Video - Splash Mtn finale Jan 22 (all animatronics broken)

Buried20KLeague

That's not true, and many guests would line up to tell you so. There is no reason for splash to be down now with Big Thunder closed. Yes the scene is unpleasant to look at, but it's not as bad as the ride being down. In my opinion the park needs to go back to 9am to 7 pm hours during the off season so there is more time to correct things.

So... Just to be clear... You don't believe TDO should hold to the keys that THEY THEMSELVES set. The keys that WALT set.

So... "Show" should be changed to "Show... Unless it somehow doesn't work in our favor, in which case, who really cares????"

I own multiple companies with a standard set in place. Those standards stay consistant regardless of outside influence. It's a huge reason why we're as successful as we are. I don't walk in one day and say "hey... Today we only have to get 7 out of 10 shipments accurate, because two guys in shipping are out sick today. Everybody take it a little easy today. With two guys out in shipping, people won't expect as much from us, so we can sort of coast today. No big deal. Everybody take a break!!!!"

How out of place does that sound?

NormC

Where can I apply to be one of the maintenance guys that actually get to fix AAs? I have been fixing this kind of stuff for over 20 years and would love to work all night to get these things fixed. I would take pride in the task because I know all of you are watching and my children still believe in the magic. It would give me great job satisfaction to know that you all are happy when you get off the rides.

Philharmagicman

Not trying to come to anyone's defense here.... As the highest priced theme park in the US, the customer expectation is that everything should work every day. I would love to see it some day.

However, compare some broken down AA's on Splash Mountain to a "fully functional" log ride at any other amusement park. Night and day difference. There's no such thing as "show quality" at Cedar Fair or Six Flags parks. Universal tries their best, but NOBODY compares to Disney when it comes to the full experience.

I'll be there in a few weeks, then again at Thanksgiving (coming from Cincinnati, OH no less). I'm not going to let one attraction or one park in need of attention stop my plans to enjoy all 35,000 acres. Maybe those of you who visit every weekend see things differently. If you visit any place regularly, you're bound to notice every new paint chip, nail pop, cracked tile, etc.

TDO will get through this. Take a look at WDW as a whole, and it's still where most people want to spend their vacation time. Especially me.

I'll ride Splash regardless. Would love to see all AAs working perfectly, but can accept the fact if some aren't. That's a whole lot better than not being able to ride BTMRR at all!! And WDW is way better than Kings Island (right in my own backyard).

Me too. I can accept it too. I shouldn't let one little blemish get in my way.

Buried20KLeague

Wow. That is ugly.

Indefensible.

I am at a point where I need to make a decision about how to treat WDW.

On the one hand, I love WDW. A huge chunk of my best memories take place at the resort. I am a DVC owner, and I go every year.

Things are deteriorating so badly now, and the members on this site, and other sites, do such a great job of keeping us informed. I am having a hard time fully enjoying myself in WDW. I find myself thinking, "I wish I was like the ignorant masses." I want to enjoy WDW like I used to again.

So here is my choice. Do I just unplug completely from the Disney fan community and try and plunge myself into ignorance to better enjoy the parks?

Or do I stop going to WDW entirely? DVC operates on the west coast. I could use my points there. Maybe save up a couple years worth of points and head to Aulani?

TDO at this point is operating so poorly that my preferred 3rd choice, continue to be involved in the online fan community, and enjoy the parks, is not an option for me. So what do I do? and, am I the only one feeling this way?

The sole reason I'm not a DVC owner is because of the state of WDW these past handful of years. Disney is missing out on my $35k in revenue plus basically guaranteed revenue for the next 50 years too. But the sad thing is... They don't care. There's some other sheep right behind me that will take my place. Supply is outweighed by demand.

Anyway... I can feel your pain. If I were you, I'd be thinking about the left coast, like you said. Starting in June, Disneyland and Cali Adventure is going to be a fun place to be. Anaheim does a LOT right. A LOT. It's refreshing to visit out there. Aulani seems amazing. Or get REALLY crazy and rent your points for a couple years and use that money to check out Tokyo Disney. You wouldn't be sorry... Although fair warning... You'd see WDW through an even more critical eye than you already do.

I don't think unplugging from the online community would do much... I'd bet that the critical view you see the parks through is mostly formed by your familiarity with them... I'd bet that the online community just helps validate what you've already noticed yourself through your trips. Don't stick your head in the sand. Get your Disney fix. Just get it from other sources more often. :wave:

I'm a passholder at Disneyland now and have been 3 times in the past 8 months and live in the center of the country. WDW used to be my home resort. Not anymore.

Buried20KLeague

Where can I apply to be one of the maintenance guys that actually get to fix AAs? I have been fixing this kind of stuff for over 20 years and would love to work all night to get these things fixed. I would take pride in the task because I know all of you are watching and my children still believe in the magic. It would give me great job satisfaction to know that you all are happy when you get off the rides.

The problem is, I believe, that most of the folks that work in maintenance would agree with you.

It seems the issue is managment and the size of the alloted budget for maintenance rather than the people in maintenance themselves.

You can only fix what your superiors TELL you to fix.

I'd imagine there are LOTS of people in maintenance that are very upset with the condition of their parks and attractions these days.

haveyoumetmark

That's disgusting. This may be WAAAAAY jumping the gun, but we've decided this summer is our last Disney trip for a couple of years. Now, I said that last year but for different reasons. We were going to go to Disneyland or a cruise, but opted out of DL because DCA isn't finished yet. But right now, I'm sick to my stomach at the state of things in WDW. It's embarrassing. If I didn't already have 5 nights booked at Universal for the start of the vacation, I'd cancel it now. In fact, we may discuss ditching Disney and taking a cruise on Carnival after Universal.

Pardon my language, but get in there and fix the damn ride! Have some respect for your park and your guests.

Wholeheartedly agree.
2012 is my first year without an annual.

TalkingHead

However, compare some broken down AA's on Splash Mountain to a "fully functional" log ride at any other amusement park. Night and day difference. There's no such thing as "show quality" at Cedar Fair or Six Flags parks. Universal tries their best, but NOBODY compares to Disney when it comes to the full experience.

Maybe it's because Universal doesn't get as much online attention as WDW does, but I don't recall ever hearing of something this egregious at Uni.

This is the largest scene/prop in the entire attraction that is in full view of riders for over a minute of ride time, and it's malfunctioning.

I think Disney's lowered the bar for Orlando with this one.

Alektronic

The problem is, I believe, that most of the folks that work in maintenance would agree with you.

It seems the issue is managment and the size of the alloted budget for maintenance rather than the people in maintenance themselves.

You can only fix what your superiors TELL you to fix.

I'd imagine there are LOTS of people in maintenance that are very upset with the condition of their parks and attractions these days.

That is correct!

But then a lot them take the management attitude, if they don't care about it, then why should I?

wdwfan22

So... Just to be clear... You don't believe TDO should hold to the keys that THEY THEMSELVES set. The keys that WALT set.

So... "Show" should be changed to "Show... Unless it somehow doesn't work in our favor, in which case, who really cares????"

I own multiple companies with a standard set in place. Those standards stay consistant regardless of outside influence. It's a huge reason why we're as successful as we are. I don't walk in one day and say "hey... Today we only have to get 7 out of 10 shipments accurate, because two guys in shipping are out sick today. Everybody take it a little easy today. With two guys out in shipping, people won't expect as much from us, so we can sort of coast today. No big deal. Everybody take a break!!!!"

How out of place does that sound?

I never said anything about changing SHOW to show. I said Splash needs to remain in operation while Thunder is down. In today's world guests will complain when the attraction is not operating. They don't give a rats @ss that everything in the attraction is operating, they care that the ride is operating. Yes maintance needs to be done and should be done before things break, however my point being is right now 2 main attractions in one area can NOT be down at the same time.

lebeau

And WDW is way better than Kings Island (right in my own backyard).

My KI season pass costs less than a day at the Magic Kingdom. It better be "way better".

The truth of the matter is that Kings Island is great for what it is. It's not supposed to be comparable to MK or any other Disney park. But things like this bring it down to the level of a seasonal regional amusement park. That's just wrong!

alissafalco

why cant they work on the animatronics at night when the park is closed?? I dont see why they would have to close down the whole ride just for those types of fixes??

lebeau

I never said anything about changing SHOW to show. I said Splash needs to remain in operation while Thunder is down. In today's world guests will complain when the attraction is not operating. They don't give a rats @ss that everything in the attraction is operating, they care that the ride is operating. Yes maintance needs to be done and should be done before things break, however my point being is right now 2 main attractions in one area can NOT be down at the same time.

Given the current situation, yes, it is probably better that Splash remain open. The average guest would rather ride it even in its current condition.

But what a lot of us are saying is that the current situation was easily avoidable. Proper maintenance, regular refurbs and keeping the necessary parts for repair on property all would have prevented this from being an issue.

Disney used to do this sort of thing. But they have lowered their standards systematically over time. Simultaneously, they have been raising prices across the board. And yet, Disney apologists are okay with that. :eek:

wdwfan22

why cant they work on the animatronics at night when the park is closed?? I dont see why they would have to close down the whole ride just for those types of fixes??

Well anymore they don't get a whole lot of overnight time. Park hours keep being extended and then evening magic hours. It might help if they went back to a 9am to 7pm during the winter months like they use to.

lebeau

Well anymore they don't get a whole lot of overnight time. Park hours keep being extended and then evening magic hours. It might help if they went back to a 9am to 7pm during the winter months like they use to.

Most days they are open an hour or two more than that right now. I can't think the extra hour here and there really prevents them from making crucial repairs to their most popular park's most popular attraction.

Mrs.Skellington

Ok, i may get reamed for this but this is so how our family feels. We only get to go to WDW every two years. the last three trips, Splash was closed. My kids have never been. my In laws have never been. My sister went when she was younger but not in the last decade. my brother in law has never been. Everytime when we go, it is closed for refurbishment. What are they refurbing if it is always broke> I hope and pray that is is not closed when we go this year. Our trip is in november/December. We moved our normal February trip because of these refurbs. to find out that it will be closed will totally break our hearts.
i would much rather broken AA then no splash at all. :eek:

Bolna

I get your point that at the moment it would be tough to more or less have one whole land without any attraction working.

BUT I see a problem with the argument that people complain when an attraction is not operating but don't complain about bad show. It most likely is true, it is so much easier to complain about one big thing than a lot of little things. But Disney lives on its "magic" - that's what people return for. And all those elements of bad show cut away bits and pieces of the magic. At one point people will realise that it is gone. Just read some of the comments from people here in this thread who say that they don't go to WDW anymore. Even from a business perspective this does not make sense. The guests might not complain, but they might not return. And at one point Disney suddenly is known as a place that once was magical, but now is overpriced.

alissafalco

Most days they are open an hour or two more than that right now. I can't think the extra hour here and there really prevents them from making crucial repairs to their most popular park's most popular attraction.

I totally agree!! an hour here or there taken away is no big deal. They have plenty of time to work on it every night when the park closes. I don't think time is the issue...it's pure $$$ and greed.

Bolna

I totally agree!! an hour here or there taken away is no big deal. They have plenty of time to work on it every night when the park closes. I don't think time is the issue...it's pure $$$ and greed.

Yes, especially since they could easily make up for less hours by having more people work on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom