based on personal preference (e.g. Stitch isn't a "real" Disney character). It is no more or less within "context" than the previous tenant.

Personally I think WDW needs a space where they can house traveling, temporary exhibits such as this one. The Pixar Art exhibit and the Jim Henson exhibit spring immediately to mind.

You answered your own question. Pixar Art or Jim Henson exhibit would be fine. This Diana junk belongs on International Drive with Ripley's Believe It or Not.

Dare to not be a Disney acolyte...mediocrity should be condemned.

hack2112

I saw it, expecting to be grossed out, but honestly, it screams WoL. :lol:
It does. I saw it on a trip to NYC. SOOOOOOOO COOL. When you're looking at the bodies, it doesn't even seem morbid at all.

You answered your own question. Pixar Art or Jim Henson exhibit would be fine. This Diana junk belongs on International Drive with Ripley's Believe It or Not.

Dare to not be a Disney acolyte...mediocrity should be condemned.
Look, everyone. Don't knock it before you try it. Case in point, Monster's Inc. Was it a bit tacky when it first opened, yes. But now, it has become a show that I usually see every trip to WDW, and that is a good amount of trips per year. It's cute, funny, and a great way to waste a half an hour. Just wait before you pass judgment. You may be pleasantly surprised. At least they realize they may have a bit of a problem in DTD.

slappy magoo

I won't say it's tacky, but I can say I've no desire to see it. I think it has more to do with the idea of celebrating opulence, as opposed to celebrating innovation ala Disney or Henson. I know Diana was incredibly generous with her time, cared deeply about improving the world, but I'd guess the outfits she wore whilst visiting the poor in Africa will not be given the same impressive display as a dress she wore once to one formal function celebrating one dignitary I've never heard of...though if I'm wrong, that'd be awesome.

Now, at the risk of sounding a leeeeetle bit hypocritical, an exhibit I'd love to see there would be one celebrating all things Disney AND Disneyana. As others have said, an expanded version of A Man and A Dream, but with more vintage merchandise that would really explore the sheer quantity and depth of goods sold with Mickey's mug plastered on it. Plus, ala the Museum of Television and Radio, kiosks where individuals or small groups can pull up every episode of every Disney show ever made, as well as every animated short, every Disney Nature short, every educational short, and every feature not currently in theaters. Currently, the Museum of Television and Radio in New York charges $10Adult/$8 Students & Seniors for admission. Tell me you wouldn't be tempted to pay a similar amount for the largest collection of Disney memorabilia - and the chance to see episodes of The Wonderful World of Disney or tv-Movies or the animated shorts produced for the military during WWII to warn soldiers about the dangers of VD - whilst on vacation. Or better yet, if it were part of the Water Parks Fun And More option.

Philo

Well.....

It's hard to say what think right now.......

I'll just stick with a good old fashioned "WHAT!!!"

Coming from England (where we're all supposed to worship her) I can confidently say that I don't know a single person that would visit this

WDWFREAK53

No money for rent, this will kinda be like Disney's version of a mall art gallery, like the Thomas Kincaid collection (not sure of the spelling there) :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Whuh? Think of the marketing possibilities. Trust me, I think they'd make more than enough in a place like this for "rent."

If they put a $100-$300 price point on a build-your-own animatronic (don't let your jaw drop...Lego Mindstorms are right around this)...I think many people would be interested. (That's just ONE piece of memorabilia).

BTW...if they are charging admission to see dresses that a former Princess wore, I think they'd be able to charge admission to see and DO some cool things that Walt did in his lifetime.

disneylad

unbelievable

this has to be one of the silliest threads i have ever read.

first of all, since when has Downtown Disney been such a paragon of class. It is a glorified strip mall. All you people that are so offended at spoiling DTD need to get a grip.

secondly, go to this site and see all of the organizations that benefit by the proceeds of this exhibit.

http://www.changingtheheartoftheworld.com/beneficiaries.html

finally, i think stitch's great escape is horrid and i will never go back to it, but i don't waste my energy griping about it on-line. to each their own. some people like it. and that's in THE MAGIC KINGDOM !

how about everyone talks about what they like about WDW and just let the stuff you don't like go. what a waste of energy.

peace, love, and mickey mouse

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Some people will dismiss anything as "crap," simply because it's not what they want to see.

Yes... that is so totally me. I should stop paying my shrink.. and just go to you instead. :rolleyes: :lol: :p

Seriously.. you see NOTHING odd about this at all?

While we are at it... we should just change LaNouba to a old school carny freak show. I just might pay to see the worlds fattest bearded lady though. :lol: :shrug: :lookaroun

WDWFREAK53

this has to be one of the silliest threads i have ever read.

first of all, since when has Downtown Disney been such a paragon of class. It is a glorified strip mall. All you people that are so offended at spoiling DTD need to get a grip.

secondly, go to this site and see all of the organizations that benefit by the proceeds of this exhibit.

http://www.changingtheheartoftheworld.com/beneficiaries.html

finally, i think stitch's great escape is horrid and i will never go back to it, but i don't waste my energy griping about it on-line. to each their own. some people like it. and that's in THE MAGIC KINGDOM !

how about everyone talks about what they like about WDW and just let the stuff you don't like go. what a waste of energy.

peace, love, and mickey mouse

1. There are plenty of people that have expressed their dislike for Stitch's Great Escape. Do a search for "Stitch," "OMGZ!!111 I Can't Believe More Stitch," or "Chili Dog."

2. You're proving our point...when you say this, "first of all, since when has Downtown Disney been such a paragon of class. It is a glorified strip mall. " I think most agree with this statement and see huge changes going on at DTD (mostly turning it into a vast wasteland of nothingness). That huge change is to change it from what it was and make it something worth going to. There are plenty of other things that could be done with a well-received area than putting in a Museum of dresses that Princess Diana wore. Just because something makes money for a charity or good cause, doesn't mean it's a good fit everywhere. Going back to your original statement...just because it wasn't a "paragon of class" doesn't mean that they need to keep with that theme.

3. People are talking about what they like...and what they would like to see. Just because us "fans" talk more about the negatives than the positives doesn't mean that we don't like the positives. I'll give you a list of 5 things that people are or have been upset with...

A. Stitch's Great Escape (Replaced Alien Encounter...how can you say people shouldn't be upset about this?)
B. The Wand (They cried and whined until it was down...it came down...people are happy again)
C. Stitch's Stupid Show (No comment unless you've actually seen this...it's truly the worst show in the history of WDW IMHO)
D. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (It sat vacant for so long....and still is...but rumors about the Little Mermaid dark ride have people excited again in this area)
E. DinoRama! (Disney did it cheap...if you don't think so, revisit the area again and look at the rest of DAK)

So, there are a handful of things...and now compare those to the many other things that are in WDW...and you'll see that if people are only complaining about a minimal amount of things, that there are a whole lot more that people are happy with. For the most part, people don't complain unless there are valid reasons for the complaint!

disneylad

in a way you made me point

everything you listed is in the parks, which is certainly open to discussion and criticism (to a degree).

but i don't go to WDW to go to Downtown Disney and I'm not really that interested in what they do there. i just want to go get some stuff at WoD and leave.

I suppose if i lived in the area and had regular access i may be more interested.

but again to my original points, it's replacing a record store (which i bet most of the people posting never went to), and it's temporary.

much ado about nothing

WDWFREAK53

everything you listed is in the parks, which is certainly open to discussion and criticism (to a degree).

but i don't go to WDW to go to Downtown Disney and I'm not really that interested in what they do there. i just want to go get some stuff at WoD and leave.

I suppose if i lived in the area and had regular access i may be more interested.

but again to my original points, it's replacing a record store (which i bet most of the people posting never went to), and it's temporary.

much ado about nothing

Actually, Walt Disney World is a resort as a whole. If you don't visit Downtown Disney, then why bother responding to this thread? You don't care what goes on there yet other people do. To me, and many others, we don't just go to WDW to hit the 4 theme parks...we go to WDW for a vacation...an escape from our everyday normal lives. Sometimes I like to leave the park a little early and head to DTD to get AWAY from the theme parks.

Yes, there are many great experiences at WDW that are within the confines of the 4 theme parks...but the Adventurer's Club was one that wasn't in a theme park. There are many places outside of the 4 "big draws" that offer a fun experience...

Adventurer's Club (R.I.P.)
The Comedy Warehouse
Raglan Road
Hoop-Dee-Doo
ESPN Club
Jellyrolls

...the list goes on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom