Video from TTA and Skyway demo.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If that is the case then a structural issue seems less likely. Any idea if there are any major utilities running under it?
Not that I know apart from plumbing and sewers. The big job I imagine is the whole buildings foundation and central spindle foundations from the original Skyway tension wheels. There will be a LOT of concrete and steel down there. There is one storm drain to the north, and one very close to the west side, but nothing underneath from what I know.

Packing? Nearly done!

WDWFigment

I also agree with Richard's sentiments on the way this is being approached, but I also have no knowledge of complicating variables that might make Disney proceed this way.

I also wonder about the restaurant idea. I really really hope it's true, but what are the odds? Why wouldn't Disney just re-open the Noodle Station permanently? Is the Noodle Station too far away or out of the way to be a viable option? It just seems somewhat counter-intuitive that Disney would construct a new dining option when there is a seldom-used dining option fairly close by. Again, there could be variables I'm overlooking or simply not aware of that complicate things.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not that I know apart from plumbing and sewers. The big job I imagine is the whole buildings foundation and central spindle foundations from the original Skyway tension wheels. There will be a LOT of concrete and steel down there. There is one storm drain to the north, and one very close to the west side, but nothing underneath from what I know.
That very well might be the reason if those structures are incorporated into the bathroom structure. I imagine that removing those would be similar to demolishing a bank vault which aint easy or cheap

Packing? Nearly done!
Well you will be there a good bit longer than I will. My Halloween costume actually takes up more room than the clothes I need for my entire trip.:lol:

Main Street USA

It was clear to me, from the video, that the bottom portion of the building was intentionally left untouched, and also that the roof of said bottom portion was in remarkably good shape considering what has been going on around it. Certainly, this was done intentionally, and for good reason. The white collar men in hard hats strolling around on top only means they're discussing something that's happening up there on top of the building. Whether it's just a new roof or something more substantial is yet to be seen.

janoimagine

I also agree with Richard's sentiments on the way this is being approached, but I also have no knowledge of complicating variables that might make Disney proceed this way.

I also wonder about the restaurant idea. I really really hope it's true, but what are the odds? Why wouldn't Disney just re-open the Noodle Station permanently? Is the Noodle Station too far away or out of the way to be a viable option? It just seems somewhat counter-intuitive that Disney would construct a new dining option when there is a seldom-used dining option fairly close by. Again, there could be variables I'm overlooking or simply not aware of that complicate things.

I hope it get's a dining loc. too, but I wonder, with Martin saying their are no utilidors underneath how that could work. It is my understanding that most of the food used in the MK resturants is prepped underground then brought up? Right? :shrug:

donsullivan

Premium Member
I rode by it on TTA yesterday and noticed a couple of things.

• Everything has been removed all the way back to the section where you used to be able to walk underneath the Skyway Station. The steel and concrete base underneath the cable mechanism has been removed. (see photo below)
  • The second level has been removed, but the floor of that area remains along with what can essentially be described as segments of steel that look like they'll be used to build a curb wall that currently surrounds three sides of that structure.
  • When looking in from either the front, or through the entry doors to the restrooms, they appear to have removed all of the wall finishes and are down to the metal studs throughout.

Skyway_Station_Demo_1.jpg

Figment1986

I wonder are they going to use the rest of the overhang to expand the old store.. then again the glass sppears to be intact on the old shop. (They also removed the ancient payphones from there...)

At least they finally removed, "Mens" "Womans" and "Restroo" lol

spacemt09

I'm going to hazard a boring guess here...

The remnants of the building will be used for... wait for it... OFFICE/BREAK ROOM SPACE!!! Keeping the restrooms below of course.

EPCOT Explorer

So that music that plays when you enter Space Mountain on the TTA now. Is that Space Mountains new theme song? replacing the star tunnel music?
Hmm...Good thought, if that's the case.
The Goof is confused.

The Goof wants to know whether there is music or not on Space Mountain?

Can you smell what The Goof is cooking?

:lookaroun
Goof talking in third person annoys the Explorer.:lookaroun:lol:

I would like to know, though...:D

I didnt hear, "Now approaching, Space Mountain" so maybe that whole area is off.

Looks like a fresh slab of cement. Obvisouly not, but yes, nice job.

Screenshot from Dave's post. Thanks for the link Dave
View attachment 26262

Did you just ingest 24 red bulls and a few Twinkie cakes?
Ooooooh, that looks interesting? New colors, or are the lights just on?

No doubt in my mind, after seeing this latest video, that the 1st floor of the old Skyway building is staying, and that they're building something new on top of it. ;)
I would hope! :D;)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
What they appear to be doing with this building is a bit odd. If they were going to build something new in its location saving the just the bathrooms would IMHO be kind of foolish. But that is just the way I like to work. I prefer a clean slat vs. having to deal with the limitations of working around an existing structure. Outside of Disney it would make a little sense as paperwork, fees, etc are much less for a remodel then for new construction. I have seen commercial buildings torn down to a single wall and then an entirely new building built around it just to qualify as a remodel. But Disney does not have to deal with stuff like that so I do not see that as the reason.

Here are a few possibilities that I see. It could be as simple as someone saying "I bet we can save 30 grand by saving the bathrooms." We all know how the current management team will do anything to save a buck. Disney might also have long term plans for this location and are merely using this time where space mountain is down to do the majority of the demolition. The bathrooms are staying put for the obvious reason that the area needs those facilities. I know my family makes at least one pit stop there per trip and I doubt we are the only ones. Another possibility is that there is structural issue. As we know much of MK is the second floor of a 2 story building. Not knowing what is under the skyway station the structure of that bathroom might be critical to what ever may be going up there in the future. If any one can clue me in to what is under it I could make a bit more of an educated guess. It could just as easily be a combination of both of those scenarios or something different entirely.
Thank you for your insight.

Packing? Nearly done!
Ah. As I told Richard today... I cant believe I didnt think about the possibility of these components. Nice.

PhotoDave219

It's more like what I don't hear. I've never ever seen or heard any actual rumors that a restaurant is going there, just a common desire among fanboys for one.

I can't remember where i heard the rumor but knowing the mouse, the most plausible (IMO) conclusion is a table-service restaurant.

My speculation for this comes mainly from the lack of full-service dining capacity and options at MK. You have The Plaza (limited seating and times, good food tho), Tony's (generally the easiest to get at MK), CRT (must reserve with a Credit Card and is a PITA to get into), Crystal Prison (its a buffet! Lots of seating but always a huge line) and LTD (At least the buffet comes to you and its actually really good, but its Thanksgiving Dinner. Viva la revolution and down the Redcoats :lookaroun ).

It makes the most sense to me. Only DAK has fewer table service options.

I mean i really don't see them putting in an attraction there.

Rob562

I can't remember where i heard the rumor but knowing the mouse, the most plausible (IMO) conclusion is a table-service restaurant.

My speculation for this comes mainly from the lack of full-service dining capacity and options at MK. You have The Plaza (limited seating and times, good food tho), Tony's (generally the easiest to get at MK), CRT (must reserve with a Credit Card and is a PITA to get into), Crystal Prison (its a buffet! Lots of seating but always a huge line) and LTD (At least the buffet comes to you and its actually really good, but its Thanksgiving Dinner. Viva la revolution and down the Redcoats :lookaroun ).

Also remember that Fantasyland will be getting a new Table Service restaurant in Be Our Guest...

I think the "Table Service in Tomorrowland" was never really a rumor but just speculation that at some point crossed over the line into actual rumor...

-Rob

EPCOT Explorer

Good thoughts...Though, I wonder and hope it will be in conjunction with SM. That would be the "attraction" part?

PhotoDave219

Also remember that Fantasyland will be getting a new Table Service restaurant in Be Our Guest...

I think the "Table Service in Tomorrowland" was never really a rumor but just speculation that at some point crossed over the line into actual rumor...

-Rob

That wont open for a few years.

Figment1986

Don't forget about the bathrooms between ice cream and Mickey's Star Traders, it's not that far of a walk away :p

those are the only other outside set of restrooms... you need some next to space due to the amount of guests riding it..

that, and what would happen if that one become out of order, the next set are Inside cosmic rays or all the way near mainstreet USA.

PhotoDave219

Don't forget about the bathrooms between ice cream and Mickey's Star Traders, it's not that far of a walk away :p

For anyone who has ever played Rollercoaster Tycoon, you need bathrooms right next to a coaster, even if it is one as tame as Space Mountain :D

Figment1986

For anyone who has ever played Rollercoaster Tycoon, you need bathrooms right next to a coaster, even if it is one as tame as Space Mountain :D

:lookaroun it's either that or extra custodial around the attraction if i remember my days playing RCT 1 & 2... I also remember that there was such a thing as too many loops :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom