Vicious SGE Rehab Rumor

Indy95

Testtrack321 said:
Not his English skills, the utter lack of consistancy and story. Get over the idea that belovid stitch is in a ride and realize that there are huge glaring holes in the story and ride.
Yes it is a little harsh, but he seems to be right, for the most part anyway. Now, I haven't seen the attraction in person (and won't until summer), but even before a visit the attraction leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Why is this?

First is the attraction itself. It reminds me a lot of "Pocahontas," which ended up being too serious for kids and too dumbed-down for adults. It seems SGE hit the same niche, and the results are not promising. It just seemed like it was a "compromised" attraction, which does not leave anyone completely satisfied. Of course, glaring plot holes and a questionable storyline doesn't help either. If Disney HAS TO keep Stitch, then I agree with everyone in favor of just tailoring it to kids, and really going for broke in that regard.

However, it is the context that the attraction is taken in that I really don't like. There is NO WAY you could convince me that "build the best attraction possible" was the mandate when SGE was in the planning stages. SGE was built for one reason and one reason only: to sell merchandise. I'm sure this corporate greediness permeates its way through the attraction, especially with its less than impressive storyline. But there is a bigger issue at work here: SGE is COMPROMISING the integrety of Tomorrowland. At least AE made sense being in Tomorrowland. But no, Disney insists on dumbing-down Tomorrowland by throwing Fantasyland characters into Walt's visions of the future. Disney is turning Tomorrowland into another Fantasyland, for no other reason than to save money and sell Stitch plush. Where is the Mission to Mars-type ride, or Timekeeper, or AE, or even Carousel of Progress? Surely even rides themed as such would not cost much more than Stitch? You're making Tomorrowland disappear, Stitch! Away with you!

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
Well, I agree with a lot of what you said there. Keep in mind though that this Tomorrowland isn't Walt's version. His was what the real future was going to be like, not the Fantasy-Future that never was.

Having said that, I absolutely LOVED our Tomorrowland. The zany world with robots and aliens is a great mix. But then they just had to add in Characters from Disney movies. A Character Invasion if you will. Not only is this out of place in Tomorrowland, it also ruins the land's theme and dumbs down the land for the rest of us. Alien Encounter did fit in to Tomorrowland. Timekeeper fits in. Even Astro Orbiter and the TTA Presented by Alamo Car Rentel do. But Stitch? And Buzz Lightyear? I think that Buzz Lightyear shouldn't have anything to do with toys. The Buzz in Tomorrowland should have been based on Buzz Lightyear the fictional TV series, not Toy Story 2!

And Stitch just ruins the theme. It SHOULD be 626, to heck with the marketing. The Story should come first. Instead you get this cartoony feel to all of Tomorrowland now, and that's not the feeling you should get. I won't go as far to say that Stitch shouldn't speak English, but saying his name in the attraction isn't, no, shouldn't be allowed. The story itself is full of holes, and there is a total lack of ending. Bad planning ruins the attraction if you experience it at night because of the Daytime screens, and there should be something much more dramatic at the end. Some amazing in-theater effects and explosions.

Tomorrowland has become Fantasyland East, and it seems that the only way to stop it is to NOT let merchandising and "synergy" have their way everytime. Now who in Disney has the guts to stick up for themselves?

PhotoDave219

Its a corporate culture that runs prevelant through all of corporate america... not just Disney. Synergy is the latest marketing buzzword to help integrate your enterprise solutions into a positive marketable guest expereince.....

... Ive been in a corporate town-hall meeting in Finance before. The dog and pony shows that tell what your department does. I'd have to find my notes but there was one department that was filled with nothing but corporate buzzwords and business doubletalk. Im a college grad and i didnt understand a @^%#ing word they had to say. Now Industral Engineering and Forecasting, they had simple, easy to follow presentations.... they speak english apparently....

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
But you see, I believe that we're slowly coming into the age of over-synergy. And I'm willing to bet people will start to take notice, and some might start doing something about it.

tigger248

If I may put my 2 cents in:
I think SGE was sorta doomed from the start, when they first tried to make it a prequel. It was a good idea. However, besides the plot holes, many of the problems also relate to Stitch himself. If it were a true prequel, he'd be Experiment 626, he wouldn't speak english (or at least it would be broken english), and he would be more defensive against humans (as was stated earlier).

I realize that they felt the need to make it the way it is because they wanted a recognizable character, just like the movie and tv shows. But, before he landed on earth and met Lilo, that wasn't how Stitch was. I agree that it would be more of a snooze fest if he spoke no english at all, but they could have at least done like the movie and had him speak some alien language and some english. That way the audience knows what is going on and it sticks with the story/setting.

I also hope that the dialogue majorly changes. I respect that some people like it, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I thought the "miss me, miss me now ya gotta kiss me" line was the corniest. I haven't seriously heard that phrase since I was in elementary school.

Remember in the movie before his escape? He was a drooling little monster who was scratching the glass and taking joy in insulting others with his alien expletives like "meenga na la kweesta". Super destructive? Probably not. But, I can't see that same guy as was in the opening scene of the movie saying "missed me missed me now ya gotta kiss me". It just probably wouldn't have happened. Once he had been on earth with Lilo for a while? Maybe.

Which is why I think part of the problem may be that this is labeled as a prequel. If it's gonna be a prequel, fine make it a real prequel. If it's not gonna be consistent with the already established story, then don't call it a prequel because it's not one.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Stitchfan712 said:
This is good overall and bad personally.

Good overall in that, with such mixed views of SGE, this may give it a second chance and I sincerely hope that it can help more people like it, though I still maintain that I didn't see as much negativity about it in person, as I saw online.

Bad personally in that, I love the storyline, and found myself repeating some of those clips in the park and laughing about it. It really was cute and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I personally don't want to see a change.

But whatever's better overall. Maybe the new storyline will be better. But i hope they keep these lines:

"Will you be my friend?"
"I got it!" (Cell phone ringing...please keep)
Stitch bouncing around: "Bouncy, bouncy, boing!"
the laughs at the end when he's teleported
Stitch tickling your hair
"You can't catch me!"
"Missed me, now you gotta kiss me!" (that one got LOTS of laughs every time I was there)

Keep those lines.
It has become popular to hate SGE…..much like you said in a previous post. Stitch has become the Jar Jar Binks of the Magic Kingdom. I really liked the ride. I wasn’t blown away by it and I think some tweaking is in order but I fear much like Jar Jar, Stich’s fate has been sealed.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
stitchfan said:
Well, if they are closing SGE for a rehab in Jan. '05, I'm gonna be a little upset...considering that the ride is one of the big reasons I've been jonesing to go to Disney World in the first place...and if the ride's closed in January, then I won't get to see it on my February trip. If improvements are made, then that's good on the whole for Stitch...just not for me, because I won't get to see them. :animwink:

If they want to re-script Stitch, then I'd like to see them include some of the things of the kind they show in his little game from the Disney site. Hearing that little blue alien sing the PotC "Pirate's Life for Me" song and "It's a Small World" as he cheerfully invades those rides is funny beyond belief...

Guess we'll wait and see...
From the rumors I am hearing it will still be open. I was told that there are 2 theaters in the ride. One will be closed and rehabed while the other remains open.

Stitchfan712

Why DOESN'T Stitch fit into Tomorrowland, Indy95?

He's an alien. the story is set based on a sci-fi theme of an alien detention center. I mean, come on, how much more sci-fi does it have to be to fit in the "tomorrow that never was" theme of Tomorrowland.

Carousel of Progress is a look into the PAST! and what it means for the future. So, you could argue, that Carousel really belongs in Epcot, not in Tomorrowland. After all, it's not really a bold vision of tomorrow it is it? All it does it inspire faith in the things to come based on how far we came in the past.

Buzz Lightyear? Full sci-fi. Very little, if anything, to do with the future of our planet earth.

You're making Tomorrowland disappear, Stitch! Away with you!

Ridiculous! How does Stitch not belong there but Buzz does? Expain this to me please.

Yoda is right.

Stitchfan712

Stitch will never please you.

This has to be understood now. It no longer matters what improvements they make to the ride. You have all written it off and won't give it a chance.

I truly am disappointed. Perhaps it isn't my place...but i really am disappointed in some of you. Jumping on the hate-SGE-before-we've-even-seen-it bandwagon, just so that your reputation points will stay in the green on this board and you'll be in good favor with those who consistently bash the ride and the character.

This is a big popularity contest. It's not what I came to this board for. It was for news, updates, and interesting discussion on what's going on in WDW. I didn't come here to watch a bash-fest for a character that I love. And I'm saddened to see this bandwagon effect from you guys that have never been there.

The video disappointed me, greatly.

you have to BE there to get it, to like it. You cannot base your opinion of the ride on the video alone. You can't even hear or feel the effects from the chair in that darn video, guys! You know, those long periods of dead air in the video are actually where stitch is toying around with you, and people seem to be enjoying that.

It is highly unfair and respectful to the people who built this attraction to judge it based solely on a rather poor video of the interior of the attraction that gives you no sense of what it's like to actually be there.

Disappointed. Very, very disappointed. Rep points be damned, shame on you.

Legacy

Stitchfan712 said:

This has to be understood now. It no longer matters what improvements they make to the ride. You have all written it off and won't give it a chance.

I truly am disappointed. Perhaps it isn't my place...but i really am disappointed in some of you. Jumping on the hate-SGE-before-we've-even-seen-it bandwagon, just so that your reputation points will stay in the green on this board and you'll be in good favor with those who consistently bash the ride and the character.

This is a big popularity contest. It's not what I came to this board for. It was for news, updates, and interesting discussion on what's going on in WDW. I didn't come here to watch a bash-fest for a character that I love. And I'm saddened to see this bandwagon effect from you guys that have never been there.

The video disappointed me, greatly.

you have to BE there to get it, to like it. You cannot base your opinion of the ride on the video alone. You can't even hear or feel the effects from the chair in that darn video, guys! You know, those long periods of dead air in the video are actually where stitch is toying around with you, and people seem to be enjoying that.

It is highly unfair and respectful to the people who built this attraction to judge it based solely on a rather poor video of the interior of the attraction that gives you no sense of what it's like to actually be there.

Disappointed. Very, very disappointed. Rep points be damned, shame on you.
Okay... I think you are getting way too defensive here.

I understand that you like the attraction, and I understand how much you like Stitch. However, reading through this thread (and the others) I have discovered a couple of things:

1. Most of the people who are vocally against the attraction are saying so because of their experience with it. Granted, some have negative feelings without riding it, but the majority does. Just because they don't like it, doesn't mean they should be shamed for it.

2. It seems to be a general concensus that the attraction has some serious problems. People who dislike, like and are nuetral towards all seem to feel that it could be better. That has nothing to do with the experience of the attraction itself, but it has to do with Disney Standards. An inconsistent story is NOT up to the Disney Standard. Regardless of how good the experience is, the story should be of utmost importance (especially on such a high-profile attraction). If a weak story is apparent, then it should be fixed as soon as possible.

3. Most of the people who haven't seen the attraction don't seem to be absolutely against Stitch. Most of them seem to be reserving their final opinions until they actually experience it. Their comments are more directed at the general sentiments than the attraction itself.

Don't think that because people don't like Stitch they are wrong. Everything is a matter of opinion, and they shouldn't be condemned for theirs. I honestly feel that some people should be more open to the differing opinions rather than getting so emotional.

Legacy

Stitchfan712 said:
Why DOESN'T Stitch fit into Tomorrowland, Indy95?

He's an alien. the story is set based on a sci-fi theme of an alien detention center. I mean, come on, how much more sci-fi does it have to be to fit in the "tomorrow that never was" theme of Tomorrowland.
The story is a prequel of a movie that takes place in the present.

Carousel of Progress is a look into the PAST! and what it means for the future. So, you could argue, that Carousel really belongs in Epcot, not in Tomorrowland. After all, it's not really a bold vision of tomorrow it is it? All it does it inspire faith in the things to come based on how far we came in the past.
And there are quite a few people who wouldn't mind seeing that move. The reason why it still sits in Tomorrowland is because it does promise a brighter Tomorrow.
Buzz Lightyear? Full sci-fi. Very little, if anything, to do with the future of our planet earth.

Ridiculous! How does Stitch not belong there but Buzz does? Expain this to me please.
Buzz DOESN'T belong in Tomorrowland. That is why people are complaining about the Character Invasion. Tomorrowland, at its very essence is about instilling hope for the future. It is suppose to be a testiment to human ingenuity and what technologies the future holds for mankind. That is why it is called TOMORROWland and not Sci-Fi Land. A plan science-fiction concept isn't enough for that section of the park. Disney/Pixar characters have NOTHING to do with idea, and instead feeble attempt to fit in through science. Even Space Mountain has a story of future space travel. Buzz and Stitch don't deal with any of that... and with TimeKeeper leaving us soon what Tomorrowland truly means will continue to disappear.

Stitchfan712

What I'm peeved about is the comment that Stitch is destroying Tomorrowland.

That really got to me. I like the storyline and the attraction but I understand some people don't. But it's going way too far to then blame Stitch for any problems at WDW when he hasn't even been open for a full month yet...and...there are rides like Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland that have a characer-based theme, yet set in a sci-fi world.

SGE is no different in that regard than Buzz. And Carousel has more to do with the past than the future, so i find that comment to be, well, incorrect.

I find it offensive, however, for someone to base this opinion not on actual experience, but on an incomplete VIDEO that they watched.

That is unfair. And that frustrates me to no end. People will judge SGE based not on what they have seen but what they've heard....

When I heard these negative things, I took them into account and my expectations were lowered, but I did not cast full judgement on the ride. The very least people can do is give it a chance before deciding, based on the "popular" opinions of others, that it's crap.

Im respect a negative opinion, just so long as there's a valid argument behind that opinion. Saying "I watched the video so it's crap" (no one here said those specific words but I am making a point) is not an opinion that I can personally respect.

dxwwf3

Stitchfan712 said:
Saying "I watched the video so it's crap" (no one here said those specific words but I am making a point) is not an opinion that I can personally respect.

I understand what you are saying. And for the record I haven't said anything about Stitch destroying Tomorrowland or that I've seen the show personally. And I also hope you know that I am trying to be reasonable in my discussions.

But the problem is that anyone who has seen the previous attraction actually CAN base their opinions on SGE from watching the video. We know the effects, we know when they are being used, and we know how they are being used. There is nothing new or different to be seen here (except the smell). That is the problem, IMO.

tigger248

Stitchfan712 said:

If you'd read my posts (along with others with hope for the attraction), you'd have seen me mention more than once how badly I wanted to like this attraction. I know I'm not alone when I say that. Stitch is among my favorite characters and I had a lot of hope for the attraction despite negative reviews. However, when I saw the attraction for the first time on a soft opening, I was dissappointed in it. My opinions are based on what I saw. In fact, I've never even watched the video. I just wanted you to know that the majority of us have based our opinions on what we've seen and we plan on giving it a second chance. Of course, not everyone will go see it again, but the majority of us most likely will. I know I plan on going to see it again, I just don't know when. Even in the old version, I vowed to not write it off completely and that I would see it again on my next trip. Now, I'm happy to see a new (hopefully) better version of it.

You have made some assumptions of all of us and blown many of our opinions out of proportion. I wish you would be a little bit less angry and understand where we're all coming from. Part of what made me dislike the attraction was also that when I saw it, Stitch never even turned all the way around, so we never saw his face. Since it wasn't fully open yet, I can only hope that they've at least changed that part of it already. How can you really like something when you never even see the front of the animatronic that you've heard so many good things about?

I really hope that the changes end up for the better. I desperately wanted to like this attraction, and now I have some hope for it. I will give it another chance and enter it next time with an open mind, which is basically what I've been saying all along.

We all respect that you liked this attraction, but I only ask that you can do the same and respect that some of us disliked the attraction.

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
Stitchfan712 said:
What I'm peeved about is the comment that Stitch is destroying Tomorrowland.

That really got to me. I like the storyline and the attraction but I understand some people don't. But it's going way too far to then blame Stitch for any problems at WDW when he hasn't even been open for a full month yet...and...there are rides like Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland that have a characer-based theme, yet set in a sci-fi world.
Exactly my point... Buzz shouldn't be in Tomorrowland the way he is. It should be based on the fictional TV show that was in Toy Sotry, not the actual movies and toys. My point being... it should look like a real Star Command, not one with a giant view-finder. No toys should be in Buzz. It should be more real, and less toy-ish.
SGE is no different in that regard than Buzz. And Carousel has more to do with the past than the future, so i find that comment to be, well, incorrect.
Carousel of Progress SHOULD be moved to Epcot. It doesn't fit in Tomorrowland as it is. However, I could see that if the Carousel of Progress was re-themed to be an exhibit in a futuristic museum somewhere, then it would work out in Tomorrowland. But as it is now, no, it doesn't fit. And I'd rather it not fit in Tomorrowland than be demolished completely for some Monsters Inc. ride.

I find it offensive, however, for someone to base this opinion not on actual experience, but on an incomplete VIDEO that they watched.

That is unfair. And that frustrates me to no end. People will judge SGE based not on what they have seen but what they've heard....
For the record, I agree with you completely on that, you can't judge an attraction by a video. However, I HAVE been on the attraction, and most of the people who are speaking out against the attraction have also been on it. The videos aren't really to blame. The actual attraction is.

When I heard these negative things, I took them into account and my expectations were lowered, but I did not cast full judgement on the ride. The very least people can do is give it a chance before deciding, based on the "popular" opinions of others, that it's crap.
That's fine, I agree with that.
Im respect a negative opinion, just so long as there's a valid argument behind that opinion. Saying "I watched the video so it's crap" (no one here said those specific words but I am making a point) is not an opinion that I can personally respect.
Nor is it one of mine. But I'd like some list of people who have actually been on the attraction. I have a feeling you think that a lot of people here have not actually experienced Stitch's Great Escape!, when in reality, they have.

So now I make a request. For everyone that reads this post, if you have ridden Stitch's Great Escape!, please tell us in your sig. I think that will help a lot. :)

dxwwf3

I haven't been on it and I am not claiming to have seen it personally. :wave:

I think most people on here have seen it in person.

DDuckFan130

I saw the attraction during the soft opening, and after it officially opened. It definitely made a difference seeing it after its official opening, because I noticed some changes. My favorite parts were the AA and the cannons. That, no one has denied its "awesome-ness" :lol:. Anyway, I do agree that it can stand a rehab, because like Kristin said, one problem was that not everyone can see Stitch's face. I was on one side that barely saw him, but saw him nonetheless. I also really did not like the chili dog smell (I prefer the skunk from JIYI and that's pretty bad!), so hopefully they can make the smell more pleasant. When I was there for soft openings, there were many children crying, but none cried when I experienced it the second time, which was good because the crying was distracting! In between my incessant rambling, what I mean to say is if the rehab means an improvement to the attraction, then I'm all for it!

TimeTrip

I have negative feelings about SGE that I've posted on different threads, and I only had those feelings and posted them after having been on the ride. So yes, I've been on it. :)

Stitchfan712

Actually, I do believe the majority here have experienced it.

I think a misunderstanding here was that I was going after the forum as a whole for daring to have a negative opinion of the ride.

That's not what I meant.

I'm peeved at the minority of folks who are writing it off, purely and simply because others here told them it wasn't good, or because they didn't like the video.

And this is happening a lot. It's almost like it's a popularity contest..."Well person A says it's bad, and person A is a big person here, so, he must be right! It's bad, I'll agree with him."

That's the impression I'm getting.

I'm saying, take the negative opinions into account, experience it for yourself, then form your own opinion.

Most of you have done that. I respect that. I don't respect "bandwagon", and never have.

And yes, after official opening, the animatronic does turn all the way around, you can see his face. There is one side of the theatre, though, where you have kind of a side-view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom